Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 28 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 27 28
M
M
Originally Posted by helpfordad
The question is when, after all the 'insisting', one spouse believes the other is making an issue our of something that doesn't exist, and refuses or simply does not fundamentally believe in the EP, or abiding by the EP (ie 'you can't tell me where to work!')

Are you saying that she doesn't care or understand the danger of being close to the OM after all this time?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Can a betrayed spouse never believe the fws has truly learned horrible lessons from an affair and know that that person would never walk down that path again? Even after all of the mental, spiritual, financial, medical consequences? A fws wouldn't come to know 'I'm never doing THAT again"???

A FWS who is serious about "never doing that again" does not put herself into tempting situations.

I find it frustrating that we have to explain this logic to a BS who has been here for YEARS.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
We probably are 'behind' where we should be in recovery.

I'm not blaming...just saying the last 3 years hfm had been in grad school.

In retrospect this probably left us nibbling at the edges of MB, and not time for in depth immersion.

H
OP Offline
H
Mel,

If you ask hfm, I feel that she would say one affair taught her enough lessons for a lifetime, that she is remorseful and humiliated about her actions, that she would not allow conditions that could cause an affair to exist, and that she is resolute that OM is not a danger to her or or marriage, and that she is firm in her never, ever destroying her life again by having another affair....with this OM or any other.

I think that's what she would say to you.

M
M
A person who is serious about "never doing it again" does not take risks with their recovery. You and your wife seem to imagine that will power will protect you. It hasn't protected you in the past and it won't protect you in the future. A SERIOUS WS does not place herself in tempting situations.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 29 years of sobriety. I don't tempt myself by hanging out in bars because I take my sobriety seriously. Do I feel "punished" because I can't go into bars? Hell no. I felt punished when I was struggling with alcoholism.

Didn't your wife feel "punished" when she had to deal the consequences of her affair? Didn't you feel "punished" when she was having an affair? So why would you set yourself up for punishment? That is insane.

Exposure 101

S
S
Mel,

If you ask hfm, I feel that she would say one affair taught her enough lessons for a lifetime, that she is remorseful and humiliated about her actions, that she would not allow conditions that could cause an affair to exist, and that she is resolute that OM is not a danger to her or or marriage, and that she is firm in her never, ever destroying her life again by having another affair....with this OM or any other.

This is what my ex would say when I would be concerned about things he was doing...

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
M
M
Mel,

What is your response? I would like to see your line by line response to this.

Exposure 101

S
S

If this is your W's attitude, then I don't have much hope for your M.

Here's what Dr Harley said to a poster who wrote to him about her WH's going to co-ed AA meetings despite her objection:

(clipped)

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
I don't believe that the POJA is an option for marriage. I believe that it's essential for marriage. Those who do not follow that guideline face a lifetime of misery. That's because if spouses don't make their decisions with each other's feelings in mind, they end up trampling over each other's feelings, the way your husband has trampled over your feelings. If your husband feels that the POJA is something that can be violated occasionally, he'll have another affair, or do something else to ruin your life.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2418611

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
H
OP Offline
H
I feel that hfm does not believe it is 'taking a risk' with the marriage by taking this job.

And I feel she believes remaining stuck in a job she hates, and giving up a professional opportunity, is undue punishment for an act 4 Yeats ago that she is committed never to repeat.

Honestly, I'm speculating on her feelings, and only she can answer for herself.

H
OP Offline
H
My response is that I believe in and would like to follow MB program....that no matter how good we "feel" or "trust" in our marriage....due to the affair, our marriage will always and forever protections in place from that particular OM, and for threats to our marriage in general (possibility of either one of us having an affair).

That's my response.

H
OP Offline
H
I suppose that I need to examine what to do when you have a spouse engaged in independent behaviors.

H
OP Offline
H
Mel,

To your point...I feel hfm feels that there is or will not be any 'temptation' present by working there.

That the lessons learned from her affair left her without temptation for the OM or temptation for engaging in an affair ever again.

M
M
Mel,

To your point...I feel hfm feels that there is or will not be any 'temptation' present by working there.

That the lessons learned from her affair left her without temptation for the OM or temptation for engaging in an affair ever again.

I think we pretty much GET IT that she is oblivious to the risk.

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Is that uncaring or simply naivete on her (our) part I wonder.

L
L
Is that uncaring or simply naivete on her (our) part I wonder.

Probably ignorance or a lack of understanding of how affairs start up.

My H had an affair many years ago. Our marriage did not follow the MB recovery path; we didn't know about MB and we went to an MC who guided us along the usual path of "recovery."

After my H recovered from a deep depression over this and felt better, he said vehemently that he had learned his lesson and that the grass wasn't greener anywhere else. He didn't mention that his A deeply hurt me, and, for some unfathomable reason, neither did I. But he was adamant that he would never do that to me again.

Yet, we still allowed business travel and that's when my H had a second affair. There are certain situations that are very tempting and those are what we all need to steer clear of. Saying that we have learned our lesson only to place ourselves in yet another tempting situation is playing chicken with the marriage.

EPs must make the marriage safe from temptation or there is no real recovery.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
H
OP Offline
H
And when one does not feel the need for, or does not to establish or follow EPs, it is Independent Behavior.

I need to review SAA etc then, as to how one responds/ acts going forward in light of this and its effects on the marriage.

Last edited by helpfordad; 09/14/14 01:19 PM.
J
J
I want to learn this, I do.

So, an EP would be "not working in OMs county" from the get go.

An EP is not "once you take a job in the OMs county that I'm not enthusiastic about, here are things you can do to make me feel safer about it..."

Is this the MB approach?

Why do you keep mentioning the county line?
7 miles from OM home is too close.
That is why Harley recommends people MOVE out of state.
You refuse to do this and keep mentioning county lines.

J
J
Ok, to follow through...

If/when she accepts this job -- which we did not poja, is not up for poja -- she is not honoring an EP (not working in OMs county).

Even if SHE does not believe it does not need to be an EP, becasue SHE feels she/we are 'safe and secure and nothings going to happen'...or feels that the EP is dictating where she can or can't work, thus 'limiting' her professional happiness/growth...so long as it is an EP for ME...it's an EP. It just IS an EP, correct?

In this case, by breaking nthe EP, she is engaging in Independent Behavior, which may damage the marriage, according to Dr. Harley...may lead to sacrifice, resentment, etc...all bad things.

Your Extraordinary Precautions are not based on how you feel.
You had an affair in your marriage and don't know how to prevent or recover from an affair based on feelings.
That is why Dr. Harley wrote Surviving an Affair.
It is a program of recovery which must be followed, not a piecemeal program where you pick and chose what you like.

H
OP Offline
H
I am not enthusiastic about her working in the OMs county at all.

Whether that's 7, 17, or 70 miles away from his house.

I'd rather not have her work in that county; work in ours.

J
J
"You two"....

I can insist all I want: I am not enthusiastic about you working in OMs county and that's an EP for me.

I know the answer is to follow the program.

The question is when, after all the 'insisting', one spouse believes the other is making an issue our of something that doesn't exist, and refuses or simply does not fundamentally believe in the EP, or abiding by the EP (ie 'you can't tell me where to work!')

If a wayward spouse refuses to follow the recovery plan in Surviving an Affair then you will not have a loving, fulfilling marriage.
I would file for divorce if she is unwilling to follow the program; life is too short to live in misery.

Page 7 of 28 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation