Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2770881 12/13/13 11:38 PM
L
OP Offline
L
a) When was the moment of truth for you? At what point did you know for sure that your spouse had an A ?( EA and/ or PA)

b) How did you react when you "knew?"

F
F
a) I knew he was having an A when I felt decided to break in his phone since he had kept it so guarded for me within the last week. I saw the text messages that said, "I miss you" "I'm thinking of you" OW asked him, "Are you back with your wife? frown frown " We hadn't even ever broken up. I had left for a few days because he was verbally abusive and posturing as if he would hurt me. I didn't know at this point if it was EA or a PA. I knew it was betrayal. How can you miss another woman? He also was making plans to go see her that day.

b) I physically felt sick to my stomach. I felt the hairs on my body rise and my heart beat quicken. The blood was rushing and I calmly walked into the living room and asked him to focus on our family. I asked that he spend the entire day with our DD and I and help around the house. I sent him downstairs to do laundry, so that I could snoop some more. I was calm the rest of the day. I arranged for my MIL to watch our DD that night while I set up a "date night" with my WH. I had copied her number into my cell phone and proceeded to check our phone logs. It was clear they had only been "chatting" for about a week. I still didn't know who she was at this point. I checked his phone periodically throughout the day to gather more information. The text messages got flirtier and flirtier with heavy sexual undertones. My revelation came at about 5:00 that night when he left his Skype open with her demanding a phone call. It had her name listed at the top. I was crushed when I realized who it was. How could he have an affair on me with that woman? She has a reputation of sleeping around, messing around with married/partnered men, being an alcoholic and someone with no direction in life. I set up our "date night" and when I got home from dropping our DD off, I confronted him. His eyes got wide and he was sweating profusely. He denied everything, until I said, I've seen your text messages. You can't lie anymore. All he would say was he hadn't slept with her or anyone else and he wasn't saying anymore. I demanded he stop the relationship whatever it was and focus on his health and our family. He said she was not a factor. Boy, was I wrong. Now we're in process of Plan B.

Me: 32, BW, 22 weeks pregnant
Him: 32, WH recently diagnosed with Bipolar
Together 11 years
Married 6 years
DD: 3 years old
D-Day: 11/8/2013
NC Letter: 12/2/2013 failed
Plan B: 12/9/13-current

C
C
I knew about 2 weeks into (her 2nd affair). I had created a fake email account to try and catch her by trying to flirt with her since I had no definitive proof. It didn't work. I had to wait about 9 1/2 more months to get enough proof (they were pretty sneaky and I didn't have a lot of free time at my job (in my mind anyway) where i could really snoop). I finally caught them in a lie. Felt like I was shot in the stomach

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
I
I
A) I'd received some advice on here that my marital problems were due to an A. The posters here even identified the OW - my recently widowed best friend.

I was not even remotely convinced but just hearing this advice caused some scales to fall from my eyes. The next time she sympathetically asked "So how are you two doing?" I HEARD an eager tone in her voice which had been hidden before.

So I replied (truthfully) that we'd gone on an amazing (Plan A) date which had ended with us snogging like teenagers (that's kissing, non Brits). When she tried to respond fake-supportively, her voice sounded like a wounded thing. That's when I just knew 100 per cent.

B) Full on adrenaline, detective/reporter mode came into force. I snooped like a bloodhound without much sleeping or eating until I got the goods a few days later.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

E
E
I have to admit that I was pretty naive in the beginning. Kiss had been acting distant and cold and just not himself. I really didn't have a clue. I think something caught my eye on the internet. Something like "how to tell if your spouse is cheating" kind of thing. When I read it...my heart dropped. One of the tips was a lot of hidden phone activity. Kiss always had the phone on him and would put it under his pillow while he slept. So, I checked our cell phone records and sure enough there were hundreds of texts and middle of the night phone calls to one certain number. I remember the room spinning and I was in complete panic. I was at work and someone had just come in the door and TO THIS DAY, I can't see her without remembering that "moment of truth".

My mistake was confronting him and getting the "she's just a friend from work that I talk to". That put my focus on getting him to stop being too friendly (God, I was gutless!) and I printed out articles about Emotional affairs to show him that he was treading on dangerous ground (BTW, they had already had sex at this point). Naive, yes?

It wasn't until a month later (December 9, 2011 to be exact, a day before we were going away for a romantic weekend!) that I finally was able to see a text on his phone from him to her that said "I can't sleep at night. All I do is think about you" (Ingrained in my brain, right?). That is when I KNEW. The best thing I ever did was snooping to get the facts that I needed, otherwise I would have been in the dark and would not have been able to do everything I did to save our marriage.

I
I
If I'm honest my 'moment of truth' from her nonsensical note of heartbreak was pure relief - it wasn't my fault. I wasn't a horrible person to be married to. I was just being shamelessly played and I was no longer a target to be fooled.

This is why I can't understand reluctance to expose and give that relief to other spouses.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation