Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
nique84 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello, I am new here and have found� myself� in an OC situation.� My then BF of seven years, but now H� got� another� pregnant� three months� after we conceived� our last daughter. Out daughter� was born� this past September , OC was born December. I know� that a child� is innocent and that� at the time� of conception of this� OC� we were not married� but we were living� together� and raising� a family. I love� him very� much and decided� to stay so� that we could� work on our relationship. Prior to marriage� I was open� and honest� and told him how� very� hurt� I was abt� OC/OW. I also� made him� aware� that I could� not support� him in co parenting.� I felt we just� needed time to work on� us and asked that he not push OC on me. I have� decided� that if he wants� to participate� in OC life that is his decision,� but I cannot. H stated� that he wants to focus� on us as well and that in the future� if we decide� that we want OC to be apart of our family, we will� decide� together. I� know� ppl may think� I am just� awful,� maybe� even foolish� to marry this man , but I am just concerned� and focused� on raising� our kids.� I don't� believe� in divorce� nor do I� want� one, but OW and H's high� school� friend/x friend have� been� difficult� and judgemental� even� trying� to push OC on me� lately.� I know� she is hurt� but� I can't� help� the way I feel. Any advice?

M
M
Originally Posted by nique84
I know ppl may think I am just awful, maybe even foolish to marry this man , but I am just concerned and focused on raising our kids. I don't believe in divorce nor do I want one, but OW and H's high school friend/x friend have been difficult and judgemental even trying to push OC on me lately. I know she is hurt but I can't help the way I feel. Any advice?

You and your husband are RIGHT to keep the OW and the OC out of your lives. She is a threat to your marriage and the OC will only remind you of the worst thing that ever happened to you. It won't help the OC in any way to have your husband hanging around because it will be harder for the OW to find a husband to help father him.

So tell your "friends" to buzz off. Its real easy for them to be judgmental when its not their ox getting gored, isn't it? They won't be harmed by such a decision, you WILL, so just ignore them!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
nique84 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Melodylane.....thanks
Prior to this situation I said plenty of things about how I would handle such an unfortunate thing.....walk away. I stayed and now I just want to navigate this successfully with my H. He spoke with her at court and now all hell has broken lose. He wasn't supposed to be in contact with her at all prior to this court date but according to her he doesn't even want to be married and is continuing to make me look foolish. I don't understand how this became an issue of our marriage vs.her concern for OC. She said she didn't want to come between our marriage and cause problems but she is. Her mouthpiece sent my H a long message abt how horrible he is and how his son (OC) is the most important factor. I can't live like this.

S
S
Melodylane.....thanks
Prior to this situation I said plenty of things about how I would handle such an unfortunate thing.....walk away. I stayed and now I just want to navigate this successfully with my H. He spoke with her at court and now all hell has broken lose. He wasn't supposed to be in contact with her at all prior to this court date but according to her he doesn't even want to be married and is continuing to make me look foolish. I don't understand how this became an issue of our marriage vs.her concern for OC. She said she didn't want to come between our marriage and cause problems but she is. Her mouthpiece sent my H a long message abt how horrible he is and how his son (OC) is the most important factor. I can't live like this.
The one and only reason that OWs fight to keep the married man in contact with OC is to try and break up his marriage.

She wants your husband. She knows how weak he is for her and she is determined to wear down his defences until he caves in and leaves you for her. This is her strategy, and she has no shame about it.

You need to insist that your H observes NC with her and the child, and if he won't, you need to walk away.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
I
I
You also need to go NC with this'friend'.

Can you change your numbers etc so that they can no longer harass you? It is imperative to do this with the OW.

Dr H tells married men to stay out of the lives of their OC until they are adults because of the high chances they will end up cheating on their wives and turning the child's life upside down. Affairs are highly addictive so it WILL restart. Your children are the priory. (Besides he will have little time for any child with two women).

He says the best chance is for the child is for the OW to find a proper husband and she has little chance of that with a married lover hanging around. It is a constant reminder to all that she is no good.

What is the legal situation? Is he able to leave the mother and child to their own devices?

If you are close to this OW and her high school clique, I would consider moving.

Last edited by indiegirl; 06/06/15 02:41 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

N
nique84 Offline OP
OP Offline
N

We have� gone� no contact but once� we sent� the notice� to� OW� the "friend" contacted me. The "friend " is in a similar� OC situation. Our� numbers� have been� changed and we also relocated� about� 2 1/2 hours� away......not far enough. H had DNA testing� done for confirmation� and is paying� CS, as he should.� The crazy� thing� is the "friend" didn't� even� know� the OW until� abt five months� ago, but was a friend� of my H� for years and both� of our� classmate. She had the nerve� to say OW was depressed� and that God does not� like OC being� abandoned. All children� should� be treated� equally� and OC should� come first� along� with our� children. H and I marriage� should� not come first,� H needs to bond with� OC. How would� that work, we have an infant� he needs to bond� with also. I was thinking� after� some� time passed� and our marriage� was solid� and the pain� wasn't so fresh� OC would� not be as difficult of a situation.� I was wrong� to think� that, as things� have gotten� pretty� ugly.

S
S
We have� gone� no contact but once� we sent� the notice� to� OW� the "friend" contacted me. The "friend " is in a similar� OC situation. Our� numbers� have been� changed and we also relocated� about� 2 1/2 hours� away......not far enough. H had DNA testing� done for confirmation� and is paying� CS, as he should.� The crazy� thing� is the "friend" didn't� even� know� the OW until� abt five months� ago, but was a friend� of my H� for years and both� of our� classmate. She had the nerve� to say OW was depressed� and that God does not� like OC being� abandoned. All children� should� be treated� equally� and OC should� come first� along� with our� children. H and I marriage� should� not come first,� H needs to bond with� OC. How would� that work, we have an infant� he needs to bond� with also. I was thinking� after� some� time passed� and our marriage� was solid� and the pain� wasn't so fresh� OC would� not be as difficult of a situation.� I was wrong� to think� that, as things� have gotten� pretty� ugly.
What are this friend's professional qualifications?

What makes her think she has the right to tell you how to live your lives and protect your marriage and children? More to the point, why did you listen to this tirade?

I think you can see where contact with OC will get you; to somewhere ugly, as you say.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

Tell your friend to go to hell. It is great to have stupid advice when she does not have to suffer the consequences. YOU and your children do. I would unfriend her.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
Sounds like a not-friend.

N
nique84 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
It was sent in the� form of a text so I actually� didn't� hear the "friend ", and no she isn't� a friend. I� just really� want encouragement� regarding� this all.....so many� factors� to consider. I know� in my heart� at the end of the day my intentions� are not to hurt anyone,� but I� must� really� look� out for kids and my own interest.

M
M
It was sent in the� form of a text so I actually� didn't� hear the "friend ", and no she isn't� a friend. I� just really� want encouragement� regarding� this all.....so many� factors� to consider. I know� in my heart� at the end of the day my intentions� are not to hurt anyone,� but I� must� really� look� out for kids and my own interest.

You are exactly right, nique. Your kids have to come first. If your husband stayed in contact with the OC, it would greatly threaten your marriage, which is your children's only security. That would be a needless and foolish risk. Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders fully agrees with your position.

He discusses it in these radio clips:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3684
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3685
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=3686

Exposure 101

I
I
This is not a woman who should be friends with you, much less your husband.

She's dealt a death blow to somebody's marriage and is now on a mission to keep married men in contact with their mistresses and mistresses' children? If she felt so strongly about children's fathers she should have got one for her own.

A man can't father two families - it's physically impossible. She's raging at the wind for being blowy. Nobody made her get herself into that situation.

Why would you move away from this crank and not change your contact details?

Please tell me OW can't contact you too?

I
I
You know, there was an OC on here a while back (she became a BW) who described her father's visits as dirty secrets. She was not supposed to ask about why he didn't stick around for long.

They would have to have pretended it was OK for a married man to go on seeing his mistress - or stopped. He barely paid attention to her anyway.

Her mother also never became remorseful or repentant, never remarried, never prepared for her old age and told her daughter she expected HER to care for her in spite of the fact this would put great strain on her daughter's marriage.

It's quite disgusting that on top of not securing a real husband and father for their child, they refuse to take sole responsibility for raising their own child (as so many BWs have to).

If a BW can decide she is no longer allowing adultery near her children and choose to go it alone - why can't an OW?

A
A
You are doing the right thing. Don't let a fool make you doubt what is right.

M
M
Originally Posted by apples123
You are doing the right thing. Don't let a fool make you doubt what is right.

*like*

Exposure 101

N
nique84 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Morning, when is it appropriate to inform children of OC, and why do I experience guilt from the NC agreement? We both still agree with NC, but why is it that I feel this way?

A
A
How old is your child?

A
A
My sister, while not an OC, has a different biological father. Her bio father was not reliable. My parents courted and married while my mother was pregnant (all known to my father). Dad's name is the one on my sister's birth certificate. He raised her from birth til he gave her away at her wedding.

Her biological father had 4 children by 3 different women. My sister is far more stable than her other half siblings who mothers maintained contact. My sister now has some contact as an adult that is friendly and light, more like he is a good friend's father.

My nephews are in a similar situation. My SIL's first husband signed over custody and her second husband adopted them when they were 1 and 2 years old. They are in high school now. THey never had to deal with shared visitation, different house rules, etc. They are doing very well.

So YES, NC is the right choice.

A
A
It is the right choice for the OC because it gives the OC the best chance of having a full time father with a nuclear family.

A
A
Morning, when is it appropriate to inform children of OC, and why do I experience guilt from the NC agreement? We both still agree with NC, but why is it that I feel this way?

I suspect my parents first told us about my sister's biological father when we were 3 or 4 years old because I cannot recall ever NOT knowing. I'm guessing when they were teaching us about purity and that no one but a spouse has the right to touch one's body. They weren't afraid to use them selves as object lessons; it probably came up as one of the consequences of sin. And also how God can work out bad situations for the good.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation