Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
writer1 #2757920 09/30/13 09:30 PM
K
K
Sometimes we can't help it. You have to go to college to get a job to get insurance, but what if you don't have parents that can provide insurance while you are in college?

Sure you can get a fulltime job in college, but what sort of insurance will you get from a typical college-age entry-level job that won't push you farther over the edge?

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
karmasrose #2757936 10/01/13 01:42 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Sometimes we can't help it. You have to go to college to get a job to get insurance, but what if you don't have parents that can provide insurance while you are in college?

Sure you can get a fulltime job in college, but what sort of insurance will you get from a typical college-age entry-level job that won't push you farther over the edge?

I had a job that provided medical, dental, and vision benefits for me and my family at 19.

However, that same job (grocery) today is radically different. Especially in the front end, where I worked.

NGB still works grocery, but she has been in a department - just recently promoted to produce manager. So, full family coverage for $18/week employee contribution.

Whereas my job (long-term care and rehabilitation) it would cost $1500/month for medical-only family coverage.

All being said - the cost of coverage isn't the seat of the issue, it's the cost of care.

But, the philosophy here is increasing coverage will help to drive down the cost of care, because inability to pay, or unpaid care costs are a large driver of increasing care costs. This largely reflects hospital costs, though. Clinics and private practices can turn away patients while hospitals generally can not.

Also, having a larger pool of payers into coverage should theoretically drive down coverage costs. Either that, or create record profits for providers....

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
HoldHerHand #2758100 10/01/13 06:05 PM
K
K
I'm banking on record profits...

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
karmasrose #2758160 10/02/13 08:39 AM
E
E
For my son, who is 22 and an hourly employee at a retail store, his hours were drastically reduced so that the employer didn't have to offer him health insurance. He can hardly pay his bills and I don't see him moving out of my parent's basement any time soon.

Everthesame #2758163 10/02/13 08:54 AM
W
W
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen
For my son, who is 22 and an hourly employee at a retail store, his hours were drastically reduced so that the employer didn't have to offer him health insurance. He can hardly pay his bills and I don't see him moving out of my parent's basement any time soon.

The good thing is, if you are able, he can now be covered on your insurance until he is 26. We have all of our adult kids on our insurance and it doesn't cost us anything extra. There are three tiers to our insurance: individual, couple, or family. Since we have a 5-year-old, we have to get the "family" coverage, but the premium doesn't increase no matter how many people are in the family. So we pay the same to cover seven people as we would to cover three.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
writer1 #2758187 10/02/13 10:42 AM
E
E
Yes, he is covered by my insurance and his employer knows that, but they still cut hos hours. He has been looking for full time work all summer.

Everthesame #2758259 10/02/13 05:12 PM
M
M
Dear valued board members, after discussion with Dr. Harley, we have made a decision to avoid political topics on Marriage Builders. The Board Rules have been changed to reflect this new policy. In view of this new policy, we will lock this thread.

We appreciate the respectful way you have conducted yourselves on this thread, by the way. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact me directly. Thank you all.

mbsurvivor11@gmail.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation