Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
We are 5.5 years into rebuilding and our M is better than ever. It took me a LONG time to heal but I am finally in a great place thanks the MB, counseling, lots of working together and prayer. Every now and then I feel the urge to talk about my FWH's A. We talked a lot for months after the A and he told me EVERYTHING - every little detail that I asked. After a while we stopped talking about it because in MC we were advised that at some point we need to stop talking about it. I have a particularly hard time letting things go and I replay things over and over in my brain but I am proud of the fact that I have forgiven my DH and I love him more than ever.

I discuss everything with my DH and since his A, he confides in me like never before. We have been together for 21 years and pre-A my DH struggled with communication. Now he spends hours talking to me about his "feelings" about his past, our past, present and future which is wonderful.

The slight problem I am having now is every now and then I want to talk about the A. I don't have any further questions because he answered them all but I feel like eight months of our M are a big black hole that both of us don't go near. I don't want my DH to feel bad (any longer) because he has been WONDERFUL to me, our family and our M. He feels awful about his A and he still feels ashamed and hurt about what he did and I don't want him to feel bad.

Can we ever talk about it again? Is the subject a taboo for us?

M
M
Originally Posted by cobol_girl

It should never be brought up again. Bringing the unhappiness of the past into the present only makes the present unhappy.

If you want to really move into a new realm then consider moving into another house. You will be AMAZED at the difference in your marriage. When we moved out of the environment where all that unhappiness took place it made an amazing difference in our marriage. I never think about it anymore.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Have you moved?

Also have you heard these?
Dr. Harley on How to Deal with Triggers

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
E
CG, I am glad to hear that recovery is going so well for you!

I have to say that you are very fortunate to have a fWH that is so open, honest and communicative with you. That is a gift to appreciate for sure! I would love Kiss to be able to share with me smile

That said, I see no reason for you to discuss the A. It has no bearing on your present so I would just leave it in the past. Have you explored why you feel you want to talk about it?

L
L
I think that you know the answer to your own question already.

If you feel that your FWH has answered Every one of the questions you had, Dr. Harley would advise you to never bring up the affair again.

Would you like to reset the clock back and live in that 8 month long black hole again?

Certainly not.

What answers would you be seeking that you have not already received?

Hang in there. It's great to read of someone's ongoing recovery success story.

LTL

M
M
The slight problem I am having now is every now and then I want to talk about the A.

What triggers you?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

What triggers you?

His A happened while we were on assignment overseas. We moved from that house (thank God!). I even threw away all of the linens, towels and everything we had in that house when we moved back to the US. I hadn't thought about my triggers ML, but now that you mention it my triggers are that I have started watching movies that have been made in the country we were in. The country is very corrupt and the morals of the ppl and not good. I download movies and love watching them. Maybe that is it (IDK).

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know that I should never talk about it again and I am so grateful at the progress that we have made that I would never want to sabotage it. I think it is more about me than anything he is doing. He stopped traveling completely; we have more than enough UA together, our s*x life is wonderful and his life is an open book to me. I love him and our M and wouldn't want to hurt him or it in any way.

I am the kind of person who has a hard time letting things go. It's something I have to constantly work on.

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Have you listened to these clips from Dr. Harley on triggers?

Tell us what you think.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
[
I am the kind of person who has a hard time letting things go. It's something I have to constantly work on.

cobolgirl, I did this same thing and dragged out our recovery for years. crazy I only made us both miserable by doing so. Every time I brought it up, it made the pain feel fresh. But when I got into the habit of stopping myself, I honestly stopped thinking about it eventually. My recovery went much faster when I did that.

I would get in the habit of stopping yourself when you start thinking about it. Start replacing memories of the affair with pleasant memories. And whatever you do, don't talk about it!! You will find that you eventually never think about it.

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you know the poster marriedforever? She is a good friend of mine and I watched her struggle for YEARS in her recovery. She brought the affair up all the time. Finally, Dr Harley told her to never bring it up again. [they were in the MB program] I watched her attitude change dramatically over the next few months and it has been really great ever since. It is really interesting how not speaking about it makes it easier to forget the pain.

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
Have you listened to these clips from Dr. Harley on triggers?

Tell us what you think.

Yes, I listened to them like crazy for years and Dr. Harley and his counseling was a God sent. I just need to change that part of my personality. I do it with a lot of things. I am praying and fasting for it.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Melody. You have been really helpful to me. One of the MB counselors (can't remember the name) told me to wear a rubber band around my arm and snap it when I want to rehash the A. I did do it for a while but stopped. I can't imagine my M being any better than what it is today and I don't want to be the one who sabotages it.

A
A
Thank you for this timely thread and reminder. Today is the 6th year of D-day and I have spent the last couple of days in a funk, being slightly unhappy. H and I don't talk about the A, but there are infrequent times that I do think about it, ticked off that it even happened and nursing a hatred for the OW. Where is that Bob Newhart "Stop It" movie clip when I need it?

am

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
B
B
cobo_girl,

Were all your questions answered about the affair? Has he held to all his EPs?

I was reading back through some of your posts.

Does he still have overnight travel where you're apart overnight? Does he still allow other women to flirt with him?

Here is a recent clip where Dr. Harley talks about why you shouldn't keep talking about the affair and when you should. For example if you were to find out something new about the affair or that the WS lied about a detail then you should talk about it.

Radio Clip on When to Talk About the Affair

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
S
Are either of you still in IC?

Last edited by SusieQ; 04/17/14 05:17 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
C
OP Offline
C
cobo_girl,

Were all your questions answered about the affair? Has he held to all his EPs?

He asked all of my questions about the A and he has held up to all of his EPs.

I was reading back through some of your posts.

Does he still have overnight travel where you're apart overnight? Does he still allow other women to flirt with him?

He doesn't allow women to flirt with him any more. We left the church we attended because I felt uncomfortable with this one woman who I thought was too friendly with him even after we both told her that we were not comfortable with her always talking to him. He never travels. Only one trip in six years and he called me and we talked for hours on the phone the one night that he was away.

Here is a recent clip where Dr. Harley talks about why you shouldn't keep talking about the affair and when you should. For example if you were to find out something new about the affair or that the WS lied about a detail then you should talk about it.

Radio Clip on When to Talk About the Affair

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SusieQ
We are no longer in IC but I am seriously considering going back.

S
S

I read your other post regarding yours and your H's therapy discussing infidelity in your childhoods, how it relates to your M etc. I would strongly advise you to stay away from this and suspect that is what has kept your mind still stuck on the affair after such a long period of time, especially if you are doing all of the things MB prescribes (meeting needs, avoid LB, UA time, EPs).

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
We are 5.5 years into rebuilding and our M is better than ever. It took me a LONG time to heal but I am finally in a great place thanks the MB, counseling, lots of working together and prayer. Every now and then I feel the urge to talk about my FWH's A. We talked a lot for months after the A and he told me EVERYTHING - every little detail that I asked. After a while we stopped talking about it because in MC we were advised that at some point we need to stop talking about it. I have a particularly hard time letting things go and I replay things over and over in my brain but I am proud of the fact that I have forgiven my DH and I love him more than ever.

I discuss everything with my DH and since his A, he confides in me like never before. We have been together for 21 years and pre-A my DH struggled with communication. Now he spends hours talking to me about his "feelings" about his past, our past, present and future which is wonderful.

The slight problem I am having now is every now and then I want to talk about the A. I don't have any further questions because he answered them all but I feel like eight months of our M are a big black hole that both of us don't go near. I don't want my DH to feel bad (any longer) because he has been WONDERFUL to me, our family and our M. He feels awful about his A and he still feels ashamed and hurt about what he did and I don't want him to feel bad.

It's interesting to me that you said sometimes you want to talk about the affair - but you didn't say what, exactly, you want to say about the affair. The truth is there is really nothing to be said at this point. What would you want to say? What would you want to accomplish? There is nothing new for him to communicate to you, or for you to communicate to him.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

I read your other post regarding yours and your H's therapy discussing infidelity in your childhoods, how it relates to your M etc. I would strongly advise you to stay away from this and suspect that is what has kept your mind still stuck on the affair after such a long period of time, especially if you are doing all of the things MB prescribes (meeting needs, avoid LB, UA time, EPs).

Dr. Harley recommends against this kind of counseling - if you are doing this, I would strongly suggest you not go back to any such kind of counseling. It hinders recovery.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B
Please listen to these clips.
Beware of Bad Counselors

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 756 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation