Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
ok. i think i am seeing that this site is very different then other "how to survive an affair" web sites.

a specific set of steps to follow....a plan.

requesting her to change her phone number and create a brand new email account, and delete all other ones is a reasonable request

installing spyware on her smart phone is reasonable. installing spyware to the computers in the house is reasonable. having access to her work email account is most likely illegal and would violate Federal HIPAA regulations as she works in the health field.

my children are 6 years old. the idea of telling them about their mothers infidelity is pretty off of my radar. what is that going to do other then wreck them. they are children. they are innocent.

im not sure i understand what good would come from me informing the wives of the OM of their husbands infidelity w my wife. had i thought about that earlier? yes...but it was revenge that was behind that thought...not closure.... it was more of "since my life has been ruined, i might as well ruin those men's lives as well by telling their wives".

i realize i am naive by the standards of this board....but i honestly don't understand what that is going to achieve.

the people and family in OUR closest circle all know the truth at this point.
her parents, her brothers, my sister, her closest friend, my closest friends, my closest cousins. how many people have to know about this? i already think too many people know our business now.

and, although i may be accused of being selfish for saying this... i don't really care about the other mens relationships w their wives. I'm trying to save my life and save my marriage. i truly don't give a &*^( about the other people. the OM's spouses aren't my problem.

of the men...two live within an 8 min drive of our home.
one of them had an affair w WS's (EX)best friend as well

pre disclosure, some of those "girls nights out" were legit, and her getting together w her friends.... I am a musicain so I have scheduled nights out for performance or rehearsal. I have always limited them to no more then once per week since our kids were born in 08. I don't believe that ever married couple has to spend all their leisure time together. i think its healthy that she has a night here and there to be w her friends ...... not NOW though..... her "nights out" are off the calendar at this point, and i have further reduced my evenings away from the house as much as possible.

i do feel like I'm doing just everything wrong according to the feedback from this site though.

I've read lots of the articles on this site, but i have not implemented the checklist or plan a or b (and I'm not even sure i understand those plans).

I'm going to go back to the check list and see how many more I can take off as my next step/s

-Naive Dude

P
P
my children are 6 years old. the idea of telling them about their mothers infidelity is pretty off of my radar. what is that going to do other then wreck them. they are children. they are innocent.
Your children are old enough that they need to go know what is going on in their lives. They likely know something is wrong, they just don't know what.

im not sure i understand what good would come from me informing the wives of the OM of their husbands infidelity w my wife. had i thought about that earlier? yes...but it was revenge that was behind that thought...not closure.... it was more of "since my life has been ruined, i might as well ruin those men's lives as well by telling their wives".
Don't those wives have the same right to know what is going on in their lives as you do?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by gettingintune
installing spyware on her smart phone is reasonable. installing spyware to the computers in the house is reasonable. having access to her work email account is most likely illegal and would violate Federal HIPAA regulations as she works in the health field.

If she can't do this, then she needs to find a job where you will have access. She can't have this loophole and have a safe marriage.

Affairs and lies are what poison little children. Not telling them leaves them vulnerable to your wife's destructive behavior. Telling them lies about the source of tension in their home just confuses them and teaches them that dishonesty is acceptable.

What good would come is that they have been wronged by your wife and their husbands and they have a right and a need to know. It is indecent to help the affairees hide their secret from their victims.

These women and their children are innocent victims whose lives are being ruined by your wife and their husbands. They need the truth so they can protect themselves and keep your wife out of their lives.

i realize i am naive by the standards of this board....but i honestly don't understand what that is going to achieve.

Hiding the truth from innocent victims achieves nothing.

the people and family in OUR closest circle all know the truth at this point.
her parents, her brothers, my sister, her closest friend, my closest friends, my closest cousins. how many people have to know about this? i already think too many people know our business now.

The more people who know, the more people to hold your wife accountable and support your marriage.

My main concern, though, are the innocent wives that your wife has victimized. They must know the truth so they can protect themselves and their children frm your wife and their husbands.

and, although i may be accused of being selfish for saying this... i don't really care about the other mens relationships w their wives. I'm trying to save my life and save my marriage. i truly don't give a &*^( about the other people. the OM's spouses aren't my problem.

If you need a selfish reason to do the right and decent thing, I will give you one: telling the wives benefits you because there will be TWO people watching the cheaters instead of one.

f the men...two live within an 8 min drive of our home.
one of them had an affair w WS's (EX)best friend as well

That is great. Living close by makes it easier for her to hook up. Is that what you want?

pre disclosure, some of those "girls nights out" were legit, and her getting together w her friends.... I am a musicain so I have scheduled nights out for performance or rehearsal. I have always limited them to no more then once per week since our kids were born in 08. I don't believe that ever married couple has to spend all their leisure time together. i think its healthy that she has a night here and there to be w her friends ...... not NOW though..... her "nights out" are off the calendar at this point, and i have further reduced my evenings away from the house as much as possible.

Your unhealthy views about marriage have led your marriage to a terrible state. If you don't rethink those views, you are headed to more affairs. Couples who lead separate social lives very often end having affairs. BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS.

When you get hit by a car while playing chicken, the solution is to get out of the road, not to become a better chicken player. If you don't get out of the road, you WILL get hit again.

i do feel like I'm doing just everything wrong according to the feedback from this site though.

You are doing a lot of things right and I applaud you for your methodical, thoughtful approach!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
If your neighbors bookkeeper is stealing his money would you use this excuse to not tell him?

"im not sure i understand what good would come from me informing my neighbor of this embezzlement. had i thought about that earlier? yes...but it was revenge that was behind that thought...not closure.... it was more of "since my life has been ruined, i might as well ruin my neighbors life by telling him his bookkeeper is robbing him blind".

Does that make any sense? Because that is what you are telling us about your wife's other victims.

Your concerns about "revenge" are irrelevant and are superseded by their right to know they have been harmed behind their backs.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr. Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders on telling the children:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
we have uncovered quite a lot of baggage and issues that we both had and repressed, and a lot of issues that we never death with or avoided and ignored.

More time wasting.

im confused at this as well, because from my point of view, these discussions are allowing us to realize that the MB basic concepts were not being satisfied for one another, by one another.

ideas like the Love Bank, Emotional Needs, Instincts and Habits, Policy of UA,...that is stuff we never really thought about...never defined....never devoted anytime to , especially after the kids came along, so for me, recognizing that there was a deficit of all those concepts in the marriage, is a first step in acknowledging the problems existed pre-affairs, and for me, allows me to work towards implementing a new approach....a new awareness.

but, i'm "just wasting time" ? i really don't understand.

before you try to fix a problem, you have to become aware of the problem. the problem, wasn't the affairs...the problem was the state of our relationship prior to the affairs....

not devoting some serious brain power to recognizing the state the relationship was in prior to the affairs, to me, would seem to be time wasted.

i can't apply a solution if I dont recognize the problem.

these discussions focused on emotional needs that were not being met, they focused on how each of our instincts and behaviors affected our view of the marriage. someone posted "we don't care about your perceptions". i think that is ludicrous. Perception IS reality for each of us. what we perceive to be true IS true for each of us, regardless of it not being objective reality.

we didn't perceive the PROBLEMS, but we certainly felt a disconnect, and yet never did anything to address the disconnect, as we didn't know how and where we were disconnecting...

we both realize that we didn't have much if any UA for one another. work-kids-sleep-work-kids-sleep...became the routine. we quit focusing on our relationship...and we let it die out. how we coped was drastically different. she obviously found a way to have emotional needs met, to have some UA from other men, etc.... I choose to just live w the situation and figured , "i guess this happens to all marriages...." and planned to sleep walk thru the next decade/s until the kids headed for college.

so addressing the deficit of "the MB basic concepts" , even though we weren't using that terminology, seems to me, to be a vitally important step in trying to see if rebuilding and recovery is an option.

so once again..explain to me, how this is just "more time wasting"

i don't think i understand this site at all. i feel like an atheist who accidentally walked into a born again revival tent

just because people aren't using the MB terminology, doesn't mean they are wasting their time, and doing things wrong.

the basic concepts pages, and love bank..et al..that stuff makes a ton of sense. the concept of articulating here is WHY the affairs happened, because the following ingredients weren't part of the recipe, is huge.... the terminology and distinct definitions here certainly help articulate what was missing....but i still don't get how its wasting time, recognizing what was missing.... its like baking a cake and the cake sucks...because you forget to add something important. how are you going to make a better cake if you dont figure out what you skipped the first time?

are cake analogies ok here? certainly don't want to break anymore rules.

Last edited by gettingintune; 04/25/15 12:13 PM.
M
M
we both realize that we didn't have much if any UA for one another. work-kids-sleep-work-kids-sleep...became the routine. we quit focusing on our relationship...and we let it die out. how we coped was drastically different. she obviously found a way to have emotional needs met, to have some UA from other men, etc.... I choose to just live w the situation and figured , "i guess this happens to all marriages...." and planned to sleep walk thru the next decade/s until the kids headed for college.

gettingintune, thanks for your clarification. This makes perfect sense and I understand what you mean. Recognition of the issues that led you here is great. What I hope you avoid at all cost is endless discussion of the past, which is a waste of time. But what you describe above is actually an enlightened attitude, which is helpful.

Exposure 101

P
P
we have uncovered quite a lot of baggage and issues that we both had and repressed, and a lot of issues that we never death with or avoided and ignored.

More time wasting.

im confused at this as well, because from my point of view, these discussions are allowing us to realize that the MB basic concepts were not being satisfied for one another, by one another.

ideas like the Love Bank, Emotional Needs, Instincts and Habits, Policy of UA,...that is stuff we never really thought about...never defined....never devoted anytime to , especially after the kids came along, so for me, recognizing that there was a deficit of all those concepts in the marriage, is a first step in acknowledging the problems existed pre-affairs, and for me, allows me to work towards implementing a new approach....a new awareness.

but, i'm "just wasting time" ? i really don't understand.

before you try to fix a problem, you have to become aware of the problem. the problem, wasn't the affairs...the problem was the state of our relationship prior to the affairs....

Right now, your main problem IS the affairs. The primary issue is that she has poor boundaries around men. It doesn't help to psychoanalyze why, but try to fix the issue.

Many people go through low points in their relationships. Many people have less than stellar marriages and/or circumstances that make it difficult to meet emotional needs (sickness, military deployment, whatever), but not all have affairs. If that were true, YOU would be having an affair right now because the state of your marriage is bad. People who have affairs have poor boundaries and are often impulsive. Those behaviors need to be corrected, no matter the cause.

The first step in trying to correct those behaviors is to bring them to light through exposure and then try to prevent them with extraordinary precautions.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
B
B
its like baking a cake and the cake sucks...because you forget to add something important. how are you going to make a better cake if you dont figure out what you skipped the first time?

The same analogy can apply for why you expose to the BSs, tell your children, and put EPs in place (and an EP is not a negotiable request BTW)...your cake will suck if you skip these ingredients.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Right now, your main problem IS the affairs. The primary issue is that she has poor boundaries around men. It doesn't help to psychoanalyze why, but try to fix the issue.

Many people go through low points in their relationships. Many people have less than stellar marriages and/or circumstances that make it difficult to meet emotional needs (sickness, military deployment, whatever), but not all have affairs. If that were true, YOU would be having an affair right now because the state of your marriage is bad. People who have affairs have poor boundaries and are often impulsive. Those behaviors need to be corrected, no matter the cause.

The first step in trying to correct those behaviors is to bring them to light through exposure and then try to prevent them with extraordinary precautions.

the affairs stopped day before disclosure. oddly, the morning that i found the pics, and later confronted her, that morning she had sent an email to her now-ex-best friend, who was part of the social network that condoned that behavior, saying that she reached a point that she realized she needed to stop doing she was doing. not that , that makes much difference, but from that email, which ive seen, and the time it was sent, to the person it was sent to, shows that some part of her finally came to its senses and realized this behavior need to stop

confronting her, having her disclose, exposing the behavior to friends and family 4 months ago, has (from my perception) stopped the affairs. she is not having an affair now and hasn't had any contact with any of the OPs as of Jan 2nd...

we both went thru the "check list on how to affairs should end" last evening, and believe that all of those items have been fulfilled.

so i don't believe the affairs are the problem. the affairs were a behavior which resulted from a relationship that wasn't fullfilling for either partner. the first step is to recognize what was missing, that allowed that behavior to be an option, and to insure that the relationship is rebuilt into a new relationship. my goal isnt to have things be the way they were pre-affair. that WAS the problem. my goal is to have things be drastically and radically different now that we are post disclosure, exposure, ending of affairs.

if i keep thinking "the affairs are the problem" im not going to do anything to change the behavior for myself or for my spouse

if i recognize and realize my behavior and my spouses behavior pre-affair WAS the problem, then we both can take steps to insure we don't repeat those patterns, and carve out a new relationship

yes, i realize that if everyone reacted the way my wife did to a problem marriage, i would have affairs myself...but i didnt. i coped in a different manner.

Last edited by gettingintune; 04/25/15 12:46 PM.
G
OP Offline
G
gettingintune, thanks for your clarification. This makes perfect sense and I understand what you mean. Recognition of the issues that led you here is great. What I hope you avoid at all cost is endless discussion of the past, which is a waste of time. But what you describe above is actually an enlightened attitude, which is helpful.

thats exactly what we DONT want to do. we DONT want to spend time discussing the past, but we need to know what to work on in the present. thats the goal right now. we need to focus on the PRESENT, which again, is part of why i say , right now that affairs ARENT the problem, the problem is what allowed the affairs to happen..... so focusing on the present situation, and know what was missing, and insuring things are different now, seems to me, to be making progress forward

Last edited by gettingintune; 04/25/15 12:49 PM.
B
B
the problem is what allowed the affairs to happen..... so focusing on the present situation, and know what was missing, and insuring things are different now, seems to me, to be making progress forward

What was missing was boundaries. Unmet ENs are not the reason your WW cheating. What EN did these men meet other than sex? Craigslist and AshleyMadison are for sexual hookups...not to have conversations, recreational companionship, go to dinner, or a movie. You seem to be missing that.

Your WW was trolling for sex with random strangers. There was no "emotion" in that.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
[we both went thru the "check list on how to affairs should end" last evening, and believe that all of those items have been fulfilled.

With the glaring exception of exposure to these men's wives and your children. That is a critical exposure that should not be skipped. Your wife will agree if she is sincere about change. Not that you should obtain her agreement to expose to these women. It should just be done without forewarning her.

There is also the issue of two of her OM living so close by. That will always be a threat to your marriage because her feelings will be triggered on a regular basis. Dr. Harley recommends moving in such a situation and I would strongly recommend you do that. You really can't afford to take risks like that with your life. You have been through hell and this is a needless risk.

so i don't believe the affairs are the problem. the affairs were a behavior which resulted from a relationship that wasn't fullfilling for either partner. the first step is to recognize what was missing, that allowed that behavior to be an option, and to insure that the relationship is rebuilt into a new relationship. my goal isnt to have things be the way they were pre-affair. that WAS the problem. my goal is to have things be drastically and radically different now that we are post disclosure, exposure, ending of affairs.

Missing elements of your relationship certainly made the affairs more tempting, but she had the affairs because she was seeking them out. While she does have poor boundaries with men, that is not the main reason she had the affairs. She felt entitled to them and actively pursued them, versus the typical affair that is somewhat accidental. In the typical affair, someone with poor boundaries sort of falls into it and before they know it, they are in deep water. Much like the analogy of the frog in boiling water.

The point I am trying to make is that you can meet her needs 1000% but she will still have affairs if she is out looking for them as she has in the past. Meeting her needs will not protect you from that. Below is a discussion between Steve Harley [the therapist son of Dr Harley and another board member about this point]

Steve Harley: "As long as you believe that your H had an affair because his emotional needs were not being met (as a *primary* reason) you will be meeting his emotional needs out of fear, there will always be a gun held to your head. Your H had an affair because he failed to protect HIMSELF from his own vulnerabilities, period. He is accountable and responsible for all"

JustKim: He then went on to explain that perhaps my H has been telling me that "it wont happen again, that I am safe, etc..." BUT that it will likely have little reassuring effect because he is saying things that I believed were *always true*.

He said that until my H proves to me that HE gets it, that HE takes responsibility fully for what happened ( the A, not the downslide of our marriage) that you cannot heal.

Exposure 101

M
M
Let me put this another way. No spouse meets their spouses needs 100% at all times. What happens if you flounder again? What happens if you get sick and are hospitalized for a lengthy period time? Does she therefore feel an entitlement to seek out other men again?

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by black_raven
What was missing was boundaries. Unmet ENs are not the reason your WW cheating. What EN did these men meet other than sex? Craigslist and AshleyMadison are for sexual hookups...not to have conversations, recreational companionship, go to dinner, or a movie. You seem to be missing that.

Your WW was trolling for sex with random strangers. There was no "emotion" in that.

from the articles Ive read on this site, it seemed that unmet EN are EXACTLY the reason for affairs.

P
P
Yeah, no. Affairs are less tempting when your needs are met, but that doesn't prevent them. Think about it. I have not seen or talked to my husband in 7 months. None of my needs are met. That means I should be having an affair. I'm not because I have good boundaries.

Listen to Dr. Harley on the radio. He says this time and time again.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
M
M

from the articles Ive read on this site, it seemed that unmet EN are EXACTLY the reason for affairs.

I have also read every article, read every book, gone through the MB course with Dr. Harley, met Dr Harley, and listened to almost every MB radio show going back to 2006. Unmet needs make affairs more tempting, but the basic reason in your case is that your wife was trolling for action. If she had not done that, there would have been no affairs. Even if needs are met 100%, she will still have an affair if she continues to troll and if she has poor boundaries around men.

We have many betrayed spouses on this forum who met their spouses needs perfectly. The WS had an affair because his/her love banks were open for business. In your case, it is much more than that: she was trolling for action. That did not happen by accident, but by design.

Exposure 101

J
JBD Offline
J

**EDIT**

IMHO, the road forward for you can MOST CERTAINLY be helped by adhering to the advice you have gotten. Just one persons opinion, but your situation is almost the model for Dr. Harley's plan, which is good news, because that means it is a model for success! smile

Last edited by Mizar; 04/28/15 04:05 PM. Reason: TOS
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation