Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by IntuitionGMH
[
Melody, i really appreciate your insight. He has done all of the items on the checklist except for the exposure. Is it appropriate for HIM the WH to write a letter to the OWH and to his children and email them telling them of the affair and his SSL.

No, you should do all the exposures on your own without forewarning him. He doesn't do the exposures, YOU DO. The check list applies to you too and that is one thing you must do. NOT HIM.

That is the affair proofing part of recovery.

The next step is marital recovery. He needs to commit 100% to giving you just compensation and recoering the marriage. So far, he is sitting around doing nothing, but you can show him this program.

Your exposures need to be done NOW so you can move onto next steps.
ok, thanks, i will DO IT. you are right , he is just sitting around thinking it was no big deal and it will all go away and he will let me know when he is ready to start marriage building rather than marriage wrecking...

Love ME now.
M
M
[
ok, thanks, i will DO IT. you are right , he is just sitting around thinking it was no big deal and it will all go away and he will let me know when he is ready to start marriage building rather than marriage wrecking...

Good girl!! Get that part done and we will help you with next steps. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
[

Okay...i will. thanks for your guidance..i am strong and will do it.

Love ME now.
B
B
[

Okay...i will. thanks for your guidance..i am strong and will do it.
Good job. We will be here for you.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
OP Offline
I
I have spent the last 4 days waffling about exposure and who to expose to. Against your advice I have just today exposed my WH's 3.5 yr affair to the OW's husband (formerly known as our best friends...now known as the OW and OW'sH)

He laughed and said it wasn't possible. I gave him more details and told him my WH has called his wife to end it and my sister has emailed her to end their relationship as well. He came around and agreed this is a red flag wake up call for both our marriages. He will be talking to his WS next week when they are both in the same city...home for Christmas...how nice.
I am not going to expose this to my WH's adult children ..my step children. I know this is a weak exposure and I get that this could be a big problem in recovery. I think I am dealing with a narcissist really...he felt entitled to what he didn't get in the marriage so went outside for years...Now I feel he feels even more entitled. He is seeing a counselor and wasn't forthcoming after his first visit..Just feels like more secrets to me unless i PRY out the information. He is telling his side of the story..JUSTIFYING? He is at counseling session #2 right now. Will see how his attitude is after hearing I told the OW's H today...and told him about the exposure just before he went to the counseling session. Had to fit it all in around the golf game you know. I am reading the book Not Just Friends by Shirley Glass. It is like reading my story. One day at a time..D Day 27 Nov 15..

Love ME now.
M
M
GMH, there isn't anything we can do for you if you won't follow the advice. Good luck and best wishes!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Everyone in affair mode has behaviour in line with narcissism. When the affair goes away it does too. You enable him to face no consequences and then wonder why he doesn't experience any!

Just feels like more secrets to me unless i PRY out the information. He is telling his side of the story..JUSTIFYING? He is at counseling session #2 right now. Will see how his attitude is after hearing I told the OW's H today...

But you've decided to keep the A a secret, so why shouldn't he? You've decided the A is not a big enough deal to do anything differently for, so why should he? You've been told this behaviour us to be expected without exposure, so that's what you've chosen for yourself.

That's your call.

It's sad your children and his don't get any say in this though. How mistrusted they will feel when they find out you decided they wouldn't do as support. I wish them luck because theyll need it with no information to go on while more marital drama unfolds.

Last edited by indiegirl; 12/10/15 07:01 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
OP Offline
I
Ok, thank you...i am proceeding very cautiously and am not a lost cause yet. My WH came back from counselling and we went out for dinner. Rather than pry out any info from him i waited til he told me something about the session. He said NOTHING. .i went to bed exhausted from the day...it took a lot out of me to expose him to the OW'sH yesterday and I had a huge headache.

I value everything you are telling me. I am reading and i am realizing clearly now that he has inappropriate boundaries with his daughter as well. She is hard on me and i have never felt supported by him and i now see that he must be sharing marital problems with her too about us. She was 17 when we met, now 34 , married w two kids. Just a day after D day she and he made plans for her to come here for a week holiday...they would have arrived today. When he told me after the fact that she had booked the flights which we paid for, i said No way...so the trip was cancelled. I need to give my head a shake..he does not get it.

He now tells me he is in a severe depression worse than ever in his life...he is 71. I guess he is in w.drawal based on the stages..so i am trying to be easy on him.......his 42 yr old son blames all his problems on his dad...he is unfaithful to his wife and spends time at strip clubs...his other daughter used to have anorexia...so his kids are all messed up......

I feel we are not moving forward in any way...so, if i expose this affair to his kids what do you see would be the benefit of it? I don,t have kids by the way....and his kids are from two different marriages. Don,t leave me just yet. I am trying hard here...

There is a financial component here. I quit working 15 years ago and am financially dependent on him. Splitting things will really FU our lives so perhaps that is a big part of my willingness to let things go. I know a lot of older couples who just live separate lives and i am not interested in finding another man so an option is just to emotionally detach and carry on with proper boundaries.

So, that last bit was me being completely honest with you....i would appreciate your thoughts on the financial bit....when my first husband had an affair i was working and all he saw was my dust..i did not stick around . 40 years later i am in the same situation but not as independent.

Thx...and please i need your comments..don,t write me off just yet.

Love ME now.
M
M
There is a financial component here. I quit working 15 years ago and am financially dependent on him. Splitting things will really FU our lives so perhaps that is a big part of my willingness to let things go. I know a lot of older couples who just live separate lives and i am not interested in finding another man so an option is just to emotionally detach and carry on with proper boundaries.

GMH, to be honest, we have already given you the necessary advice. You are free to take it or leave it. I have already explained to you that your path of doing nothing will lead to divorce because the affair will be on again, off again. The only chance you have of saving your marriage is exposure and diligently following the extraordinary precautions checklist. That's it.

Affairs thrive on secrecy, so keeping the secret only enables the affair. When he divorces you, you will be competing with the OW for his income because you didn't kill the affair.

There is a financial component here. I quit working 15 years ago and am financially dependent on him. Splitting things will really FU our lives so perhaps that is a big part of my willingness to let things go.

Seems like you would want to avoid that. But that is ok, if you want to end up divorced. If you get serious about wanting to save your marriage, let us know and we can help. But we can't help if you refuse ot follow the advice.

Exposure 101

I
I
Ok, thank you...i am proceeding very cautiously and am not a lost cause yet. My WH came back from counselling and we went out for dinner. Rather than pry out any info from him i waited til he told me something about the session. He said NOTHING. .i went to bed exhausted from the day...it took a lot out of me to expose him to the OW'sH yesterday and I had a huge headache.

I value everything you are telling me. I am reading and i am realizing clearly now that he has inappropriate boundaries with his daughter as well. She is hard on me and i have never felt supported by him and i now see that he must be sharing marital problems with her too about us. She was 17 when we met, now 34 , married w two kids. Just a day after D day she and he made plans for her to come here for a week holiday...they would have arrived today. When he told me after the fact that she had booked the flights which we paid for, i said No way...so the trip was cancelled. I need to give my head a shake..he does not get it.

He now tells me he is in a severe depression worse than ever in his life...he is 71. I guess he is in w.drawal based on the stages..so i am trying to be easy on him.......his 42 yr old son blames all his problems on his dad...he is unfaithful to his wife and spends time at strip clubs...his other daughter used to have anorexia...so his kids are all messed up......

I feel we are not moving forward in any way...so, if i expose this affair to his kids what do you see would be the benefit of it? I don,t have kids by the way....and his kids are from two different marriages. Don,t leave me just yet. I am trying hard here...

So, that last bit was me being completely honest with you....i would appreciate your thoughts on the financial bit....when my first husband had an affair i was working and all he saw was my dust..i did not stick around . 40 years later i am in the same situation but not as independent.

Thx...and please i need your comments..don,t write me off just yet.

Your call. Good luck.

I
I
One thing I would say is to see a lawyer. You don't have to take marriage saving advice if you don't want it, but you should get legal advice now, ahead of any divorce.

I
OP Offline
I
I have just finished reading NOT Just Friends by Shirley Glass and she does NOT promote telling the adult kids. I have outed my WH to the OWH and my WH spoke with the OWH today as well. The OWH is shocked and understands this is a red flag for their marriage.
I am glad I did not out to my WH's adult kids. The affair is NOT secret to me or to the OWH. I appreciate all your help with this, however, I don't feel one size fits all. Many respected therapists do not condone outing to a lot of people.

So, I guess I will see what happens. Again, Thanks..I got a lot of strength from your comments.

Love ME now.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by indiegirl
One thing I would say is to see a lawyer. You don't have to take marriage saving advice if you don't want it, but you should get legal advice now, ahead of any divorce.
yes, i will. thanks.

Love ME now.
M
M
I have just finished reading NOT Just Friends by Shirley Glass and she does NOT promote telling the adult kids.

Just so you know, Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist, author of Surviving an Affair and founder of Marriage Builders, recommends always telling the children and other family members. Lying to children and family members cannot be justified or defended.

The success of his program is based on wide spread exposure because it keeping it a secret hurts the wayward, the spouse and the family members. Expsure is most effective weapon against the affair. Affairs thrive on secrecy so keeping it a secret only serves to enable the affair.

Sorry, but you are getting bad advice that won't be supported here. If you don't want to follow the advice here, my suggestion would be to go to Shirley Glass's board.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

Dr. Harley on telling the children:

My position on many aspects of marital therapy has been admittedly controversial when first expressed. His Needs, Her Needs was ripped by many therapists in 1986 when it was first published because they didn't believe that men and women's emotional needs were different. Today, there are very few that believe that anymore.

My position on conflict management (Policy of Joint Agreement) was also roundly criticized by some feminists as giving away women's right to independence. Of course, most of these critics were not in favor of marriage in the first place. But today, the idea of finding mutually adventageous solutions to problems in marriage is main-stream.

And, my position on radical honesty and transparency in marriage, which was definitely not in the tool box of most counselors when I first brought it up, is now becoming much more accepted by therapists working in the trenches.

At first, whenever I came up with a new idea, I'd try it out on the couples I counseled. My goal was always to "do no harm" in my effort to help. I was very concerned about unintended consequences. But as I created methods that were logical outcomes of my basic theory, I found that these methods worked amazingly well every time they were implemented. That's why I can speak with such confidence today. I've personally witnessed thousands of successful outcomes when couples learn to meet each other's emotional needs, learn to make decisions with mutual enthusiastic agreement, and learn to be radically honest with each other.

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.

Best wishes,
Dr. Harley
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

Q. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

A. Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

Exposure 101

B
B
Since I'd just posted this elsewhere, I can easily copy and paste: Voices of Experience - False Recovery

That's not a slam on you intuition, I just don't have much time online tonight due to UA time with hubby. smile I hope that you will read some of that thread (my post is at the end).

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
B
B
There are some radio clips in here.
Exposing to Children

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
A
I have just finished reading NOT Just Friends by Shirley Glass and she does NOT promote telling the adult kids. I have outed my WH to the OWH and my WH spoke with the OWH today as well. The OWH is shocked and understands this is a red flag for their marriage.
I am glad I did not out to my WH's adult kids. The affair is NOT secret to me or to the OWH. I appreciate all your help with this, however, I don't feel one size fits all. Many respected therapists do not condone outing to a lot of people.

So, I guess I will see what happens. Again, Thanks..I got a lot of strength from your comments.

Dr Glass's advice is internally inconsistent. On the one hand, she states Honesty is the only way through the affair. She then encourages spouses to keep the affair secret from the people who would hold them accountable. (This is an issue for a number of counselors.)

M
M
What is going to happen is that you are going to end up getting divorced.

At the very beginning of this thread, I asked you what you wanted to do. Recovering from an affair is extremely difficult. It requires doing lots of things that are counterintuitive. It requires laying your own misguided opinions aside along with those of self-proclaimed " experts", and following this successful and proven plan to the letter. You are now doing the worst thing, which is putting yourself through the grief of going halfway, and subsequently failing to build a romantic and affair-proof marriage. You would have been better off to just call it quits from the beginning.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
I
I

It would be so nice if you did not believe lying to people is ok simply because they have troubles. Anorexia is no reason to treat someone like a Victorian insane asylum patient. She's ill, not crazy, or 'messed up'. How patronising of you to withhold information from her!

Does this glass person think it's ok to treat everyone, like well, glass? What if it had been the daughter who had found out and not you? Would glass advise her to lie to you?

I don't understand why his sons poor decisions in life is any reason to lie to him either, to be honest. He may be a liar, but you don't have to be. This son is still a grown up who can be given every opportunity to support his father. He either will or he won't: what is lost by trying? He may have copied infidelity habits from his father and so two families may depend on the light of exposure.

Overall you seem far too comfortable with secrets for an MB recovery which has zero tolerance for secrets.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by mrEureka
What is going to happen is that you are going to end up getting divorced.

At the very beginning of this thread, I asked you what you wanted to do. Recovering from an affair is extremely difficult. It requires doing lots of things that are counterintuitive. It requires laying your own misguided opinions aside along with those of self-proclaimed " experts", and following this successful and proven plan to the letter. You are now doing the worst thing, which is putting yourself through the grief of going halfway, and subsequently failing to build a romantic and affair-proof marriage. You would have been better off to just call it quits from the beginning.
it appears to me that exposing to the children of the couple who are living with the couple should know about the affair. i don't see how exposing to three adult step children ( i don't have children) who don't live close, only one of which we are close to
can possibly be productive. they don't confide in us with their marital problems..
i just don't get it....they all live thousands of miles away...it is not like what i see described here..the 7 year olds etc.

Love ME now.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 685 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation