Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2808037 06/20/14 02:12 PM
L
OP Offline
L
So my husband not only confessed to infidelity but he also admitted to drug abuse (which he had a past and I started to pick up that he started up again). My husband admitted that he slept with my best friend before we got married (he said it was the drug and the fact that "my friend" knew what he wasn't getting at home and manipulated him). He said he was only a few times. I honestly believe that after looking back. I have not talked to this so called best friend of mine since Feb, but it was for other reasons. As I stated I literally just found the infidelity thing out 2 nights ago. I have been going through all kinds of emotions and trying to figure things out. My husband and I do not speak to the other woman haven't for a long time and we are going to start counseling in a week (we planned to go to counseling before the infidelity came into play). I do not know how I am suppose to feel, think, or be right now and I just want to know? How do you deal with betrayal of not just one person, but 2 people who were suppose to be your "people"? Everything I have read on the website has been about mostly someone having an affair with a coworker, but how do you deal with a friend that you thought was your best friend? Do you speak to her and let her know how you feel regardless of whether we are friends anymore? I feel very lost in this situation and could use some guidance!

B
B
Welcome to MB and sorry for your pain.

How long have you been married? Any children?

Who all knows about the affair? Is OW married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Here is a story of one of our posters.

Husband's Affair with my Sister

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you for the sympathy.
I have been married for just over 7 months and no we do not have any children at this time. He has 3 boys from previous marriages/relationships.
I know, himself, and the OW. No the ow is not married. She went through a divorce about a year or so ago (she wanted what I had). She started in on drugs and drew my husband in with her (from what he said) and she knew that we were having difficulties in our relationship, especially when it came to intimacy and manipulated him. After their encounters she got back with her high school boyfriend who is sorry to say, but trash.

L
OP Offline
L
I also feel like it is eating away at me as far as who should now and not know. I want to tell my support system (mom, dad, sister) because we talk about everything. I don't know if this is something we should share with them or not, I just know that I really want to talk with them about it, I want us to talk to them about it. What would you say?

M
M
But you were not married when he slept wtih your friend, right? IF that is the case, this is not an affair and can't be treated as such. Sure, it was a deceitful betrayal, but this is not the same as an affair.

And yes, I would speak to your family so you can get the support you need.

Your husband sounds very uncaring and callous. Has he been this way in other ways? Did he have an affair in his previous marriage?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Has your husband had an affair in his previous marriages?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
Regardless of whether we were married or not we were engaged to be married and that should count for something. He has been uncaring in other ways but I do not know how much of it has to do with the drug use. As far as I know he didn't have an affair or cheat previously.

In speaking with my family; should we talk to them together? What do I do if my family is not supportive?

M
M
Originally Posted by lovesinfinity
Regardless of whether we were married or not we were engaged to be married and that should count for something. He has been uncaring in other ways but I do not know how much of it has to do with the drug use. As far as I know he didn't have an affair or cheat previously.

In speaking with my family; should we talk to them together? What do I do if my family is not supportive?

Sure it does count, but my point is that it is not infidelity. It was dishonest, underhanded and sleazy for sure.

I would tell your family alone. You cannot force them to support you. It would be nice if they did, though.

He has been uncaring in other ways but I do not know how much of it has to do with the drug use

How much of it was due to his personal choices? The drugs are not a valid excuse for poor behavior.

Exposure 101

H
H
The point Mel is trying to make is it is not adultery. It is still a betrayal, dishonest and painful and you we can offer support to help you heal.

Is he still in contact with the OW? The relationship could have continued into your marriage, particularly as you have been married a short time - then it is defined as adultery.

Agreed the drug use does not excuse his behaviour. If he is currently having an A his "uncaring" behaviour could be due to the A - this is typical of all waywards. The drug use is an important issue though.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
L
OP Offline
L
Mel.....I get what you are saying.

happyfuture.....No we do not speak to her. She was my friend before him and I and before we got married he begged me not to let her be on our wedding and stated that she is not a good person and he does not want her in our lives. Which now her life is nothing but a pot of you know what. She is throwing her life away from what I hear. But either way where she is doesn't matter to me because she is not and hasn't been part of our life since Feb.

B
B
Have you told your family?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
No, I am torn. I want to talk to them about it, but I certainly don't want the judgment. Things have actually been really good between me and my husband this week which is wonderful. We start counseling on Monday and we are both looking forward to that.

Why do you ask if I have told my family?

L
L
No, I am torn. I want to talk to them about it, but I certainly don't want the judgment. Things have actually been really good between me and my husband this week which is wonderful. We start counseling on Monday and we are both looking forward to that.

When you talk to your Family and friends about it, do it without him there, otherwise the topic becomes all sorts of excuses and crocodile tears.

Ask them for both support and assistance in keeping him accountable.

Had you discovered this information prior to exchanging Wedding Vows, you may not have followed through with getting married to him.

This deception allowed you to make a commitment to a very uncommitted and uncaring man.

I am concerned about the previous relationships and children.

You definitely should buy the book, Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders written by Dr. Harley and assess which category you each fit into as described.

He sounds like an affair waiting to happen, sorry to say.

There also is a brief article available on this site which someone else may be able to find and post the link to about that topic, which narrowly surmises that premise.

LTL

B
B

Only because you mentioned you needed some support.

Have you seen this?
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 782 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation