Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
M
M
hfd, your approach to problem solving is nothing akin to the POJA and will create incompatibility and resentment:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley in "Following the Policy of Joint Agreement When You're VERY Incompatible"
First, let me review how incompatibility is created. It begins when one spouse does something in his or her own best interest that's not in the other spouse's best interest. An example is having an affair. People have an affair because it meets their emotional needs and makes them feel good. The fact that the affair hurts their spouse does not deter them. An affair creates instant incompatibility because as long as it's tolerated, there's no way that a couple can live together in harmony.

All other acts of self-interest at the other's expense also creates incompatibility in various degrees. Incompatibility, therefore, is simply the accumulation of thoughtless habits and activities. The more of them a couple tries to tolerate, the more incompatible they are.

Most marriages start off with very few thoughtless habits because successful courting usually gets rid of them. Couples who are considering marriage go to great pains to behave thoughtfully because, if they don't, they won't get to the altar.

But after marriage, thoughtless behavior usually begins to grow. In the name of personal freedom, private interests and expanding horizons, spouses develop habits and activities that do not take each other's feelings into account. Before long, they are no longer compatible.

The bottom line is that couples need to eliminate behavior that is good for one and bad for the other, even if it makes the one eliminating it feel bad. Truth is, it should never have been there in the first place, and all you're doing is eliminating a bad habit. It's like telling a child molester to stop molesting children. It may make him feel bad to stop, but he should never have gotten started in the first place.

<snip unrelated>

As a couple identifies and eliminates thoughtless behavior, the withdrawal they experience will cause some unhappiness at first. But it doesn't leave a void -- couples are not left with nothing to do. They replace their thoughtless behavior with new thoughtful activities that give them a solid marriage, love for each other and much greater happiness than they ever could have had with all their thoughtless activities combined.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I feel frustrated because I can't brainstorm FOR someone or negotiate with myself.

I feel I say "I am not enthusiastic about...." and she hears "no you can't work where you may be happy..." Or "yes, you must remain at a job you hate..."

And then she never moves to the next step, which I believe is to brainstorm options and negotiate possible solutions?

I feel she hears "no" when I share I'd rather get not go to that location (assuming om is still there) and then its discussion over.

M
M
Originally Posted by helpfordad
I feel frustrated because I can't brainstorm FOR someone or negotiate with myself.

I feel I say "I am not enthusiastic about...." and she hears "no you can't work where you may be happy..." Or "yes, you must remain at a job you hate..."

And then she never moves to the next step, which I believe is to brainstorm options and negotiate possible solutions?

I feel she hears "no" when I share I'd rather get not go to that location (assuming om is still there) and then its discussion over.

Then throw out some options you ARE enthusiastic about. Just don't make the mistake of capitulating just because she is unhappy about having to consider your feelings. Just because she wants to engage in thoughtless, independent behavior doesn't mean you should go along with it.

It is in her best interest to keep negotiating until you find a solution you are BOTH happy about. Otherwise, the default decision is to do nothing.

And I didn't see the answer to this question: how is it that she even applied for a position without your mutual enthusiasm? When a spouse makes such unilateral decisions, here is how Dr. Harley recommends resolving it:

From Lovebusters, pg 170: [case study of wife Judy, who allowed her sister and BIL, Barbara and Jack, to move in with them when Jack lost his job. Judy's H, Bill, eventually moved out when the relatives would not leave]

How should the Policy of Joint Agreement be applied to a decision that has already been made unilaterally? The damage has already been done, so why not see it through to the bitter end? She wanted her sister and brother-in-law to stay until he could find a job, and from then on she would follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.

I explained to her that when the Policy of Joint Agreement has been violated, and a decision has been made without a joint agreement, a couple must correct the decision as soon as possible. In this case, it meant going back to her decision to invite Jack and Barbara to live with them and making that decision again, this time with the POJA in mind. Since she now knew that Bill would not agree to that arrangement, she had no choice but to ask her sister and BIL to find another place to live. As soon as Jack and Barbara moved out, Bill moved back in.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

The onus is on HER, though, because it is she who wants a new job. So it is in her best interest to find solutions that work for you too. Why should you feel frustrated?

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
I have helped her apply to close to 20, 30 positions in the last year (anticipating her degree) at 6 hospitals in our region (she is a hospital nurse), but we exclude the hospital she left where she met the om and the A began. (That limits her, because as luck would have it, they are hiring ALOT)

Of the other positions available, most are overnights. Of all the apps she submitted, she received 1 call - a one shift a week position. That's it.

She left her mist recent job in July to take this one, thinking it would be better than where shewas. That one was bad, this one worst.

So here comes this offer, excellent in every way....except location. Place it anywhere else, perfect job. We are both frustrated that the hospitals within earshot of us simply ate not hiring anything but 7p to 7a shifts right now.

If just something, anything would open up local, it'd be great....but for a 24 year nurse whose qualified for hospital nursing, it can be a challenge, especially if a job opens that fits your interests, experience, and education.

M
M
Well, you didn't answer my question. Why did she apply for the job there in the first place?

In the meantime, you can just keep looking! You can also look in other towns and states that you like. The demand for nurses across the nation is GREAT so there are lots of opportunities.

Keep in mind these 2 principles when applying for a job: a) it must complement the marriage and b) it must have mutual enthusiasm

Exposure 101

M
M
Location, Location: Where Are Nurses Needed Most?
Texas, Florida, California, and Colorado published the most job openings for nurses in the first quarter of 2013.

States that showed significant growth in nursing job postings from Q1 2012 to Q1 2013 include: Texas (up 62 percent), Colorado (up 46 percent), Ohio (up 78 percent), and California (up 24 percent). here

It seems that TEXAS has a very high demand for nurses and the unemployment rate is very low. The cost of living there is very low, too.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Mel,

Not avoiding your question...while in clinical during degree program, hfm was contacted that this was a may/might/could be position. I think when it opened, she didn't think there was a chance because of all the other in house applicants, so the idea was to use the interview for practice, get back in the game so to speak with interviews, so we didn't anticipate it would come to fruition.

And yes, we have some states in mind down south along our coast....but we have decided to remain where we ate until junior graduates and make the best of it until that time.

H
OP Offline
H
Oh, wanted to add:

I think hfm feels being in a lousy job NOW, unhappy and miserable on a daily basis in her current position does nothing to complement the marriage now.

That being content professionally affects the marriage positively.

J
J
we have decided to remain where we ate until junior graduates and make the best of it until that time.

Well, I wish you luck.
I don't think you will make it because of the proximity to OM and inevitable triggers she will experience but that is your choice.

H
OP Offline
H
JK,

I do appreciate your well wishes, and yes, look forward to the day we fulfill our choice to move.

Thank you.

S
S
Not avoiding your question...while in clinical during degree program, hfm was contacted that this was a may/might/could be position. I think when it opened, she didn't think there was a chance because of all the other in house applicants, so the idea was to use the interview for practice, get back in the game so to speak with interviews, so we didn't anticipate it would come to fruition.

Sorry but I don't like the sound of this. I almost get the sense your W manipulated you into getting your agreement that she apply for "practice" and then had this plan to talk you into it if she got it.

Anyway, I wouldn't go along with anything resembling this in the future (applying to hospitals near OM for practice).

The same way that you have taken moving off the table - just take the hospitals in OM's county, town, vicinity OFF THE TABLE. No sense in going round and round about why you wish it could be. Just eliminate it as an option - as it never should have been one in the first place.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
H
OP Offline
H
And Melody, what you posted before is the crux of the problem:

In POJA, if I have this correct, if EITHER party is not enthusiastic about a decision/action, then it doesn't get done.

This moves to brainstorming/negotiating.

If no solution is agreed upon enthusiastically by BOTH, then Dr. Harley states the outcome is to do nothing (becasue doing something -- IB, sacrifice, etc.) is actually more damaging than doing nothing. Correct?

I guess this is the point: that doing "nothing" (i.e. remaining at this crummy job) becasue we can't POJA a solution that we both agree to, is not acceptable for hfm.

Last edited by helpfordad; 09/13/14 03:45 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
Susie,

No, no manipulation. If that was a mistake, I own it.

I was on board for the interview...I though there was no shot she'd get this, and as she hadn't interviewed for a very long time (she was a long term employee at her previous position), figured it be good practice.

I have been O&H and shared that I would love it if she would just write off that county altogether.

Right now, that's where the jobs are locally, and she has not chosen to remove facilities in that county as employment opportunities.

S
S
Susie,

No, no manipulation. If that was a mistake, I own it.

I was on board for the interview...I though there was no shot she'd get this, and as she hadn't interviewed for a very long time (she was a long term employee at her previous position), figured it be good practice.

I have been O&H and shared that I would love it if she would just write off that county altogether.

Right now, that's where the jobs are locally, and she has not chosen to remove facilities in that county as employment opportunities.

What's done is done.

Tell her OM's county is OFF THE TABLE. End of discussion!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Not even for "interview" "practice" or any other reason. Just stay out of that county!!

Geez, hfd!! This shouldn't be the subject of so much discussion - and you both know BETTER than this!!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
H
OP Offline
H
I ended my part of the discussion with:

"I am not enthusiastic about you working in that county, in a workplace closer to the OM than where you work now. I would like to brainstorm solutions."

She does not seem to like my response, for I feel she reads it as "You are telling me where I can/cannot work, I am unhappy in my current job and want to leave it, I want to be happy professionally again and this new position is an offer I can't refuse."

As I stated earlier, my assumption right now is that she will accept the position, albeit with offering a list of EPs to me intended to make me feel 'safe and secure' about her working there.

H
OP Offline
H
Susie,

Im sorry I didn't address your note earlier about the Dr, Harley radio segment.

I took away from it:

1. Dr. Harley is adamant that we should move away
2. Joyce shared that if that's not an option on the table, then what?
3. Joyce then suggested immediate notification IF there is contact, and also that I think she said "that day" my W would need to leave that job
4. Dr. Harley seemed to say "well...okay". Not in tacit agreement, but I took it as, 'that's better than nothing' or, 'that could be a way to handle it'
5. He re-emphasized that we should move.

I felt they were a little confused with the latter part of the question. I wanted to know if it was possible for my W to ever return to the workplace where the A began? Or would it be too much of a trigger? There was thinking that since OM had been fired from there, the chances of him ever returning to THAT jobsite were slim, making it a 'safer' option for work.

HFM feels its just overall too much a trigger for her to return there for work.

Last edited by helpfordad; 09/13/14 04:05 PM.
A
A
I ended my part of the discussion with:

"I am not enthusiastic about you working in that county, in a workplace closer to the OM than where you work now. I would like to brainstorm solutions."

She does not seem to like my response, for I feel she reads it as "You are telling me where I can/cannot work, I am unhappy in my current job and want to leave it, I want to be happy professionally again and this new position is an offer I can't refuse."

As I stated earlier, my assumption right now is that she will accept the position, albeit with offering a list of EPs to me intended to make me feel 'safe and secure' about her working there.

The approach shows a lack of empathy for your feelings. If her approach continues, I don't think you will need to plan on moving in two yours. Your marriage won't last that long.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
H
OP Offline
H
AM,

This is sheer speculation on my part, but...

I feel she sometimes feels that she's been "punished enough" for her affair, and that she sees opportunities like this (she HAS poja'd herself out of other jobs) as a means to get her life 'back on track' after all the illness, repair, job loss, income loss, her mother's death, you name it in the 4 years since her affair ended.

Honestly, it feels like it's been one thing after another since this tragedy.

And I tell her that while I understand all that because Ive chosen to remain in the marriage and have experienced it with her, that doesn't supplant how I feel about this decision in front of us.

Thanks for checking in; your input is extremely valuable to me.

Edited to add: my fear is that she holds onto so much resentment and anger from/about the 'old' marriage, that I think she feels she didn't look out for herself enough, maybe, or felt she put me before her, previously, and that she tells herself 'I'm never doing THAT again', and thus will never feel the needed empathy for me, as it would "feel" like I am the priority of herself again, like before? (sorry, that's alot of armchair psychology..)

Last edited by helpfordad; 09/13/14 05:05 PM.
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation