Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
amarut Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi All. I am 39 yr old male with a 9 yr old daughter from a prev relationship. My daughter lives with her mom & spends 2 weekends per month with me. Me and my girl friend plan to get married This year. One thing that bothers me is that my girl friend does not come around on the weekends that my kid is with me. I've discussed his with her and told her that I dont want my kid to feel unwelcome in my house once we married and that I want her to around when my kid is with me so that they can get to know each other. We been dating for 5yrs now. I feel that I cant marry her if she doesn't want to be around my child. Am I wrong or right?

B
B
Yes you are right. Why are you marrying a woman doesn't have some sort of relationship with your child...at all? That seems very odd to me.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
S
Originally Posted by amarut
Hi All. I am 39 yr old male with a 9 yr old daughter from a prev relationship. My daughter lives with her mom & spends 2 weekends per month with me. Me and my girl friend plan to get married This year. One thing that bothers me is that my girl friend does not come around on the weekends that my kid is with me. I've discussed his with her and told her that I dont want my kid to feel unwelcome in my house once we married and that I want her to around when my kid is with me so that they can get to know each other. We been dating for 5yrs now. I feel that I cant marry her if she doesn't want to be around my child. Am I wrong or right?
Welcome to MB.

What does your girlfriend say about this when you discuss it with her?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
A
ak1 Offline
A
Like the other posters said, there are two things to very closely pay attention to here:

1. Why does she not want to have a relationship with your daughter? That's a huge red flag, and it's obviously bothering you or you wouldn't be here.

2. When you confront her on this, what does she say? If she isn't seriously workable and honest, then that is another red flag.

Since you are thinking about marriage, I very highly recommend that you read Renters, Buyers, and Freeloaders by Willard Harley. It talks about how people have different views on relationships and marriage. You want to be absolutely certain this girl is a buyer or it will result in serious difficulty in the future.

Apologies if this sounds harsh, as we don't know each other, but this forum is filled with people that have survived affairs and some have stronger marriages than before, so around here we are pretty much only interested in what works, and tend to be pretty blunt about it. As someone new, we want you have have the best relationship and family life possible, so please take a look at that book, make sure she is a buyer. This issue with your daughter should be pretty revealing of her true heart.

ak

B
B
Have you read any of Dr. Harley's material on Blended Families?
Blended Families #1
Blended Families #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
L
If she loves you, she love your kid too.
Yes, you have good decision not to marry her.
She must to accept of what you have and she must to love it too.
Your daughter is more important than her. You still find better than her.
I'm just afraid if you marry her then she abuse your daughter if you are not around.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian T, 1 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation