Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 51 1 2 49 50 51
M
M
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Hey dummy! Yeah, Mr UNwritten, I'm talking to you.
Don't you know your wife needs to know you will fight for her?
Laziness is not so attractive.

There's the problem, right there.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Originally Posted by Prisca
i, too, felt dr h was still behind the times in that clip on SF. he is so certain that women only want SF for affection, but he is not a woman! while i certainly appreciate affection, i want SF because i physically want SF, period. all that guff about "you don't need to have an orgasm every time, just being together and enjoying that closeness..." hogwash! my entire life i've felt that was a load of crap. anyhow, enough on that.
I hate to tell you this, but you are in the minority.
Dr. Harley is spot on. MOST women feel the way he describes.
Just because you happen to fall high on the bell curve does not make his statements "hogwash" or a "load of crap."

Yeah, but it sure makes you appreciate Joyce as the voice of balance on MB radio, doesn't it?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
V
V
The general attitude that women need romance drives me a little batty. I'm not big on romance.
This is what happens when a husband never gets on board with the marriage. The wife goes into withdrawal, and no longer cares about the romance.

That's the thing - even in our early dating days I just don't give a crap about romance. My DH wants more romantic type stuff than I do.

In general, the stereotypes that fit women just aren't me. I'm a tomboy, I'm type A, workaholic, work on the car, managed farms, I have no maternal insticts, I'm all business, straight to the point, very analytical, worked in warehouse, forklift operator, drive a huge truck, drive tractors and farm equipment. DH has the little cutsy sports car, not me!

DH is a graphic designer. He puts my clothes together, he'll pick out makeup and jewelry for me, he made and set up our wedding decorations. He picks all of the interior design stuff, he can't stand getting his hands dirty, he's more romantic and wants romance to have SF. He will keep up with the housework, SF is not and never will be one of this top 5 needs. He prefers conversation and affection to SF. Me... SF is my #1, Affection is #2, conversation is #4 or 5.

He's on board with the marriage, but I still don't care about romance. I think flowers are stupid (Walmart's bright dyed Daisies for $4.88 are all the flowers I care about having around), I'm allergic to chocolate. We date, we spend at least 20 hours in UA, but even when our relationship was on the rocks and I didn't think we'd make it and I was sure it was over, I still wanted and got SF. DH was the one that didn't want SF in those times.

I think that 95% of the population is different than I am, but don't say we're not onboard with the marriage because I don't give a crap about romance. I just don't care about romance. Heck, after 6 years living together I still get hot and bothered watching him get ready for work in the mornings, I'm way more visual than most women I guess.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
H
H
Originally Posted by Viscountess
The general attitude that women need romance drives me a little batty. I'm not big on romance.
This is what happens when a husband never gets on board with the marriage. The wife goes into withdrawal, and no longer cares about the romance.

That's the thing - even in our early dating days I just don't give a crap about romance. My DH wants more romantic type stuff than I do.

In general, the stereotypes that fit women just aren't me. I'm a tomboy, I'm type A, workaholic, work on the car, managed farms, I have no maternal insticts, I'm all business, straight to the point, very analytical, worked in warehouse, forklift operator, drive a huge truck, drive tractors and farm equipment. DH has the little cutsy sports car, not me!

DH is a graphic designer. He puts my clothes together, he'll pick out makeup and jewelry for me, he made and set up our wedding decorations. He picks all of the interior design stuff, he can't stand getting his hands dirty, he's more romantic and wants romance to have SF. He will keep up with the housework, SF is not and never will be one of this top 5 needs. He prefers conversation and affection to SF. Me... SF is my #1, Affection is #2, conversation is #4 or 5.

He's on board with the marriage, but I still don't care about romance. I think flowers are stupid (Walmart's bright dyed Daisies for $4.88 are all the flowers I care about having around), I'm allergic to chocolate. We date, we spend at least 20 hours in UA, but even when our relationship was on the rocks and I didn't think we'd make it and I was sure it was over, I still wanted and got SF. DH was the one that didn't want SF in those times.

I think that 95% of the population is different than I am, but don't say we're not onboard with the marriage because I don't give a crap about romance. I just don't care about romance. Heck, after 6 years living together I still get hot and bothered watching him get ready for work in the mornings, I'm way more visual than most women I guess.

Yet, the program still fits!

The way things are laid out, even if you aren't the "norm" the basic concepts are adaptable.

What?

UA time is about mutually enjoyable activities.

Needs are to be met in a mutually enjoyable and enthusastic fashion.

And, you rank your own needs and tell your spouse how you like them met.

No, you can't do the program a la carte, but it is adaptable.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

P
P
Originally Posted by Viscountess

But this thread isn't about you.
It is about unwritten.
And SHE is very much in withdrawal.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

L
L

I didn't hear the clip the same way. I have never heard Dr. Harley say that women want SF to get affection except for cases when they need affection so badly and it's the only time they get it. I also didn't hear him say that women needed romance in order to want sex. He was saying that usually they need to feel bonded with their husband to have sex with their husband. That they need to have some of their other intimate emotional needs met to feel bonded (and maybe his physical attractiveness is the top need). The woman may still crave sex and that drives the SF, but still not be fulfilled in other ways. This lack of fulfillment shows up as a dislike for sex with their husband for most women, but obviously not all. I don't know, but I'd think that with enough neglect of other top needs, even women with a high sex drive will lose that drive and become withdrawn.

UW, is how you're feeling at this time affecting your desire?

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
P
P
I don't know, but I'd think that with enough neglect of other top needs, even women with a high sex drive will lose that drive and become withdrawn.
You better believe it!

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

L
L
firstly, prisca, i did NOT say that dr harley was a load of crap. i distinctly said that during the course of my life, reading article after article in women's magazines & the like (including HNHN), about how women don't want sex like men do certainly made me feel, in response, "that's a load of crap!" because some women do. and believe me, i already know i'm in the minority without anyone at all pointing it out as if i'm unaware. i feel sorry for men! and just because unwritten and i do fall higher up the curve doesn't make our own needs less valid. as HHH pointed out (thanks!), MBing is about making your needs explicit so that they can be filled (not adhering to some stereotype of what needs are).

secondly, this thread doesn't appear to be about anyone at all at this point, sadly. unwritten has left the building. you really didn't need to be so snippy to viscountess, and frankly, i found you very rude. this is the third thread i've read today with several comments from you, and they all appear to be quite short tempered. are you having a bad day? we are all very much aware the UW is in withdrawal, especially as she stated so herself. i tend to take the horse's word for it, ya know?

LL, i have heard dr harley say, several times (probably because i often look for info on here about SF/ENs), that women want sex to fulfill their need for affection, because affection is not being met and having sex gets them the personal attention they are craving, though they'd rather have it in affection without having to get all messy. in fact, i have heard it directly in person from steve harley, who simply did not believe that SF was my #1 EN at that time. MB accounts for individual's individual ENs, but it's rather frustrating counselling with someone who then doesn't believe you are categorizing properly. i do understand that "MOST" men's own experiences have obviously been with women who, apparently i have heard, slow down the SF train shortly after the ring hits the finger, so it's no wonder that they *believe* this, but that experience does not completely invalidate the more, ahem, *rare* occurrences.

now, before there can be any further accusations of "this is not all about YOU," i'm just going to point out that for the last - what, 2 years? - UWs thread has been prodominantly about her unmet SF need. and if you don't like my response because it doesn't fit in w/your own experience (oh, but it's not about YOU, right?), then put me on mute.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
H
H
- this space reserved for inevitable moderator intervention -

The "Other Topics" forum has been known to allow CIVIL discussion.

P
P
Letty,

If you have a problem with my posts, please contact the moderators. smile

When you do lump Dr. Harley into categories of "hogwash" and "load of crap," I will point out to you how you are wrong. And those were your words, not mine.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Letty
you really didn't need to be so snippy to viscountess,

And vice versa, you know?

if you don't like my response because it doesn't fit in w/your own experience (oh, but it's not about YOU, right?), then put me on mute.

Can't just put you on mute if you're giving wrong MB info on another poster's thread. That's where I think people need to stand up and give the correct answer so the poster can receive help if they choose, along with any lurkers, people reading this thread ten years from now, etc.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Page 51 of 51 1 2 49 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation