Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2766704 11/19/13 06:48 AM
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Statement Analysis is carefully using words to detect deception. It's used by law enforcement, and others. I'm surprised at how much more effectively I can understand the underlying meaning of what is said after studying it! Here's a sample: "We're Just Friends"

Originally Posted by Statement Analysis Blog
But, Dad, we're just friends!"

Principle: 'extra' words give us additional information. Your daughter (not mine) could have said, "Dad, we're friends!", and the sentence would have been complete. Therefore, the word "just" is significant.

The word "just" will creep into the subject's language in less than a micro second. It is highly significant.

It is used to compare one thing with at least one other thing.

For example, I want to sell you a car for $15,000 but I know you are thinking it is too much money. Therefore, I roll out a few $25,000 cars first, which look very similar, and then...

I roll out the 15K car and say, "Ah, yes, I know $25,000 is way out of your price range, but this one...yes, this one is just $15,000."

The word "just" is used to compare.

Parents, listen carefully to the language your kids use, following the pronouns, and grabbing those "extra" words, which are so very important.

If you catch your spouse using these words, it may be that he or she is "just" friends, but first ask yourself:

"Who brought in the comparison?"

If you, the suspicious spouse did, the word "just" is an appropriate response. But if you ask, "Who did you have lunch with?" and you get, "I went to lunch with Bob; we're just friends" you now know that the subject, has compared the level of friendship she has with Bob with another level.

Proceed with caution.
Feel free to google the phrase, and you'll find a couple of blogs and websites on Statement Analysis.

Have fun!

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Here's a denial by Rob Ford. Warning: coarse language!

Originally Posted by Statement Analysis Blog
The following is Statement Analysis of Rob Ford's denial about oral sex. Please be aware of coarse language.

A reliable denial is simple, and it has three components. If there are four, it is unreliable, just as if there are two.

1. The pronoun "I"

2. The past tense verb "didn't" or "did not"

3. The specific allegation answered

Therefore, the word "never" is not reliable, and it is only appropriately heard when either joined to a reliable denial (following it) or it is an answer to a question that begins with "ever" within it.

Also, note the sensitivity when someone feels the need to explain "why" they did (or did not) do something. It signals that the person anticipated being asked.

At a press conference this morning, Mayor Rob Ford addressed the accusation that he tried to perform on a female staffer, one of several complaints filed against Ford in court documents released on Wednesday.

�Oh, and the last thing was Olivia Gondek, it says it says that I wanted to eat her ******

�I�ve never said that in my life to her. I would never do that. I�m happily married. I�ve got more than enough to eat at home. Thank you very much."

Here is the same statement, with analysis.

�Oh, and the last thing was Olivia Gondek, it says it says that I wanted to eat her ******

�I�ve never said that in my life to her. I would never do that. I�m happily married. I�ve got more than enough to eat at home. Thank you very much."

The simplest thing to say would have been "I did not do that, nor did I say that, or anything else sexual to her. I did not want to perform oral sex, and I did not say anything to her about sex."

Instead:

Note the embedded words, "I wanted to eat her *****" is a quote of what "it says." Might someone else use different words to paraphrase? We are always listening for possible embedded questions. Does the report actually use these words? If not, it is likely an embedded confession.

We seek to learn if one enters into the language of another, or chooses words of his own volition (the free editing process). Does he deny this?

�I�ve never said that in my life to her.

1. Note that "never" is not to be substituted for "didn't" or "did not." It is a term that liars feel more at ease with, since it spans so much time. Lance Armstrong "never" used PEDS, nor did Marion Jones. Joey Buttafouco "never, ever ever" had sex with Amy Fischer.

2. Note the additional words "in my life" are words used to attempt to persuade the listener. The need to persuade makes a denial weak.

"I would never do that. I�m happily married. I�ve got more than enough to eat at home. Thank you very much."

Please note that "would never" is future/conditional and avoids the past tense connection that a reliable denial has.

Note the need to explain why: "I'm happily married" (which is certainly in doubt now) shows the need to persuade or give reason to not do or say something.

He then goes on to use an analogy which is crude, increasing the likelihood that the words above are, in fact, an embedded confession.

The conclusion:

If he is unable to tell us that he did not do it, we are not permitted to say it for him.
I sometimes use statement analysis when I read posters' stories. I've been able to pick up on things such as abusive behavior or deception by reading their 'free edited' statements. Then it comes out later. It's sort of uncanny.

Elizabeth Bowen

S
S
Sigh. Makes me miss SchoolBus. She is a master at language analysis.

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman

Never heard of her! I'll go look up some of her posts smile

Elizabeth Bowen

N
N
Originally Posted by Zhamila

Hmmm, tells me you actually HAVE heard of her!

"Never say never again" LOL

Me: 46
Wife: 46
Daughter 9
Son 8
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by NeeraZycantel
Originally Posted by Zhamila

Hmmm, tells me you actually HAVE heard of her!

"Never say never again" LOL

LOLZ!

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Words I watch for, as they indicate sensitivity on the part of the poster:

Try - "I've tried to stop losing my temper" - this means the poster has not stopped losing his/her temper. The word 'try' has the connotation of something begun, but failed. "I will try..." means the poster has little intention of doing what is advised. The poster is 'giving up' before they even get started.

Really - "I really want to save my marriage" - this means the thought of saving the marriage is sensitive to the poster. The poster probably does not want to save the marriage, but may not have admitted this to themselves. Gets worse the more 'reallys' they use.

Never - "I would never do anything to hurt my spouse" - means the poster has definitely done something seriously hurtful to their spouse.

Anything - "I would do anything to save my marriage" - means the poster doesn't want to do anything. Specific actions stated, such as, "In the future I will use the POJA." is very different from saying, "I will do anything necessary." 'Anything' is a catch-all for sensitive information, likely the poster is internally struggling to avoid specific information or action.

Can you spot the deception? Sometimes it's even self-deception, or just a sensitivity to the topic at hand:
"I have never really cheated on my spouse."
"I will continue reading and trying to implement the MB concepts in my marriage."
"My H hasn't done anything to hurt me. I'm just a ninny for feeling hurt."

...and the piece de resistance...

"I would never really try anything." (HAHA - would you trust this person? I wouldn't!)

Elizabeth Bowen

L
L

I think those are some clues but can't be taken alone. There are times when "really" and "never" are indicative of an honest statement. It's the inconsistency that sometimes can't be heard until there is more discussion that relays dishonesty, and specifically with marriage, a lack of behavioral change indicates dishonesty. One frustrating thing about it is that you may be able to eventually detect dishonesty but it's still hard to know what the truth is when someone is trying to hide it.

xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
I think those are some clues but can't be taken alone. There are times when "really" and "never" are indicative of an honest statement. It's the inconsistency that sometimes can't be heard until there is more discussion that relays dishonesty, and specifically with marriage, a lack of behavioral change indicates dishonesty. One frustrating thing about it is that you may be able to eventually detect dishonesty but it's still hard to know what the truth is when someone is trying to hide it.

I agree, context is important.

Do you have specific examples, LL? Would love to grab some statements and do some analysis.

Elizabeth Bowen

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation