Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2762612 10/25/13 08:48 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
I approach the subject of forgiveness from the perspective of someone (me) who believes in forgiveness, but also believes that marriage should be fair. Since, in many cases, forgiveness is unfair, what should be done? As you will see in my responses to the three letters I've chosen, I support just compensation for some marital offenses, so I don't always recommend forgiveness. It should be an encouragement to those of you who have been feeling guilty about being unable to forgive and forget. But, at the same time, it should also encourage offenders, because the compensation I propose will earn you a terrific marriage, and it won't hurt at all.
Can We Just Forgive and Forget?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Coping with Infidelity: Part 3 Restoring the Marital Relationship

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Ideally, as I discussed in Part 2 of this series, an unfaithful spouse should choose to permanently separate from a lover and return to his or her spouse to rebuild the marriage. In that situation, after a period of withdrawal, both spouses usually attack the task of marriage rebuilding with a remarkable zeal. Granted, there are scars, but the fact that the unfaithful spouse was willing to abandon the lover to save the marriage is usually viewed as an appropriate first payment toward just compensation. Especially if there is willingness to make the other payments, to overcome Love Busters, do a better job meeting the victimized spouse's emotional needs, and create a more integrated lifestyle.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Great clip on just compensation.
Radio Clip on Just Compensation

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
This is a wonderful post on just compensation by MrsW.
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Originally Posted by feuillecouleur
nothing

i have offered nothing

guess i need to do some research on just compensation

Here's a good start...

Can't We Just Forgive and Forget?

Coping With Infidelity Part 3 - Restoring the Marital Relationship

FC -- You would be wise to read every single thing on this website AND all of Dr. Harley's books. You are a school teacher for goodness sakes -- Arming yourself with knowledge must be second nature to you, no?

Here's another way to think of JC in girl terms:

What if you loaned me your very best handbag -- let's say it was a Coach bag. I took it out and completely ruined it -- got Sharpie Marker all over it -- spilled olive oil on it and took it with me to a bar where someone was smoking a cigar and burned a giant hole in it. It's obviously beyond repair, and you are understandably torn up about it -- upset -- resentful -- ANGRY. Naturally, you no longer trust me. But the next day I come to your door and offer you an old Coach bag I found at a Thrift Shop to replace yours -- it's the same style and color as the one I borrowed from you, but it's old and ragged, and plus it's not YOUR BAG! You had loved that bag so much!

You take it, but you aren't happy with it. I really didn't appear all that sorry about what I'd done to yours -- in fact, I acted as though you should be GRATEFUL that I even bothered giving you a bag at all.

That would really suck, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, what if instead I had come to you apologizing for my carelessness and negligence, asked your forgiveness, promised never to do something like that again -- and backed up that promise with an action that demonstrated my sincerity -- like say replacing your bag with a brand new Hermes Birkin bag?

You might feel just a little different towards me then, eh?

FC, you threw a grenade into your marriage, have done nothing to help repair the damage that you caused, and now have the audacity to complain about that damage and act as though someone else is at fault for it? REALLY? Get a grip! You can do better than this.

Mrs. W

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
Radio Clip on Just Compensation.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
Another good clip.

Janie writes is there any hope? Her husband had an affair and was physically abusive, and she is concerned about his lack of just compensation. They have both been married before, he brought 2 children into the marriage. After a brief and wonderful courtship they married and now for the past 7 years he has been a Dr. jekyll and Mr. hyde. He had an affair and does not want to expose it.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
An excellent clip on forgiveness.

Radio Clip on Forgiveness

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

D
D
Yes BH good clip, if waywards weren't so foggy this would make uncontested sense. Its so eye opening how this program is based around Bible. I love it when people with intelligence use the Bible in a modern setting.

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
Is it possible to trust after infidelity?
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
A website reader writes how she is relieved that, in time, trust can be restored after an affair.
Radio Clip

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
Bump

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation