Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 33 34
#2830245 11/25/14 09:55 PM
J
OP Offline
J
My H and I were on the MB Radio show today. I don't want to thread-jack my H's thread on the forum here, but I have a couple questions.

One of the problems I've had in my M in the past is that nothing I say has credibility or value to my husband. POJA doesn't happen because whenever we try to negotiate, my H dismisses my position, ignores a compromise, and re-emphasizes his own, and so we end up in a stalemate. In my H's thread, he made reference to a negotiation we had years ago regarding his son (my step) setting the dinner table and the consequences if he didn't. We negotiated for months, unsuccessfully, until finally I just starting setting the table myself to put an end to the discussion. Some time later, my H discussed the issue with our pastor, and the pastor agreed with my position. Suddenly, my H was all in agreement. (Another poster explained why he was wrong to take the pastor's opinion over mine.)

Well, now after talking with Dr. Harley, I feel like I'm in the same boat again. Except rather than it being a 6-month battle finally settled by our pastor, now it's a 20-year battle finally settled by Dr. Harley. I'm still in the same predicament, just with a different "third party."

On the program, one of the primary topics discussed was my H's lack of attention when I try to discuss a problem with him, or even pleasantries like when we would go out to dinner. He sees nothing wrong with lack of eye contact, picking up and reading a piece of mail, responding to a text, even studying the bottom of his shoe. I've expressed repeatedly that I find this behavior disrespectful and ask for his full attention, but he defends it saying there's nothing wrong with it and continues doing it, sometimes getting angry at me for complaining about it. He still held this same position even after reading Dr. Harley's books and claiming to be "all-in."

Today on the program, Dr. Harley discussed it with my H and personally explained that it was wrong. He gave my H the instruction to practice maintaining eye contact during any discussion with me and report to him via email everyday for a week. He described it as "changing a habit" and compared it to training oneself to put their socks in the hamper. But in my mind, there's a big difference between developing a habit for something you want to do, vs. developing a habit for something you disagree with fundamentally. I equate it to what Dr. Harley refers to as "serial cheaters." Regardless of going through the motions of M, eventually they will be unfaithful because they don't buy in to the idea of being monogamous.

So I have two questions/concerns:
1. What have I gained in the relationship if my H is doing this because Dr. Harley requested it rather than because it's important to me? I feel like if there are any love units deposited because he changes his behavior, it's for Dr. Harley, not for my H.
2. Is it reasonable to believe that my H has instantly changed his 20-year belief system just because Dr. Harley talked to him? Why wouldn't I believe that my H will eventually revert back to his core belief when Dr. Harley stops monitoring him (just like he has done with other counselors)?

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 11/25/14 10:08 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by JustDaytoDay
1. What have I gained in the relationship if my H is doing this because Dr. Harley requested it rather than because it's important to me? I feel like if there are any love units deposited because he changes his behavior, it's for Dr. Harley, not for my H.
2. Is it reasonable to believe that my H has instantly changed his 20-year belief system just because Dr. Harley talked to him? Why wouldn't I believe that my H will eventually revert back to his core belief when Dr. Harley stops monitoring him (just like he has done with other counselors)?

JDD, his behavior on dates is not a "belief system;" it is just bad date behavior. And bad habits surely can be changed with practice and commitment. It is just like a smoker quitting smoking. At first, it is very hard to quit, because smoking is such a deep, integral part of the smoker, but through practice and commitment, that all changes.

Whether or not your husband wants to change his behavior will be backed up by his actions. We will see if he follows through.

An important guiding principle in this program is "feelings follow actions." Once he breaks that bad habit, he will enjoy the fruits of his new behavior which will reinforce his changes.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Why wouldn't I believe that my H will eventually revert back to his core belief when Dr. Harley stops monitoring him (just like he has done with other counselors)?

He may do this. Just like a reformed smoker might start smoking again. There are no guarantees. That doesn't mean you don't try to break bad habits. If he reverts back to bad behavior, Dr Harley would tell you to separate from him.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I have to say that, listening to the program, I was surprised at how dense your husband seemed. He needs to back up his willingness to follow MB with real effort and change, and he is certain to make many more mistakes along the way.

If I were in your situation, I would seriously consider signing up for MB coaching. You are going to need backup and support.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Originally Posted by mrEureka
[

If I were in your situation, I would seriously consider signing up for MB coaching. You are going to need backup and support.

I agree. Signing up gets you access to Dr Harley and a coach for a YEAR. You can even extend that if necessary. You might need some Dr Harley "stick" to make this work!

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me add that we will be very happy to help reinforce that. I agree with mrEureka's assessment, and I am hopeful that if Remark will stay engaged here that we will be able to help him over time.

In particular, I would strongly encourage you to post your complaints about Remark here. We will try to help him understand your point of view.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Why wouldn't I believe that my H will eventually revert back to his core belief when Dr. Harley stops monitoring him (just like he has done with other counselors)?

If your husband does not adopt and retain the marriage building behaviors recommended here, for life, we would all support you in permanently separating from him.

By the way, you might benefit from reading my wife's thread "what to do with an angry husband." My wife eventually decided from what she read here that she was going to insist that if I had angry outbursts I would not live with her. I spent a few weeks in a Super 8 motel until we came to an agreement about me coming back - and let me tell you that that changed me in a hurry! We would encourage you to hold your husband to a very high standard.

If we can get your husband to faithfully follow this program, your feelings toward him will change. Right now, very understandably, you are extremely skeptical toward him. Rightfully so. As Dr. Harley said, you can't let your guard down and feel close to him, because given his track record at any moment he might suddenly let you have it. It's going to take a brand new track record on his part to change any of that.

Marriage Builders recommends measurable behaviors. By "measurable," I mean that you can look at him and see if he is following the behavior or not.

For example, Marriage Builders recommends that you give your husband a worksheet once a week listing instances when you felt he was disrespectful toward you. If he refuses to accept the worksheet, we would all recommend you separate from him. If he debates you about what is on the worksheet, we would all recommend you separate from him. His only course of action is to accept that information, get help from us or Dr. Harley or someone to understand it if he doesn't understand how he was disrespectful, and create and follow a plan to avoid those disrespectful behaviors in the future.

I heard on the show that you and your husband discussed my comments to him about getting professional help to stop saying "I'm trying." That phrase is disrespectful to you, and he needs to stop saying it. Dr. Harley described the process of habit formation, and your husband needs to get very familiar with it very quick so he can eliminate the habit of saying this phrase. So one thing we can measure is his willingness to let you and us hold him accountable for saying it. Let's lay that particular disrespectful behavior out in the open and hear from you or him each time he says it. Hopefully he will discover he can stop saying it really, really quickly. Then we can start tackling the next disrespectful behavior, and the next, and the next.

Another measurable behavior is the policy of joint agreement. If your husband accepts it when you are not enthusiastic about something he wants to do, then we can see that he is (at the moment) being sincere. But if he tries to debate you or browbeat you into reluctant agreement, you and we can see he is not following the program, and again, we would all support you in separating from him if he is not going to follow these principles.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
JDD, his behavior on dates is not a "belief system;" it is just bad date behavior. And bad habits surely can be changed with practice and commitment. It is just like a smoker quitting smoking. At first, it is very hard to quit, because smoking is such a deep, integral part of the smoker, but through practice and commitment, that all changes.
I don't think someone argues and defends the legitimacy of a bad habit, do they? I'm relating Dr. Harley's sock example, and imagining Joyce telling him that it really bothers her when he leaves his socks on the floor and could he please put them in the hamper. If, in response, Dr. Harley told Joyce that he liked throwing them on the floor, that he should be allowed to relax in his own bedroom, that she was just being a perfectionist and he didn't appreciate her criticizing him, and continued to throw his socks on the floor, would it still be just a bad habit? I can't help but think that it's more.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 11/26/14 06:51 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by mrEureka
[

I agree. Signing up gets you access to Dr Harley and a coach for a YEAR. You can even extend that if necessary. You might need some Dr Harley "stick" to make this work!
Dr. Harley said he would "talk about that later." I'm not sure when that is.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 11/26/14 07:10 PM.
M
M
I don't think someone argues and defends the legitimacy of a bad habit, do they? I'm relating Dr. Harley's sock example, and imagining Joyce telling him that it really bothers her when he leaves his socks on the floor and could he please put them in the hamper. If, in response, Dr. Harley told Joyce that he liked throwing them on the floor, that he should be allowed to relax in his own bedroom, that she was just being a perfectionist and he didn't appreciate her criticizing him, and continued to throw his socks on the floor, would it still be just a bad habit? I can't help but think that it's more.

What you described is how MOST people behave when they arrive here. For example, I told Dr Harley in 2007 that my husband got whipped up over "micky mouse" things. crazy I meant it with all my heart and soul!! And when he objected to my behavior I accused him of being "controlling!" I wanted Dr Harley to tell him to stop being so petty. So in many ways, your husband is much farther along than me. At least, he will act like he is going to go along.

And yes, most of us defended our right to our bad habits when we arrived. Some of us felt didn't feel they were they bad at all and some [like me] felt quite entitled!! I will post my post to Dr Harley from 2007 when my H and I had a fight over lettuce in the grocery store.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Melodylane in 2007
Hi Dr. Harley, we are struggling with the implementation of POJA. I knew this would be a problem for me because of my penchant for independent behavior. [I scored a 20 on your test and DH scored a 5] But he seems to continually engage in angry outbursts. Over micky mouse stuff, usually related to money, even though we make a good living and are financially comfortable.

Can you look at this dialogue, which happened in the grocery store today, and tell me how this should be done? This is the 2nd week in a row he has exploded in the grocery store. You had mentioned learning POJA skills in the grocery store and it is not going well!

Mel: does a salad sound good to you for dinner?
DH: that's fine
We approach the produce section and DH picks up a head of lettuce

Mel: I had planned on getting kale, romaine or spinach because there is no nutritional value in lettuce
DH: says nothing
MEL: grabs a bag of shredded romaine lettuce
DH: I REFUSE TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BAG OF LETTUCE!!! [it is $2.99 whereas the head of lettuce is $.89] PUT IT BACK!!
Mel, horrified and embarrassed at this outburst, tries to ignore him because she can't believe he is acting so disrespectfully over $2.99
DH follows her and says again: "MEL, PUT THAT BACK!! I REFUSE!!"

I take the salad dressing I am carrying, slam it into the cart and say "that's it, I am done" and leave the store. He follows me out to the car with "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, you can go back in and get the groceries. I will stay out here and leave you alone."

We had a similar scene the week before where he went into a rage over tortillas. I tossed 2 packages into the cart and then decided to add another. [we had company coming] He pitched a fit and demanded I put back the 3rd package.

Dr. Harley, just so you know, I am 50 years old, have a successful career, and am financially comfortable, and can damn well afford tortillas and romaine lettuce.

Every time he has one of these meltdowns over micky mouse stuff, I can hardly stand him for a week. What do you suggest?

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
MelodyLane: There are two separate issues that should be addressed in your marriage: angry outbursts and independent behavior. The more important of the two is the angry outbursts.

The trigger for your husband's angry outburst is your independent behavior. It's the reason for his angry outburst, but it's no excuse. Your husband should attend anger management training until he can control his anger under all circumstances, regardless of how frustrating they may be to him. My position on this issue is repeated throughout my books, articles and radio show. Anger solves no problems -- they create new ones.

Originally Posted by goldwinger, ML's husband
I realise that there is a problem on how we commicate and I will work on resolving that problem.

I am confused on the angry outburst comment though. At no time did I get angry and have an outburst. My idea of of an outburst is yelling and screaming but I guess that is not the case? Talking to ML though I do see where she thinks it was, so I apologise And will take the approipate actions to amke sure it does not happen again. Honestly looking back, it shouldnt of been that big of deal to me and should of let it pass.

However,It seems to me that whenever I disagree with ML, that her first commment is that I am trying to control her. Same could be said about POJA.....

Originally Posted by Dr.Harley
goldwinger59: If your wife's description of your interaction is correct, you had an angry outburst. It was not simply letting her know that you were not enthusiastic about buying the Romaine lettuce. Granted, she may have problems with independent behavior, but if you respond with an angry reaction, it will lead to either a fight or her withdrawal from you. So the first order of business should be to identify your angry reactions, and completely eliminate them from your conversation.

As for her independent behavior, it's an issue that you have probably been trying to iron out for some time. It's tough getting used to asking how a spouse feels about a decision before it's made, particularly when you think you have the right to make unilateral decisions. But your wife wants to get into the habit of using the POJA, and the more you practice it, the better you'll get at it. Just don't get angry with her when she fails the test.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Originally Posted by Melodylane
Hi Dr. Harley, I wanted to give you an update on how well your advice has worked. We are somewhat surprised at how different things are now compared to the past. The changes we have made in IB and AO have had a domino effect and are impacting other emotional needs in a positive way. In the past, my H would blow up about once a month, usually in response to my IB and then I would withdraw. I have to admit I was pretty bad, though.

He has not had an angry outburst since you told him that [I think he was SHOCKED to be told he was having an AO], mostly because he is now relaxed around me. He is relaxed around me because I am not "surprising" him with regular bouts of IB. We POJA most of our spending so he doesn't worry all the time, and he gets to rathole money every month. [he loves to save money]

This change has led to him meeting my need for admiration, affection and my willingness to meet his for RC because he is so much more pleasant to be around.

The key, indeed, was learning to POJA in the grocery store. Our visits to the grocery store today are pleasant and enjoyable. We know pretty much what we want and what is acceptable to the other so there is no longer fireworks. This has expanded to all other areas of our life.

Thanks, Mel

MelodyLane:

While there are no excuses for angry outbursts in marriage, there are reasons, and independent behavior usually tops the list. I'm happy to hear that you're making it easier for your husband to overcome his AOs by avoiding IB. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Exposure 101

M
M
[I don't think someone argues and defends the legitimacy of a bad habit, do they? I

What?? What?? You want me to stop?? You are trying to control me!!! dramaqueen

Girlfriend, your husband is a BOY SCOUT. We have seen 10x worse change their bad habits.

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
Marcos, my husband already spent a couple months in an unfurnished apartment a few years back, while he was attending one-on-one counseling twice a week. The break from him 24/7 gave me a second wind, plus I was trying to keep things stable for our son, so I agreed to him moving back in. Obviously things didn't change. My only point is I don't think that would have much effect on him again, especially if we did a legal separation first. I think then we'd both just throw in the towel permanently.

I just wanted to clarify one thing from the radio broadcast. My H definitely has a problem with impulse control, and I do not. His initial response of "no" saddens me greatly, because he was diagnosed with a lack of healthy boundaries almost 15 years ago, and it has been brought up and discussed frequently as an ongoing problem. For him to still be denying it after all this time is pretty disheartening for me. The second part of his answer where he "shared" the impulse problem with me just makes me shake my head. I don't have a problem planning my vacation ahead, I have a hard time planning one that includes him, but usually manage to do something just for the sake of our son.

I'm wondering if you can help me get a handle on how this is supposed to work from here. My H has an assignment to give me eye contact whenever I want his attention. That would be great under different circumstances, but at this point, I don't want his attention while he still has all his other "bad habits." It's difficult to value him looking me in the eye while he's flipping me off, for example. Dr. Harley said something like this would take 90 days (or maybe it was 60) to accomplish making it a habit. Does that still hold true if he really doesn't have any opportunity to practice it with me? I'm really not interested in being his test dummy. And do we wait until he has this one down before we go on to the next? At that rate, we'll be well past the 4-year mark before he even touches on the stack of issues.

M
M

We see that pretty commonly - when we can talk someone into intentionally changing their habits, the problems can be solved.

I'm a little concerned we did not hear from Remark today.

J
OP Offline
J
I'm wondering if you can help me get a handle on how this is supposed to work from here. My H has an assignment to give me eye contact whenever I want his attention. That would be great under different circumstances, but at this point, I don't want his attention while he still has all his other "bad habits." It's difficult to value him looking me in the eye while he's flipping me off, for example. Dr. Harley said something like this would take 90 days (or maybe it was 60) to accomplish making it a habit. Does that still hold true if he really doesn't have any opportunity to practice it with me? I'm really not interested in being his test dummy. And do we wait until he has this one down before we go on to the next? At that rate, we'll be well past the 4-year mark before he even touches on the stack of issues.
Thanks for everyone's responses. Mel, I give you and your H kudos for getting through your issues! I could certainly see that spiraling out of control.

I'm still looking for an answer to this post, if anyone has any thoughts.

Last edited by JustDaytoDay; 11/28/14 04:32 PM.
M
M
[Thanks for everyone's responses. Mel, I give you and your H kudos for getting through your issues! I could certainly see that spiraling out of control.

I'm still looking for an answer to this post, if anyone has any thoughts.

He will be working on ALL of his love busters at once, not just one at a time.

Exposure 101

J
OP Offline
J
I know it hasn't even been a week, but I feel like I'm hanging out there rather precariously. I like plans and I seem to be missing it if there is one. You indicated that my H is supposed to be working on ALL of his LB's, but does HE know that? I know he's aware that he's supposed to be making eye contact and sending a daily email to Dr. Harley, but the seven things on his "list" certainly don't encompass everything. And because of the state of our relationship, some of it is difficult to measure. For example, eye contact becomes pretty irrelevant when I purposely don't look at him (too painful dealing with all his other LB's.) And does it matter that he hasn't sent an email to Dr. Harley since Wednesday? I'm sure his excuse is that he was visiting family out of town, but does that violate #3 on this list (stop making excuses)?

After years of dysfunction, I've developed a fair number of coping mechanisms that I'm not prepared to just throw out because now he's doing "the plan," especially since he's claimed that for some time. For example, we don't POJA successfully, so with his family, I just agree with whatever he wants because I know it's pointless to disagree or share a differing opinion, and then I just make the best out of it. So he would probably say the weekend was great because he got what he wanted and I wasn't complaining, but it certainly doesn't reflect POJA. We also had an altercation on the way home in which he almost let my dog get hit by a car, but the brief discussion we had about it looked very much like our typical discussions. I'm not expecting him to change overnight, but should I? How do YOU determine whether he's making progress or doing what he's supposed to?

W
W
Here is just my 2 cents....perhaps just concentrate on the things that irritate you the most, and forego the others for the time being. For instance, if he can learn to give you eye contact and really listen during normal conversation, wouldn't that be a big improvement? Trying to make him change so many things at once may be too overwhelming. Try to relax on the other less important irritants. He may get better within a month, but may backslide from time to time. You'll need to see a big effort on his part. It's the only way you'll know if this can work.

M
M
And does it matter that he hasn't sent an email to Dr. Harley since Wednesday?

It sure does. I'm not seeing any effort on his part, and I would take a look at Dr. Harley's article "when to call it quits."

P
P

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mature, 1 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation