Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2870795 11/25/15 01:15 PM
C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi. I just started Love Busters yesterday and i read where we should be having at least 15 hours of quality time together. I instantly felt a wave of hopelessness. Theres no way we can ever achieve this. We dont have a babysitter. And when he has to go get his son for the weekend i hardly ever see him those weekends because of the long drive to get him and taje him back. He leaves straight from work and gets home around bedtime. He works every saturday(temporary until we are debt free) and Sunday when he has hus son is a long druve taking him home. Me and the kids stay home when he takes his son home. During the week i see him about 2.5 hours after work before its bedtime. Do you all really spend 15 hours a week just you two together??

P
P
Do you all really spend 15 hours a week just you two together??
Yes, and we have 7 kids (going on 8).

To do this, you have to set your priorities. You first schedule the time for your marriage, and then you fit everything else in around that time. Doing this is essential for the health of your marriage -- the program does not work without this step. We have found that by having the 15 hours a week together, we are also better parents and better employees. Life just feels better, and we are more productive.

It is doable, you will just have to change your lifestyle. Put your marriage first, and everything else will fall into place.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

A
A
Yes, we struggled with this a lot, but we decided to make our marriage a priority and now it is really our priority. We have jobs, kids and other responsabilities as well.

And no, doing less hours is not an option, you start to feel the difference once you do 15 hours a week, no less. Five or ten hours a week will not give you enough time to make enough deposits, thus you will feel less motivated. Do not bargain with it, just do it.

FBW 36 (me)
DH 35
DD6,DD4,DS1
On Recovery
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by Modestmama
Hi. I just started Love Busters yesterday and i read where we should be having at least 15 hours of quality time together. I instantly felt a wave of hopelessness. Theres no way we can ever achieve this. We dont have a babysitter. And when he has to go get his son for the weekend i hardly ever see him those weekends because of the long drive to get him and taje him back. He leaves straight from work and gets home around bedtime. He works every saturday(temporary until we are debt free) and Sunday when he has hus son is a long druve taking him home. Me and the kids stay home when he takes his son home. During the week i see him about 2.5 hours after work before its bedtime. Do you all really spend 15 hours a week just you two together??

Many spend more time than that. The key is to prioritize your marriage before less important things. Once you do that, you will find the time. If he can find time to go to work and pick up his child, he can find time for his marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
??????? If he can find time to go to work and pick up his child??? Like what? Stop getting his son and quit his job? Okay...this really seems undoable in our life..we seriously do not have 15 hours a week. We barely have an hour!

C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just want to say i am happy for all of you who can do this. Unfortunately, I dont see a way at all in my marriage.

P
P
??????? If he can find time to go to work and pick up his child??? Like what? Stop getting his son and quit his job? Okay...this really seems undoable in our life..we seriously do not have 15 hours a week. We barely have an hour!

You do not have the time because you have not made the time.

We have the time because we make it a priority in our lives. It took work to change our livestyles so that we could do this -- it wasn't by some magic pixy dust or luck of the draw. We're not doing anything that you couldn't do, if you were willing.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M

You actually have 168 hours a week. Do you think he could keep a job if he only went for an hour a week? Of course not. So how do you and he expect to sustain a marriage that way? You can't.

The issue is not that you don't have time, it is that you don't prioritize your time.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"You have 168 hours every week (24x7) to schedule for something. I highly recommend 8 hours of sleep a night, so that leaves 112 waking hours. Getting ready for the day, and going to bed at night may require, say, 12 hours, and work plus commute may take another 50 hours. That leaves 50 more hours to spend doing what you value most, and 15 of those hours should be dedicated to maintaining a passionate and fulfilling marriage.

If you have not been in the habit of spending 15 hours a week for undivided attention, it will mean that something less important will have to go. But it will radically change your life for the better, because you will be investing in one of the single most important parts of your life -- your relationship with your spouse."
here

Like I said, if he can find time to go to work and drive to pick up his son, I assure you he can find time for something much more important, like his marriage. All it takes is willingness. How did he find time to pick up his son? How did he find time to go to work?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
You have 168 hours every week (24x7) to schedule for something. I highly recommend 8 hours of sleep a night, so that leaves 112 waking hours. Getting ready for the day, and going to bed at night may require, say, 12 hours, and work plus commute may take another 50 hours. That leaves 50 more hours to spend doing what you value most, and 15 of those hours should be dedicated to maintaning a passionate and fulfilling marriage.

If you have not been in the habit of spending 15 hours a week for undivided attention, it will mean that something less important will have to go. But it will radically change your life for the better, because you will be investing in one of the single most important parts of your life -- your relationship with your spouse.
From The Policy of Undivided Attention
I suggest you read that whole article.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am willing. But you dont understand . Theres no time to make time. I stay at home allll day. I dont go anywhere. Theres nothing to rearrange. And quitting his job and abandoning his child is not an option.

M
M
One thing that may help is planning to become debt free later. Debt puts much less strain on marriage than being unable to meet each other's emotional needs.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I am willing. But you dont understand . Theres no time to make time. I stay at home allll day. I dont go anywhere. Theres nothing to rearrange. And quitting his job and abandoning his child is not an option.

I stay home too. All day.
I have 8 kids.

If I can do it, so can you. You've given up before you even tried.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

F
F
There are 168 hours in a week. 15 hours is only 9% of the week. You can spend the other 91% doing almost anything else!

I would point out that you found time for your husband to squeeze in a job every Saturday. Presumably because you wish to be debt free. While that is a noble goal, you've traded your time together for it.

15 hours certainly isn't impossible if you think it through.

The intent on this forum isn't to scold you. It's to help you work through how and where to find that time. Would you be willing to work through that logically?

You seem to have your mind made up already that it isn't possible and aren't really open to solutions. Just an observation.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M

Just so you know, this program does not work without this step because you can't possibly sustain a marriage on an hour a week. Going to work and picking up children will not sustain a marriage. And that's ok with us if you don't do it, but you will be wasting your time with this program if you refuse to spend 15+ hours of UA time with your husband every week.

When Dr Harley was in private practice he would refuse to work with any couple who refused to do this step, because "my program will not work without it."

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill Harley
"Our program for recovery only works when it's followed. The 15 hours of undivided attention we recommend is an essential part of the program because it provides the opportunity to meet emotional needs that cannot be met any other way. There are lots of excuses for failing to follow that aspect of our program, but in the end, failure to follow it results in a failed recovery."

Exposure 101

M
M
Theres nothing to rearrange. And quitting his job and abandoning his child is not an option.

But neglecting your marriage is an option? Doesn't that demonstrate that your priorities are messed up?

Exposure 101

C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am not saying that I don't agree that having that time is important. I do believe that the emptiness of my love bank is mostly due to the fact of us not spending time together. We have been married 9 years and maybe been on 4 dates by ourselves. I understand that this program will not work without those hours. So maybe I need to look at another program? I don't feel there is time to "find 15 hours". Seriously.
Here's our schedule.
Tues-Friday wake @ 3am Hubby leaves at 4am to go to work.
He gets home at 5pm. We go to bed at 7:30pm (kids in bed at 6)
Fridays that he gets his son, I see him enough to say goodnight.

Every Saturday he works all day 10-8pm. This side job is a new job. And its just temporary until out of debt. We cant do without this job. It's been a blessing. We have to get out of debt..or we risk going under.

Sundays: Church 10-1:30. If its a sunday we have his son then we eat lunch right after church and he leaves right after lunch to take him home. And I dont see him till that night.

Mondays: (Off days of work and school)Grocery Shopping.

I just dont see getting 15 hours from that. Without neglecting the kids. Im not saying there ISNT time at all.....just not 15 hours.

C
closed Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Theres nothing to rearrange. And quitting his job and abandoning his child is not an option.

But neglecting your marriage is an option? Doesn't that demonstrate that your priorities are messed up?

Riiiiiiiiight. So quit your job and disown your son just so we can have more time for each other. That is horrible!
Lets loose everything we have, our home, our cars, but as long as we have each other it O.K...PFFFT!!!!

M
M
I am not saying that I don't agree that having that time is important. I do believe that the emptiness of my love bank is mostly due to the fact of us not spending time together. We have been married 9 years and maybe been on 4 dates by ourselves. I understand that this program will not work without those hours. So maybe I need to look at another program? I don't feel there is time to "find 15 hours". Seriously.

There is seriously no such thing as a program that works if you neglect your marriage. it is not a matter of the right program, it is just a true fact that you can't sustain a marriage if you don't spend time with your spouse.

What magic program will produce a great marriage when you neglect it? There is no such thing.

Here's our schedule.
Tues-Friday wake @ 3am Hubby leaves at 4am to go to work.
He gets home at 5pm. We go to bed at 7:30pm (kids in bed at 6)
Fridays that he gets his son, I see him enough to say goodnight.

This is the first problem I would address. He needs to find a job were he is home at a reasonable hour. The job should complement the marriage, not the other way around. You can't expect to stay married this way.

If he found a job where he is home by 5pm every night, you could get 2-3 dates per week. [hire a babysitter] So there is 10 hours right there.

Every Saturday he works all day 10-8pm. This side job is a new job. And its just temporary until out of debt. We cant do without this job. It's been a blessing. We have to get out of debt..or we risk going under.

Here is 4 more hours that can be devoted to your marriage. You can go out on dates on Saturday. He can either quit the job or find one that works with your marriage. This one does not.

Sundays: Church 10-1:30. If its a sunday we have his son then we eat lunch right after church and he leaves right after lunch to take him home. And I dont see him till that night.

If this is every week, you could make it once a month and you go on the ride with him. That way you could spend quality time together on the ride home.

Mondays: (Off days of work and school)Grocery Shopping.

Once again, if you have time to do all this less important stuff, you have plenty of time to go out on dates. All it takes is willingness.

I just dont see getting 15 hours from that. Without neglecting the kids. Im not saying there ISNT time at all.....just not 15 hours.

You are neglecting your kids if you are neglecting your marriage. And yes, you are neglecting your marriage.

It is in your children's best interest for you to haev a solid, secure marriage. By neglecting their marriage, you are risking their security!

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Riiiiiiiiight. So quit your job and disown your son just so we can have more time for each other. That is horrible!
Lets loose everything we have, our home, our cars, but as long as we have each other it O.K...PFFFT!!!!

Ok, now you are being silly and dramatic. No one told you to have him "quit his job" and "disown his son."

Are you here to waste our time or find solutions? See, we have already achieved great marriages and are volunteering our own free time to help you.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 977 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation