Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2880420 04/27/16 09:17 PM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all, I am new here to the forums.Came and found this site after a big blow out my husband and I had last week that left me sleeping on the couch,we slowly came around and are getting along again so, I will not get much unto detail on that now because dinner is cooking. Anyways,I have been married 15 years have two beautiful daughters and am a stay at home mom. My husband owns several businesses and is a good provider and workaholic,I have grown used to it and rarely have complaints until he is late to dinner more then one night.

Here is my question did the books work for you? I looked over the site and what the books are about does not really apply to us, we have friends and its never been an issue. Money we did have issues in the beginning and learned a way where it works for both of us. Sex has it ups and downs and when communication is good sex is on,we have date nights and spend the evenings together.The main problem I am working around is communication,we don't often listen to the others side and are both stubborn people, he is all male and rarely sympathetic where I am an attacker, I would like to find a way we can both be on the same team again. Thank you

125 #2880427 04/27/16 09:36 PM
M
M
Hi 125, welcome to Marriage Builders. Yes, the program does work. The goal of the program is to help you fall in love again. This is done by eliminating behavior that causes you to fall out of love and employing behavior that creates romantic love. Rarely is "communication" the main problem. Couples who are in love have no trouble communicating.

I would suggest reading hte articles and then getting the books Lovebusters and His Needs, Her Needs. There is also a workbook called Five Steps to Romantic Love that has all the worksheets.

Here is a good start: How to Create Your Own Plan to Resolve Conflicts and Restore Love to Your Marriage

And then go to the first thread in this forum and read through all the links. It will be very helpful.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

125 #2880428 04/27/16 09:46 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
I looked over the site and what the books are about does not really apply to us, we have friends and its never been an issue.

The books apply to you if you are married. Are you married? How do you feel they don't apply to you?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2880453 04/28/16 01:02 AM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Melodylane.
I have read through the site over and over,and have listened to podcast's that all say communication is the number one reason why relationships fail. I am not looking for romance,he shows me romance in different way's and so much more then I experienced in my younger years, he compliments me at least once a day, does not see my unmade face or fault me for what I wear, he loves me for who I am,even when I am at my worst. He is truly an amazing man and I could not have picked a better one.We both are opposite and when we fight, no one backs down, we walk away when it gets heated and come back when cooled down.This is where I feel communication is failing, he said the D word for the first time and it scared me to death.I don't know how to tell him how much that hurt.We were both angry, I went somewhere where he told me not to go, and did not think it would be that big of a deal because to me his reasoning was silly. I do not ever want to feel that again,he left the house for several nights and would not return my calls. I hurt him and I don't know how to take that back..He is back to his normal self,and I said sorry to him, we had sex, I still feel like not enough was said.

Last edited by 125; 04/28/16 01:10 AM.
125 #2880454 04/28/16 06:58 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by 125
he left the house for several nights and would not return my calls.

That is very worrying. Do you know where he was during that time? Do you have access to his cellphone?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
125 #2880456 04/28/16 08:11 AM
M
M
Welcome 125,

Originally Posted by 125
I still feel like not enough was said.

If you keep digging into this site better yet get the LoveBusters book you'll find this site IS VERY relative to your situation.

Communication is important and Dr Harley has a plan for improving communication. Communication is a big part of what creates romance in your marriage. It also one of the biggest reasons marriages fail as you say because you are harming the romance/the love in your marriage. It's all about the Love Bank. Deposits and withdrawals. Arguing, screaming, independent behaviors, etc. Those are lovebusters and it appears you and your hubby are committing a bunch of them.

Me: 57 Her: 54
M: 31 years
Kids(DS23, DD20, DS18)
125 #2880458 04/28/16 08:41 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
Thank you Melodylane.
I have read through the site over and over,and have listened to podcast's that all say communication is the number one reason why relationships fail.

That is not what Dr Harley says at all. He says falling out of love is the number one reason marriages fail. "Communication" is not a problem when the couple is in love. So he focuses all of his attention on creating romantic love. Please read the article I posted, excerpt here:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
Restoring Love versus Resolving Conflicts

Before I discuss with you some of the details of a well-conceived plan to resolve conflicts and restore your love for each other, I will focus attention on the highest priority of such a plan -- restoring love.

I know of no marriage, including my own, that is free of conflict. That's because every couple is made up of two distinctly different people, with different experiences, interests and emotional predispositions. Regardless of the compatibility a couple creates in marriage, a husband and wife will always have somewhat different perspectives, and those differences will create conflict. Conflicts over money, careers, in-laws, sex, child rearing, and a host of other common marital issues are part of the experience of being married.

Some couples feel that if they could only rid themselves of certain conflicts, they would be happy together. But I've discovered that marriages can be terrific in spite of conflicts, even when some of them are never fully resolved. The difference between couples who live in marital bliss and those who regret ever having met each other is not found in whether or not they are free of conflict -- it's found in whether or not they are in love with each other.

From my years of experience trying to save marriages, I have come to the conclusion that the goal of restoring and sustaining love in marriage is much more important than the goal of resolving conflicts. Ultimately, of course, both goals are important, but by making love my highest priority, I found myself rejecting many popular approaches to conflict resolution because they tend to sacrifice a couple's love for each other. The way I now encourage couples to resolve their conflicts is to only use procedures that will also build their love.

Most marriage counselors are so focused on conflict resolution that they forget about building a couple's love for each other. But it's easy to understand why they tend to ignore the feelings of love -- the couples they see usually want help in resolving their conflicts, not restoring their love. It's the couples themselves that usually fail to see the importance of being in love. And when the loss of love really is the issue, couples rarely believe it can be restored, at least to the level it once was. They think that if their conflicts are resolved, and they are given the freedom to create independent lifestyles, they will be able to survive their marriage. They feel that all marriages eventually lose passion, but when that happens a husband and wife can still remain married if they are "mature" enough.

If you have seen a marriage counselor, and have been disappointed with the results, it's probably because you've spent all of your time trying to resolve your marital conflicts instead of restoring your love for each other. Even if you made progress in resolving some of your conflicts, you still may have been unhappy with your marriage. I receive letters regularly from those who find that they want to divorce in spite of a peaceful relationship. Even when a husband and wife are each other's best friends, they often divorce when the passion is gone.

The problem you describe in your post is that you are fighting with each other. So that is where you would want to begin. Fighting has to be eliminated in order to even begin to repair your marriage.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2880459 04/28/16 08:42 AM
M
M
Posting again:

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Hi 125, welcome to Marriage Builders. Yes, the program does work. The goal of the program is to help you fall in love again. This is done by eliminating behavior that causes you to fall out of love and employing behavior that creates romantic love. Rarely is "communication" the main problem. Couples who are in love have no trouble communicating.

I would suggest reading hte articles and then getting the books Lovebusters and His Needs, Her Needs. There is also a workbook called Five Steps to Romantic Love that has all the worksheets.

Here is a good start: How to Create Your Own Plan to Resolve Conflicts and Restore Love to Your Marriage

And then go to the first thread in this forum and read through all the links. It will be very helpful.

Exposure 101

125 #2880462 04/28/16 09:16 AM
U
U
Originally Posted by 125
We were both angry, I went somewhere where he told me not to go, and did not think it would be that big of a deal because to me his reasoning was silly. I do not ever want to feel that again,he left the house for several nights and would not return my calls.

You committed an Independent Behavior, with complete disregard for his concern or feelings. You then committed a Disrespectful Judgement by deciding that his perspective was 'silly' and your own perspective was superior. He then left the house for several days, spending several nights apart which Dr Harley advises against because it is destructive to marriages.

The Marriage Builder's program absolutely applies to you, and it could transform your marriage.

living_well #2880469 04/28/16 09:51 AM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
living_well Yes,I know where he was and do have access if needed.I also got notification that the alarm was disabled at the office and he did text me to tell me where he was,he left after the kids where asleep and was home before they woke up.I would never think him to have an affair,its just not in his nature and jealousy has never been a part of our marriage.

MelodyLane #2880470 04/28/16 09:53 AM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
MelodyLane, thank you this is very helpful and exactly what we need.

125 #2880473 04/28/16 09:58 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
MelodyLane, thank you this is very helpful and exactly what we need.

You are very welcome! Another great resource is his daily radio show. You can download the app for your phone and listen every day.

Exposure 101

125 #2880477 04/28/16 10:06 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by 125
living_well Yes,I know where he was and do have access if needed.I also got notification that the alarm was disabled at the office and he did text me to tell me where he was,he left after the kids where asleep and was home before they woke up.I would never think him to have an affair,its just not in his nature and jealousy has never been a part of our marriage.

Everyone says that their husband would never have an affair. But having a fight, disappearing and not answering the phone is classic affair behavior (you justify your departure by making life unpleasant before 'storming out'). That is not proof that your husband is having an affair, it means that you need to be alert. Do not say anything to him, just quietly check his phone/text/emails periodically.

In the meantime, stop fighting and learn to negotiate.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
living_well #2880479 04/28/16 10:12 AM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the insight,and again not in his nature. I knew where he was,I actually had his phone last night where he gave it to me to see a photo of a painting he did. I looked through other photos and he got messages while I was on it and I did not see anything out of the normal.

Does anyone know if these books can be found in audio form,its the only way I would be able to get my hubby to read.

125 #2880483 04/28/16 10:33 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
Thanks for the insight,and again not in his nature. I knew where he was,I actually had his phone last night where he gave it to me to see a photo of a painting he did. I looked through other photos and he got messages while I was on it and I did not see anything out of the normal.

Does anyone know if these books can be found in audio form,its the only way I would be able to get my hubby to read.

The home study program has CDs and a lesson plan but it is more expensive than just using the books. http://marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi9000_program2.html

Exposure 101

125 #2880486 04/28/16 10:39 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
Thanks for the insight,and again not in his nature.

125, I just want to caution you about this kind of thinking. I am not saying he is having an affair, but saying it is not in his nature means you don't understand the risk. Your marriage is very much at high risk right now because of your fighting, which absolutely erodes the love in your marriage. Almost EVERY betrayed spouse who discovers an affair tells us it is "out of character" for her spouse. They often show up here completely clueless about the affair or in shock because they just discovered one. Those who believe their marriage is immune are very high risk because they don't take precautions.

Exposure 101

125 #2880495 04/28/16 10:53 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by 125
living_well I would never think him to have an affair,its just not in his nature and jealousy has never been a part of our marriage.
D you think that any betrayed spouse thought that their spouse would have an affair?

Do you think we would have married them if we thought they would?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
125 #2880569 04/28/16 05:53 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by 125
I went somewhere where he told me not to go, and did not think it would be that big of a deal ...he left the house for several nights and would not return my calls.

Where did you go that made him so mad that he left for several nights and would not answer your calls? Is that normally in his nature?

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

pokerface #2880574 04/28/16 06:21 PM
125 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes,of course there are those times when a spouse cheats and it sucks when it happens,I was cheated on before and it was a feeling of hurt and betrayal that I would not wish on anyone.With my husband after many years together I have no reason to think he would,he simply does not have the time and is that the type of person that will tell you straight up what you may or may not need to know.

Pokerface,I was on a trip with my mom for a sports event in San Diego,we had the option of a 6 hour layover in Vegas.I have never been and my husband is very against the place,he told me you are not going there and I mean it.Well my mom payed for the flight and it was the best flight she could find last minute.We went and spent a few hours on the strip and had lunch.I did not think about it and when I got home I showed him the photos and he blew up,he told me not to go and that lied to him by going.In my defense,I have always wanted to go and he is to hard headed to listen to what I have to say,when he gets something in his head there is no reasoning with him. We have talked it over and he said he was upset because I deliberately went behind his back and did what he told me not to do.Yes,I did do that but, was I really in the wrong.

125 #2880576 04/28/16 06:24 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by 125
Pokerface,I was on a trip with my mom for a sports event in San Diego,we had the option of a 6 hour layover in Vegas.I have never been and my husband is very against the place,he told me you are not going there and I mean it.Well my mom payed for the flight and it was the best flight she could find last minute.We went and spent a few hours on the strip and had lunch.I did not think about it and when I got home I showed him the photos and he blew up,he told me not to go and that lied to him by going.In my defense,I have always wanted to go and he is to hard headed to listen to what I have to say,when he gets something in his head there is no reasoning with him. We have talked it over and he said he was upset because I deliberately went behind his back and did what he told me not to do.Yes,I did do that but, was I really in the wrong.

Of course you were in the wrong. You completely disrespected his feelings and just demonstrated to him how little you value him. Was it worth upsetting him like that?

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
4 members (SadNewYorker, 3 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation