Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 52 of 54 1 2 50 51 52 53 54
P
P
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Originally Posted by SusieQ
The fact ia that men looking for a mate try to avoid serial daters because there is no future or reward in pursuing more dates.
If i went on one date with a serial dater and she wanted to be friends and go out, i would agree to it but i would try to meet her friends and ask for phone numbers.

I have met many single men who are divorced with children and not looking to rush into marriage either. They would be willing to date long term and hold off on marriage for a few years. When you are only dating when your children are with your ex, it puts the brakes on a relationship and slows it down considerably anyway. That has been my experience.

For how long will a man agree to have dates with no prospect of marriage or sex?
15 years? 5 years?
People are different in a decade.
mens top emotional need is sex. Basically you are saying there are men that will live as a monk because a woman they date won't commit to marriage? I suppose there are some.

She didn't say that at all.
The point is not to date someone for 5 years or 15 years (although I've known good people who have done just that). The point is to date AROUND. Date 30 people.

He can date her for a few months or a few years, then move on when he is ready to get married.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
For how long will a man agree to have dates with no prospect of marriage or sex?
15 years? 5 years?
People are different in a decade.
mens top emotional need is sex. Basically you are saying there are men that will live as a monk because a woman they date won't commit to marriage? I suppose there are some.
This is a strawman.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
J
Originally Posted by Prisca
I disagree.

If something were to happen to markos before the kids were grown, I would date causally for the fun of it. I would make opposite sex friends. But I would not remarry until the kids are grown.

And there are men out there -- DECENT men -- who also are willing to date causally and aren't looking for a long-term relationship or sex. I've dated them. It's all about boundaries -- the guys who just wanted sex never made it past "Hello."

It probably also depends on the circles you run it, too. If that kind of guy isn't in your circle, find a new group. They exist.

You can find friends at the YMCA. Dating is traditionally for finding a mate.

Not really. Dating is to have fun with members of the opposite sex. One purpose may be to find a mate, but it is not necessarily THE purpose.

Dr. Harley himself was a casual dater. He dated "placeholders" he had no interest in marrying just because he wanted the companionship of a female. There is nothing wrong with doing that, and there are fine and decent people who do just that.

When dr harley did that he was a teenager.
The reason why he advocas dating around is to find someone that meets your emotional needs.
I have never heard him advocate dating for the purpose of finding friends. That is something that has evolved on this forum, not from his books or radio show.

Administrator
Administrator
A reminder that the purpose of this forum is to discuss Marriage Builders concepts and Dr. Harley's views. This is not a platform for personal philosophies and folk wisdom. If you are going to post here, you must abide by those rules, or kindly refrain from posting. If you disagree with Dr. Harley's views, feel free to email him directly at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com.

mizar.mb1@gmail.com
P
P
I have never heard him advocate dating for the purpose of finding friends.
Another strawman.

When dr harley did that he was a teenager.
The reason why he advocas dating around is to find someone that meets your emotional needs.
I have never heard him advocate dating for the purpose of finding friends. That is something that has evolved on this forum, not from his books or radio show.
Dr. Harley does not tell people to only date placeholders if they are teenagers.

Dr. Harley does not say to date only when you are trying to find a mate. That goes against his placeholder advice.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
J
For clarification:
People have emotional needs. One of them is sex.
After divorce, Harley is cautious in recommending remarriage because of the high failure rate. He often advises women to gain independence after divorce and receive an education if needed so they can support themselves and their children. He has observed that women seem to do well on their own when not in a relationship.
He has often advised women to not remarry until after the kids are out of the house because of the high divorce rate. However, many women refuse to wait that long. One recent poster (a divorced woman with kids)contacted Dr Harley and said she was in love with her new boyfriend and he encouraged her to marry him.
Harleys main focus is on preaching the Policy of Joint Agreement. Everything revolves around that. As he explained on my radio call, remarriages can be very successful if the POJA is followed.
One thing he would never recommend is cohabitation before marriage. Over the years, some posters will invite their boyfriends to spend the night on the couch or go on trips. Harley would not advocate that with children.

Much of the focus on dating for friendships seemed to start a couple years ago when he recommended to a few callers to date and develop friends with the opposite sex. One of these callers was a man that was admittedly scared of women. Harley advocating developing female friends, not as the end but rather as the means to the end which would be ability to have a romantic relationship.

Personally,i think there is nothing wrong with dating to find friends but if i was dating a woman to be friends it would be 50/50 and not a date. Many men follow guides of traditional dating and ** EDIT ** has been mentioned on other forums which advocates men keep dates as dates and friends as friends.

Oh btw the poster that Harley recommended get married: She started dating after divorce for "casual dating" and fell in love. If an individual is going on dates with the mindset of "i will not fall in love and this is for fun" they may have a great time but the so called "friendships" will quickly end once the "friend" finds a person that wants to pursue romance. I dont see much ROI on such friendships.

Since your son lives with you 50% of the time, i dont know what harley would advise. As markos suggested you should write to him and ask him to answer your question on the air. But remember everything he saya revolves around the POJA so it would be imperative that it would be followed in any future marriage.

Last edited by Mizar; 08/02/15 06:16 PM. Reason: TOS
P
P
The only person I've seen that has said anything about dating for friendship on this thread has been you, Jedi.

Casually dating placeholders for years until you are ready for marriage does not equal "dating for friendship."

If an individual is going on dates with the mindset of "i will not fall in love and this is for fun" they may have a great time but the so called "friendships" will quickly end once the "friend" finds a person that wants to pursue romance.
I think that's pretty much a given.

I dont see much ROI on such friendships.
Many people do see a benefit to this casual type of relationship, including Dr. Harley. The people dating casually do not think of it as a "friendship," and neither does Dr. Harley. His term is "placeholder."

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

J
J
Well then i guess this poster should post an ad on internet dating that she is looking for placeholders and see who responds

S
S
Jedi, you just sound anti-dating to me.

Why do you care so much if people like to date but don't plan to remarry until their children are grown?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
P
P
Or perhaps she can follow the advice of those who have successfully dated placeholders, such as Susie.

If you have a problem with Dr. Harley's placeholder advice, maybe you should contact him to discuss it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
S
Well then i guess this poster should post an ad on internet dating that she is looking for placeholders and see who responds

I have heard Dr Harley say that he would even advocate dating to help someone move on from a bad break up. I doubt he would advocate advertising that.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
J
J

Why do you care so much if people like to date but don't plan to remarry until their children are grown?

I have no problem with that.
th point i am making is that this is not a "rule" of dr. Harley.

P
P
There's no rules for dating, there's just advice.

Dr. Harley often strongly advises women to not remarry before the children are grown, but also to casually date placeholders with no plans to marry.

This is Dr. Harley's advice, not just the forum's.

Why do you feel the need to contradict that advice?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
S
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Ok. I got advice from Dr. Harley--

Take it slow. Don't date for at least a year until you establish yourself as a single mother. He said I was young enough to conceivably date men with no children and to do that if possible. He said to be very vigilant and in evaluation mode from a distance as long as possible if I do start dating.
So he's ok with dating with some conditions/precautions.

Did he say anything about remarriage?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S

I have no problem with that.
th point i am making is that this is not a "rule" of dr. Harley.

Ok, I was just wondering because like I said earlier, I remember you posting negative stuff about online dating and people only wanting sex. The reason I specifically remember that was because you scared me!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
P
P
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Ok. I got advice from Dr. Harley--

Take it slow. Don't date for at least a year until you establish yourself as a single mother. He said I was young enough to conceivably date men with no children and to do that if possible. He said to be very vigilant and in evaluation mode from a distance as long as possible if I do start dating.
So he's ok with dating with some conditions/precautions.

Did he say anything about remarriage?

He said ideally to wait until she was out of the house, but to take it "year by year." There was an acknowledgement that waiting 15 years to to have your needs met may not be realistically possible, so he encouraged me to wait as long as possible--but at least a year. At that time, reevaluate. If I do decided to date, try to date men without kids if possible to lessen the risks.

I think this is pretty much caution and hedging your bets kind of advice. The longer you wait to date with kids, the easier it is to just not date and you may decide you don't want to. Also, the standards get higher if you are not trying to rush and rebound because you miss the trappings of getting married. He basically said, "if you fall in love and want to marry, you need to weigh that against the risks of a blended family," which is true.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
J
J
Well piglets child is 3 so she will need to wait 15 years to remarry or have sex.
How many men will say, okay i wjll wait 15 years for you?

If I were Piglet and going to follow Dr Harley's advice on remarriage, I would probably just avoid dating until my child was much older.

Okay. Here's the thing: i probably predict she will contact dr harley and he will tell her to date and find a husband.
But we will see

Do i win a prize?

P
P
There's no rules for dating, there's just advice.

Dr. Harley often strongly advises women to not remarry before the children are grown, but also to casually date placeholders with no plans to marry.

This is Dr. Harley's advice, not just the forum's.

Why do you feel the need to contradict that advice?

Here is the issue with this--and I also think what Dr. Harley was saying to me as well. With dating ALWAYS comes the risk of falling in love. It just does. When that happens, as we know, all bets are off. That is why he encouraged me to WAIT as long as possible to date at all. OS friendships lead to love, we all know that.

One cannot say in one breath, "affairs are caused by OS friendships" and then say, "I can have OS friendships as a divorced person and it won't lead to falling in love or having sex or getting married for years and years" in another. It can and it may very well lead to falling in love and then we know it's extremely hard to control.

So go ahead and date, but don't pretend like it can't lead to a love affair. It can. And then, you might have sex. Or might want to risk a blended family.

If you want to stay single, the best thing to do is not to date.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
A
A
This has been quite an interesting discussion to follow.

My position would be on Jedi's side of the argument.

Maybe dating vs courting would be a more precise way to distinguish what we're talking about here?

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
J
J
Originally Posted by axslinger85
This has been quite an interesting discussion to follow.

My position would be on Jedi's side of the argument.

Maybe dating vs courting would be a more precise way to distinguish what we're talking about here?

I agree. Its a definition of the word.
** EDIT **
The American Heritage Dictionary defines date as "An appointment to meet socially at a particular time; especially with a member of the opposite sex."

So I was incorrect considering the definition of the word. Of course men and women can have dates.

Last edited by Mizar; 08/02/15 06:15 PM. Reason: TOS
Page 52 of 54 1 2 50 51 52 53 54

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation