Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
#2762116 10/23/13 02:46 PM
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Here is a quick summary of my story.

BS, me 35 years
WH, 34 years
married for 9 years
tree kids: D6, D4, S4mos

WH meet OW at college. He was at vet school. OW is my student ( this is the link for that part) .
We are now in recovery. I do have some questions

I see OW everyday at campus. I can not handle the stress anymore. I feel anxious of seeing her. After exposure she lied to everyone saying that it was not true. WH has not been back to school ever since. So everytime I walk into her and her friends I can feel their eyes on me, talking.

At home we are getting better, but just coming to campus is too much for me and I have no strenght after a day of work to go home and be the loving wife WH needs to have. Is like re-living D-day every day.

I've read some of you are in similar situations, how do you handle seeing the OP, even if WH is not present?

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
E
E
There is no way in heck that I could handle seeing the OW on a daily basis and not rip her throat out. smile That being said, it doesn't seem that she will leave the school. The saying goes that you can only control you. You will have to make changes in YOUR life to avoid her. It sucks as we already give up so much being betrayed but you need to find a way to protect you and your marriage.

Can you teach at a different campus through the school? It may be that you will have to leave that school and teach somewhere else. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Rocketqueen; 10/23/13 03:02 PM.
L
L
No Contact for life goes for both spouses. That means not only does your husband never see or contact that OW again but you should also never see or contact her. Dr. Harley even advises betrayed spouses not to google OW/OM name, look them up in FB, or any other way to get a glimpse once recovery has begun.

Seeing her will always serve as a painful reminder of what she and your H did to you.

How long will she be at the school? Can you work in another department? Take a sabbatical? Work in another school a long distance away?

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
L
L
What about taking a temporary medical leave of absence?

Would that affect your employment status?

LTL

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Unless I look for another job, which I find very hard, I will be seing her for five more years.

I'm not sure I can find another job soon. I work at a college and teaching positions are so hard to find. There is no other campus where I can teach.

I just came back from maternity leave.I have been thinking of doing a postdoc, but it might take me about a year to materialize it.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi it's me again. I have been reading other trheads and got some insight but I would like to get some feedback.

Just a quick summary of what had happened. WH is at home, he droped out of shcool. He is taking care of the house now. He's never been a happy SAHD, he's done it but hever been confortable with that. He is looking for a job.

We've done the EN's questionarie, we did his part, and he hasn't asked to do mine. His excuse, is that it's in english and he can't read it.

We visited the priest.
We have spent UA time, but it has not worked so great. For instance we started chatting about my work, and it triggered the talk he had with OW about how we only talk about my work.
We went to the museum last friday with the girls. I disappeared for about an hour, he didn't batted an eye.
Last night we were talking about how the A started and he told me about how OW asked him for a hug. He said that was the start, and I replied, well you liked her from before. He laughed.

To me it looks he is still in the fog, I asked him what he tought of her, he said it was a nice friendship,but that was all. He said this about 10 days ago.

So to me it looks like we need to move into protection phase, and finish it. So far this is what he has done.
-Went to confession
-Talked to the priest
-Change his cell phone number
-Done his EM's questionarie
-Quit using FB

I'm writting my letter right now, and this is what I would like for him to do in addition to the above.
- No contact letter. He has agreed to it, but has not written the letter
- Give me access to his cell phone. I can usually see his cell phone, but we haven said it outloud.
-Say sorry to my mom, his mom, my sisters, his sisters. Talk to my D6 and write a letter to my other two kids (D4, S4mos). All of these with me present.
-Give me a written recovery plan
-Find my EN's and work on them
-STD test
-Go over the A with me, and give me all the details- As far as I can tell he can still remember all the details.

Do you think this would be enoguh or shall I move into Plan B (I did exposure and he left for two days, but it wasnt plan B for real).

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Forgot to say, I'm teaching at a different buidling for now.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
E
E
Alada, Melodylane posted this in the SAA section but I'm re-posting it for you here:

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

I would suggest that these get done as soon as possible so that you can move on to marital recovery. It sounds like your WH is going through withdrawal from his AP. This may take a few weeks and DR Harley talks about it in Surviving an Affair. Do you have that book? If not, I highly recommend you get it.

I'm glad you were able to change buildings. Is that do-able for you for now?

Last edited by Rocketqueen; 10/29/13 05:48 AM.
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_x____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_x____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_x____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

__x___The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

__x___Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

__x___Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

__x___Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

__x___Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

__x___ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Yesterday we had a long talk, he wrote the NC and agreed to no contact at all. He gave me all the deatils of the A. And we went over EP based on all the deatils he gave me. For instance, he said the spart started with a hug,well one of the EP is never ever hug another woman.

In regards to the ones we are missing, he does make money, and did not spend money with OW. The A took place at school. He didn't change jobs but drop out of school.

I think we had a great session last night.

Last edited by Alada; 10/29/13 09:50 AM.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I don't understand what

Allow technical accountability.

means.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
E
E
Originally Posted by Alada
I don't understand what

Allow technical accountability.

means.

That would refer to GPS tracker, spyware on phone, keylogger on PC, etc

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Mmm, don't think any of that is available on my country. I have googled the spyware but it only works with certain companies.

However, he is not using the car anymore, he is a SAHD now, and has agreed to exchange cellphones with me, whenever I feel like.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
wH talked to D6 last night, before that D6 asked me if we were divorcing. I told her no, and called wH to come talk to her. It was ver emotive, D6 cried and hugged his daddy.

It definetely helped wH realize how bad his judgement was.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Last night he confessed one more lie. Initially he have told me that he sent her a last msj asking her not to contact him anymore. It turns out it was a happy birthday msj.

I asked him to leave the house, don't know if that was correct, what do you think? Should I be in plan B now?

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
E
E
Did he change his cell number before or after that last message? Was that message sent after the NC letter? If this is trickle truth from before recovery, you can have him take a polygraph to see is there are anymore lie and give him a chance to "own up" before hand.

For me, a breach in NC by Kiss after NC letter being sent would have me in a lawyer's office at the earliest appointment.

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for you quick response Rocketqueen.

The message was sent before he changed cell phone numbers. We just sent the NC letter yesterday, so the msj was before the NC letter.

I just wrote a letter for WH asking him to
*write a full confession
*write an apology
*explain why this happened
*a detailed recovery plan
*proof that he is actively doing something

And I'm asking him to come home until he has all of the above, not before. I have not yet given him the letter, I'm waiting for feedback from you guys.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
C
C
Originally Posted by Alada
Thanks for you quick response Rocketqueen.

The message was sent before he changed cell phone numbers. We just sent the NC letter yesterday, so the msj was before the NC letter.

I just wrote a letter for WH asking him to
*write a full confession
*write an apology
*a detailed recovery plan
*proof that he is actively doing something

And I'm asking him to come home until he has all of the above, not before. I have not yet given him the letter, I'm waiting for feedback from you guys.

Hi Alada;

Don't waste time getting him to tell you WHY this A happened. The reason WHY is that he allowed someone other than his wife to meet his EN's. He had poor boundaries that did not protect his marriage. He acted selfishly, and was not considering you at all.

Getting a wayward to think about WHY usually leads them to think about how it was YOUR fault. Plus, he will still be a bit in the fog of the A, and will not see his own selfishness clearly.

Instead, you might get him to consider what were the conditions that led to the A. These are the things that will need changing. Things that allowed him to have a secret second life. Conditions that allowed him to have his EN's met outside of marriage (spending time with a member of the opposite gender; having personal conversations, taking admiration from her, keeping it all a secret from you, etc.)

Me: BW, 57 fWH: 63 (Taffy1) Serial cheater
Presently on the Recovery Road, in the Online program.
A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks catwhit

When we did the EN's questionarie, we talked about what you are suggesting. At the begining he would say he didn't know why, after the questionarie, he clearly identified the reasons. Maybe change the wording.
Instead of
include something like
* create a plan to avoid future A

what do you think?

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
E
E
Exactly what catwhit said. As for the recovery plan, Dr' Harley already has one and your husband should agree to follow it.

From the articles section here

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Four Rules to Guide Marital Recovery
After you are through withdrawal from the addiction to your lover, your depression will have lifted and you will no longer feel a craving to talk to your lover. At that time you will be ready to put into place rules that will guide you and your husband toward a deep love for each other. After you have followed the rules for a while (six months to two years), you and your husband will be soul-mates.

These are the Four Rules to Guide Marital Recovery that you and your husband should follow to help you restore your love for eachother:

1. The Rule of Protection: Avoid being the cause of your spouse's unhappiness.

If you and your husband want to be in love with each other, you must build your Love Bank accounts. But before you build them, you must be sure there are no leaks in the Love Bank. It's pointless to deposit love units into a sieve, where every deposit is promptly withdrawn by a Love Buster. So you must make a special effort to plug up those leaks by committing yourselves to avoid being the cause of each other's unhappiness.

The most obvious things spouses do to ruin their love for each other is what I call Love Busters. They are angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments, annoying behavior, selfish demands and dishonesty. I describe these destructive habits in my basic concepts, but if you need special help learning how to avoid them, I suggest you read, Love Busters: Overcoming Habits that Destroy Romantic Love. This book will help you identify the Love Busters that keep emptying your Love Bank accounts, and show you how to stop inflicting them on each other.

Most of the Q&A columns I've posted on the Marriage Buildersᆴ web site focuses attention on the Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse). This policy protects both you and your husband from each other thoughtless decisions. Your affair was a blatant example of thoughtlessness on your part because you knew it would hurt your husband, but you went ahead and did it anyway. The Policy of Joint Agreement is a very important guide to helping you keep the Rule of Protection. That's because it helps you realize that anything you do that hurts your husband is off limits to you, regardless of how wonderful it makes you feel.

If you had followed the Policy of Joint Agreement, you would never have had an affair. But the Policy will also help you avoid hurting each other in a host of other ways, too. My book, Fall in Love, Stay in Love, can help you learn how to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement, and use it to negotiate agreements that are fair for both of you. Once you learn to negotiate with each other fairly, you will have learned how to follow the Rule of Protection.

2. The Rule of Care: Meet your spouse's most important emotional needs.

The way to deposit the most love units is to meet a person's most important emotional needs. Your lover did that when he wrote you all those e-mail letters because conversation was your most important emotional need. After one month of filling your Love Bank with thousands of love units that were e-mailed to you, you found him irresistible -- you were in love with him.

Conversation is not your only important emotional need. Affection, recreational companionship, admiration and sexual fulfillment may be some of the other important emotional needs that your lover met. Unless your husband eventually meets your must important needs as well as your lover met them, you will be frustrated and at risk for another affair.

Sometimes a spouse must learn to meet a need that he or she has never been very effective in meeting. Many of the spouses I've counseled have had to learn to be affectionate for the first time in their lives. They also have had to learn to be stimulating conversationalists and skilled lovers. They have had to learn to provide greater financial support, become more effective in their parenting skills and learn to become admiring instead of being critical. New habits that lead to need fulfillment can be learned by anyone. All it takes is a plan and willingness to follow it until expert level is achieved.

But your husband may already know how to meet your emotional needs. An important reason that you had an affair was that your husband's work schedule prevented him from giving you the attention you craved from him. When you and your husband agree to follow this second Rule to Recovery, his work schedule will no longer stand between you, because meeting your needs will become your husband's highest priority. All the needs that your lover was meeting for you will be met by your husband in the future.

If you need help identifying and learning how to meet each other's important emotional needs, I suggest you read, His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-proof Marriage. It describes the ten most important emotional needs for men and women, and how to become an expert at meeting those needs. When your husband has learned to meet your needs, he will be depositing so many love units that his account in your Love Bank will be overflowing. By then, you will be thoroughly convinced that leaving your lover to rebuild your marriage was the right decision to make.

3: The Rule of Time: Give your spouse your undivided attention.

You indicated in your letter that it was the lack of your spouse's attention that drove you into the arms of your lover. But it may have been more a lack of time than a lack of attention. As I already mentioned, your husband may already know how to meet your emotional needs, but unless he sets aside enough time to do it, all of his skill does you no good at all. It's the man who gives you time for undivided attention who will win your heart.

I suggest that you and your husband plan to spend at least 15 hours each week together, giving each other your undivided attention. Use that time to meet each other's emotional needs for affection, conversation, recreational companionship and sexual fulfillment. I have found that if that amount of time is taken to meet emotional needs, you can spend the rest of your 100 waking hours each week doing just about anything you please, without any risk to your love for each other. But if you do not set aside that time, your good intentions will not buy you a single love unit.

Since most everything we do must be scheduled or we don't do it, I suggest you take about a half an hour each week (say, Sunday afternoon from 3:30 to 4:00) to schedule your time together for the next week. Get out your schedules and write each other into your appointment books. Once scheduled, don't let anything interfere with your time together.

I suggest spending the same days and times together every week because it's easier to remember than a new time each week. Besides, you can be better emotionally prepared to be with each other if you always know that Tuesday evening you will be together from 7 to 10.

I also suggest that you spend time together when you have plenty of energy. Don't give each other the leftovers, give each other the best of yourselves. That's why I generally rule out time together after 11:00 pm. For one thing, you need your sleep for the challenges of the next day, and for another, there are not too many people who are at their best that late at night.

Finally, I suggest that you spread your time out every week, giving each other at least one hour of undivided attention every day. I am generally opposed to cramming all of your time together into a marathon weekend of 15 hours, because undivided attention is required, and 15 hours of anything makes undivided attention almost impossible.

4. The Rule of Honesty: Be completely honest with your spouse.

We have already discussed honesty as an extraordinary precaution to prevent you from contacting your lover, so I won't say much more about it. But what you begin as an extraordinary precaution, must become the standard way you and your husband communicate with each other -- with openness and honesty.

You have not been honest with your husband. If you had been honest, you could never have had an affair. Your honesty is your husband's greatest protection because it lets him know what you are up to. It also helps you both make adjustments to each other. Instead of having an affair, you should have told him how unhappy you were with his negligence of you, and how you were falling in love with another man who would give you his time and attention. If you had ended the budding relationship then, and focused on getting more of your husband's undivided attention, you would not have put both of you through such an ordeal.

The Basic Concepts section of this web site contains a section entitled, "the Policy of Radical Honesty." It outlines precisely what the rule of honesty is. It's complete honesty. I want you to read it over very carefully, because it explains precisely how honest you and your husband are to be with each other.

But be careful not to let Love Busters ruin the purity and value of honesty. Keep anger, disrespect and demands out of your honest expression of facts and feelings. If you can do that, you will find your honesty will not only help you find solutions to your problems, but it will also draw you closer together, and help you become the soul-mates that you can be.

If you are willing to permanently end your relationship with your lover (never see or communicate with him again), get through withdrawal, and then you and your husband follow the Four Rules to Guide Marital Recovery, I guarantee you that you will have a great marriage. And I also guarantee you that neither of you will ever suffer through an affair again.

A
Alada Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you rocketqueen, I will print this out.

Do you think then that I should ask him to leave until he is ready or should I work with him at home?

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation