Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
L
Originally Posted by DumbMan
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate
You spent less than 5 hours on this forum and gave up.

Are you submitting a letter on behalf of your Wife to be sent to the OW's contacts that were exposed to, so that they can get the true reality of the affair and decimation of your family so that your W will not have to be touted as some crazy psycho who fabricated the events, contrary to what your OW has inevitably spun a ludicrous story about her.

LTL
yes I will fashion a letter, thank u 4 some direction/guidance I'm new 2 the board & looking 4 help.I guess I'm just having a hissy fit, thank u 4 u r response.

Words are VERY cheap and meaningless from someone who has led a secret second life, especially for an extended period of time and then topped off with alerting the OW so that she could divert the exposure.

Show your intent with regular safe Actions.

LTL

S
S
I got up early to see what you had said since last night. I see you've already thrown in the towel once because nobody is showing you "compassion". I am disgusted, but not surprised.

Let's hope that when YOU get up your attitude is different.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
G
G
Originally Posted by GloveOil

Why'd you do it? Why'd you make that call?
your absolutely right with the rest of u r letter there was so much I learned from mb since we started I honestly was so stupid we both agree we both were stupid we were affairs looking 4 place 2 happen. as far as why I did it honestly I never intended 2 hurt anyone with my behavior I honestly still don't want 2 hurt anyone. Especially my wife, I had no idea affairs could be so devastating.back 2 that question I tried soul searching & I don't have a valid reason other than a habit/didn't want 2 keep hurting people. I just want 2 get on with building a new relationship with my wife & stop wallowing in the past that cant be changed & put all that negative energy 2 positive new relationship.

DM, you've been shown plenty of compassion on this site. Perfect strangers have been willing to help you see the gaps in your thinking, and to try to help you save your marriage. We're not doing it for money, and we're not doing it for your thanks. You've gotten what you say you came for: sound advice.

Encapsulated,
if you want to stop hurting your wife, then you must change your 12-year habit of having a secret second life with the other woman.
If you want to stop hurting your wife, then you must show your wife that your loyalty is first, foremost & only to her.
If you want to stop wallowing in the past, then you must create a present & future in which your wife can feel safe that the other woman is out of your thoughts & out of your mind forever.

32 years ago, you promised to put BlindSighted first, "forsaking all others."
If you want compassion, it's waiting to be had, from the person who ought to matter most to you -- but you need to earn it through how you conduct yourself from this day forward.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
M
I don't know how 2 respectfully respond I came here 4 help I don't feel that I have any support I think I If I posted on Craigs list I would have gotten some support or stood outside the grocery store with a bill board that said Im a cheating spouse someone would come up 2 me & offered something of compassion instead I'm disappointed in this sight my wife & I valued so much so I guess again I'm on my own I don't see how 30 min on a computer qualifies any one 2 tell my life storey

DM, I am by no means a "vet", I am a FWS, my BH and I are only 6 months into our recovery, I can tell you at times I felt like i was being clubbed by 2x4's here, I can tell you that I was defensive and angry, there were questions I didn't like being asked and answers I didn't like giving, I needed to get over myself and you do to.

On this forum, you will be made accountable for your actions, you will be forced to think about them and the consequences there of. The people on the forum want to help you and your BS by creating a marriage that will be better than ever. It will not be easy, but what you and I and all WW's have done is the worst betrayal imaginable, so to expect this journey to be easy isn;t an option and at the end of the day nothing worth fighting for is right?

FWW, 36

T
T
yes I agree I can only use one hand lost some fingers on the other take me time 2 type anything I can use 2 save time sorry.

There are many people without key boarding skills that type with two fingers. They get by with just their two index fingers. And I have seen many go pretty fast just using those two fingers.

Your key boarding choices and excuses you use is the same bad mind set that you are using to make excuses for your affair and actions since D day.

Last edited by TheRoad; 10/27/13 08:00 AM.
S
S
yes I will fashion a letter,

Good. Please post your letter here for feedback.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
L
L
Originally Posted by SusieQ
yes I will fashion a letter,

Good. Please post your letter here for feedback.

That is an excellent suggestion for you DM.

Let's see what You come up with PRIOR to it being sent.

This should be done without hesitation.

The longer you sit on inaction, the less sincere your thinking is.

Remember, ACTIONS, Not Words. Talk is cheap.

LTL

M
M
DM, I would suggest sending the email to the same people your wife informed and doing it today so she can be assured you do not warn skanky again. I would word it something like this:

Dear Family member of Skanky,

You received a letter on October 25th from my wife, Blindsided2013. I am sorry to admit that her email was true. I have been having an affair with Skanky for 12 years and have been in contact with her as recently as this week. I called her to warn her that my wife discovered our affair and would be exposing it to her family.

I want to publicly apologize to my wife for this cruel indulgence and promise to never have any future contact with Skanky. I love my wife and will do everything to make it up to her.

Thank you, WilyGuy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G

Why'd you do it? Why'd you make that call?
your absolutely right with the rest of u r letter there was so much I learned from mb since we started I honestly was so stupid we both agree we both were stupid we were affairs looking 4 place 2 happen. as far as why I did it honestly I never intended 2 hurt anyone with my behavior I honestly still don't want 2 hurt anyone. Especially my wife, I had no idea affairs could be so devastating.back 2 that question I tried soul searching & I don't have a valid reason other than a habit/didn't want 2 keep hurting people. I just want 2 get on with building a new relationship with my wife & stop wallowing in the past that cant be changed & put all that negative energy 2 positive new relationship.

DM, I'll save you from typing for a bit. (I know it's hard, I have a tendonitis issue in my throwing arm, and when it flares up, typing's a [censored], and I can't imagine doing it with a couple of short or missing digits on my hand.)

Take some time to read what I'm about to tell you. Read it two or three times if you need to. (By the way, I'm not yellin' at ya here. Think of it as me whispering to you, over a cup of coffee, or even a shot of bourbon if necessary. )

Listen up:

In your half-answer there yesterday, you circled around closer to the core truth, but you didn't quite get right to the center of it. Let me break it down for you a little more, to see if it helps clarify things for you:

You said you didn't want to keep hurting people.

Let's be honest, with no purpose of evasion, OK? By saying you didn't want to keep hurting "other people," you meant that you didn't want to stir up pain for the other woman.

Unless & until you can admit this to yourself & to your wife, then things'll never get fixed. You'll never get fixed. I repeat what I told you yesterday: NOTHING on earth scares your wife more than the realization that you still care for the other woman.

By this, I mean "care" in terms of being concerned about her feelings, and "care" in terms of taking actions to demonstrate that concern. You like caring for the other woman. You want her to notice that you still care for her. You want to be held in her esteem, because of what that esteem does for your ego.

And that needs to stop if you are to have any prayer of being the husband you once promised to be & reawakening in your wife any desire to be for you the wife she once promised to be.

That's why people aren't letting you off the hook by accepting that you were "dumb." No, it was worse than that. You were worse than dumb. You were what all unfaithful spouses are -- exactly what I was: You were selfish. We wanted that ego shot. We were willing to completely disconsider our spouses' feelings in order to get it. Not dumb (because, after all, you knew exactly what you were doing & why), but selfish (because you went & did it anyway).

Now, on this site, I sometimes refer to my affair "the stupidest thing I ever did." But when I say that, it's shorthand. To be precise, it was the most inconsiderate, self-centered, selfish thing I ever did.

The way you quit caring for the other woman is, you stop being in touch with her. You stop thinking about her. If you find yourself thinking about her & how nice she was to you, you need to flip that around and remember, every time, that the other woman was perfectly willing to coldcock your wife from a blind alley, cut up her face, steal her purse & leave her bleeding on the pavement in order to get what she wanted from you. Simply put, your other woman was a thug in how she treated your wife. A 100%, total thug, equivalent to any ruthless gangster whom you might find in solitary confinement serving two life sentences. That's the mental image you need to see each & every time you think of the other woman. And it shouldn't be very hard for you to conjure that image up, because it's not making the other woman out to be worse than she was; rather, it's simply being willing to see the other side of the other woman's reality that you have been willfully choosing to ignore whenever you've chosen to view her only in a positive light. It's like that chick on the old anti-smoking commercials who had a nice voice & nice hair & who looked really hot from behind -- and then she turned around & you could see that her face was half-eaten-away by smoking-related cancer. Morally-speaking, your other woman is every bit as disfigured as that. (So were you, morally-speaking; but you can still fix yourself, or choose not to fix yourself...)

Fixing yourself & fixing your marriage is a big job. A huge job. It can be done, but not if you waste time on distractions. So how & why would you ever want to waste another moment of your scarce time caring for that morally bankrupt other woman? It isn't any of your damned business to care for her, and it never was your business. Your business now is to care for your wife. If that means more exposure, and if that exposure leads to aggravation for the other woman, that's her tough crap -- it's the consequences of her own choices. It's none of your business, and never was.

That's all for you to ponder, DM, for your benefit. Please take it in that spirit.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
D
DumbMan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Want 2 thank every one 4 helping me last nite,Yes this is very difficult. I felt ganged up on last nite & ATTACKED.I expressed this 2 my wife this morning & that I was a little angry with the support/responses I received, she suggested we re read the responses 2 see why I felt attacked.

She was rite I wasn't attacked in a bad way,the responses were in a positive way & I agree my responses sound like a wayward spouse ignoring the issues @ hand, this lead us 2 a radical honesty discussion & I did confess everything that I possibly could yes I was gas lighting yes I wasn't totally honest so now I went over the affair leaving nothing out & answered any & all questions my wife could think of.And it really does felt so much better being radically honest.

I admitted to my wife that my physical affair had not stopped & was active till d-day (including d-day) & that it wasn't just emotional at the end as I previously described. Yes her children did know that I was married, I imagine she probably made some excuses to her children about being exposed.I have not read all of the posts yet my wife made us lunch I will be back later.

Thanks to all 4 caring.

L
L
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
DM, I would suggest sending the email to the same people your wife informed and doing it today so she can be assured you do not warn skanky again. I would word it something like this:

Dear Family member of Skanky,

You received a letter on October 25th from my wife, Blindsided2013. I am sorry to admit that her email was true. I have been having an affair with Skanky for 12 years and have been in contact with her as recently as this week. I called her to warn her that my wife discovered our affair and would be exposing it to her family.

I want to publicly apologize to my wife for this cruel indulgence and promise to never have any future contact with Skanky. I love my wife and will do everything to make it up to her.

Thank you, WilyGuy

Are YOU going to follow this compassionate suggestion that ML took the time to prepare a template for you to follow..... TODAY???

LTL

S
S
Want 2 thank every one 4 helping me last nite,Yes this is very difficult. I felt ganged up on last nite & ATTACKED.I expressed this 2 my wife this morning & that I was a little angry with the support/responses I received, she suggested we re read the responses 2 see why I felt attacked.

She was rite I wasn't attacked in a bad way,the responses were in a positive way & I agree my responses sound like a wayward spouse ignoring the issues @ hand, this lead us 2 a radical honesty discussion & I did confess everything that I possibly could yes I was gas lighting yes I wasn't totally honest so now I went over the affair leaving nothing out & answered any & all questions my wife could think of.And it really does felt so much better being radically honest.

I admitted to my wife that my physical affair had not stopped & was active till d-day (including d-day) & that it wasn't just emotional at the end as I previously described. Yes her children did know that I was married, I imagine she probably made some excuses to her children about being exposed.I have not read all of the posts yet my wife made us lunch I will be back later.

Thanks to all 4 caring.
I care desperately about her, and that's why I will post to try and help you.

It's interesting that you put ATTACKED in capital letters and focused on that in the first sentence in your post. I sense that you still really want to lay into us for "attacking" you despite claiming to see that we did no such thing - we called you on your bull crap - otherwise why mention it at all?

Is this all about you, or about your wife?

If you feel attacked by some posts on a forum, imagine how your wife feels about your 12-year affair.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
DumbMan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
very well said,
thank u.
DM

M
M
very well said,
thank u.
DM

You are big boy and can handle being "attacked." My concern is your wife. She is the victim here, not you.

Now, what did you think about my suggestion to send skanky's family an email telling them your wife was telling the truth?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
DumbMan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by SugarCane
It's interesting that you put ATTACKED in capital letters and focused on that in the first sentence in your post. I sense that you still really want to lay into us for "attacking" you despite claiming to see that we did no such thing - we called you on your bull crap - otherwise why mention it at all?

Is this all about you, or about your wife?

If you feel attacked by some posts on a forum, imagine how your wife feels about your 12-year affair.
No I really don't want 2 lay into anyone. I sincerely want 2 be honest & thank every one. Yes I guess I did feel attacked but I think I really needed it.This is about my wife (both of us) I want protect & provide for my wife & be the man I was when we first got married.

L
L
When will you write the letter and post it here to be reviewed to eliminate and catch any Foggy apologies to the OW?

The clock is still ticking.

LTL

D
DumbMan Offline OP
OP Offline
D
DM, I'll save you from typing for a bit. (I know it's hard, I have a tendonitis issue in my throwing arm, and when it flares up, typing's a [censored], and I can't imagine doing it with a couple of short or missing digits on my hand.)

Take some time to read what I'm about to tell you. Read it two or three times if you need to. (By the way, I'm not yellin' at ya here. Think of it as me whispering to you, over a cup of coffee, or even a shot of bourbon if necessary. )

Listen up:

In your half-answer there yesterday, you circled around closer to the core truth, but you didn't quite get right to the center of it. Let me break it down for you a little more, to see if it helps clarify things for you:

You said you didn't want to keep hurting people.

Let's be honest, with no purpose of evasion, OK? By saying you didn't want to keep hurting "other people," you meant that you didn't want to stir up pain for the other woman.

Unless & until you can admit this to yourself & to your wife, then things'll never get fixed. You'll never get fixed. I repeat what I told you yesterday: NOTHING on earth scares your wife more than the realization that you still care for the other woman.

By this, I mean "care" in terms of being concerned about her feelings, and "care" in terms of taking actions to demonstrate that concern. You like caring for the other woman. You want her to notice that you still care for her. You want to be held in her esteem, because of what that esteem does for your ego.

And that needs to stop if you are to have any prayer of being the husband you once promised to be & reawakening in your wife any desire to be for you the wife she once promised to be.

That's why people aren't letting you off the hook by accepting that you were "dumb." No, it was worse than that. You were worse than dumb. You were what all unfaithful spouses are -- exactly what I was: You were selfish. We wanted that ego shot. We were willing to completely disconsider our spouses' feelings in order to get it. Not dumb (because, after all, you knew exactly what you were doing & why), but selfish (because you went & did it anyway).

Now, on this site, I sometimes refer to my affair "the stupidest thing I ever did." But when I say that, it's shorthand. To be precise, it was the most inconsiderate, self-centered, selfish thing I ever did.

The way you quit caring for the other woman is, you stop being in touch with her. You stop thinking about her. If you find yourself thinking about her & how nice she was to you, you need to flip that around and remember, every time, that the other woman was perfectly willing to coldcock your wife from a blind alley, cut up her face, steal her purse & leave her bleeding on the pavement in order to get what she wanted from you. Simply put, your other woman was a thug in how she treated your wife. A 100%, total thug, equivalent to any ruthless gangster whom you might find in solitary confinement serving two life sentences. That's the mental image you need to see each & every time you think of the other woman. And it shouldn't be very hard for you to conjure that image up, because it's not making the other woman out to be worse than she was; rather, it's simply being willing to see the other side of the other woman's reality that you have been willfully choosing to ignore whenever you've chosen to view her only in a positive light. It's like that chick on the old anti-smoking commercials who had a nice voice & nice hair & who looked really hot from behind -- and then she turned around & you could see that her face was half-eaten-away by smoking-related cancer. Morally-speaking, your other woman is every bit as disfigured as that. (So were you, morally-speaking; but you can still fix yourself, or choose not to fix yourself...)

Fixing yourself & fixing your marriage is a big job. A huge job. It can be done, but not if you waste time on distractions. So how & why would you ever want to waste another moment of your scarce time caring for that morally bankrupt other woman? It isn't any of your damned business to care for her, and it never was your business. Your business now is to care for your wife. If that means more exposure, and if that exposure leads to aggravation for the other woman, that's her tough crap -- it's the consequences of her own choices. It's none of your business, and never was.

That's all for you to ponder, DM, for your benefit. Please take it in that spirit.
[/color]
Yes U defiantly make some valid points,yes I really was totally selfish, inconsiderate, self centered thing Ive done also, & I really do want 2 go on with the healing process.

L
L
Have you written that 5 minute or less letter yet?

Also, will you verify that the use of your friends cell phone was only a short voice mail message by bringing your W to view your friends cell phone log?

It's still time for ACTION, not words.

The clock is ticking still.

LTL

D
D
This guy isn't serious he's just trying to avoid divorce for reasons other than marriage. Classic case of giving the BS what they want to appease him/her and afterwards maintain the status quo, cake eating

Z
Z
please drop the idea that you and your BW have been so unhappy for years and were just ripe for an affair. if she was unhappy, it was because you WERE (and are?) having an affair for over a decade! and if you were unhappy with her during that same period it's because you WERE (and are?) having an affair for over a decade.

your bw is a better woman than i. if you were my WH you'd be sitting on the curb right now with a couple of suitcases.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation