Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
So Dr. Harley never WROTE IN HIS BOOKS against having pre-marital sex, nor did he write to have pre-marital sex.

Yet he lists sexual compatibility as important as intellectual compatibility in a SCIENCE based book about dating...

I don't care what Dr. Harley's PERSONAL beliefs are, I am only interested in his SCIENTIFIC beliefs.
(His personal believes also includes a mythical being in heaven that is not mentioned in any of his books and is irrelevant)

I recently found the scientific statistics on sex in my country:

- 43% of sexually active women report at least 1 sexual problem
- 35% of sexually active men report at least 1 sexual problem
- 22% of sexually active women report sexual DYSFUNCTION
- 12% of sexually active men report sexual DYSFUNCTION

==> Sexual dysfunction cannot be tested by doing leisure activities to compare energy levels, Markos

- People under 25 have their first sexual intercourse:

Before age 14: 14,5%
Between age 14 & 17: 74.5%
After age 17: 11%
==> Marriage is illegal here before 18
==> at least 89% of people in my country have pre-marital sex.

- 40% of the Christian/Catholic believers have pre-marital sex.

- I have never had an STD in my life, Melody.
Something in your theory about "hoe's must have a disease" does not seem to fit.

M
M
Originally Posted by geroldmodel
I don't care what Dr. Harley's PERSONAL beliefs are, I am only interested in his SCIENTIFIC beliefs.

The radio shows I posted describe Dr. Harley's scientific beliefs.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
==> Sexual dysfunction cannot be tested by doing leisure activities to compare energy levels, Markos

What do you believe Dr. Harley is saying in that article excerpt you posted? Do you believe he is suggesting that people have sex before marriage to test sexual compatibility?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Hi Gerold,

Why are you arguing about this? You'll probably continue to have sex outside of wedlock. But not having premarital sex does serve a purpose besides a religious one--helping to have sober judgment.

I had premarital sex and it clouded my judgement of my ex. He is just kind of a freeloader at life--renter at best. I supported us 4 out of the 4.5 years we were married before he started his affair. He just didn't work, he was "working on his writing" and whatever. In the many years that I knew him he never published or even self-published a single thing. He will probably never be an author.

If I had really perceived these things well before I married him...well, I would not have married him. I won't ever have pre-marital sex again. It would attach me to a potential mate and cloud my judgement.

There are women everywhere who will wait. Even non-religious dating experts often recommend waiting until engagement (I think this is arbitrary and it should be marriage, but the thinking is clear--wait until you know think there is some sort of commitment).

The reason you are arguing now is that you are falling in love with this woman and you want her to want the same thing you do. But she doesn't. So now there is pain. But face the reality that she doesn't want the same thing. You can do what a lot of people do, which is just to carry on as long as possible until there is an inevitable implosion OR you can admit this was a mistake and move on to find a relationship with a buyer. Waiting to have sex will help you with an endeavor.

Last edited by PigletWiglet; 08/29/16 02:16 PM.

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
M
M
So Dr. Harley never WROTE IN HIS BOOKS against having pre-marital sex, nor did he write to have pre-marital sex.

Not sure, but he makes it very clear he is against pre-marital sex. If you knew him and listened to his radio shows you would know this.

- I have never had an STD in my life, Melody.
Something in your theory about "hoe's must have a disease" does not seem to fit.

How do you think people get STDs? By being promiscuous. If you sleep around like an alley cat in heat, you are very likely to get an STD. Why would you risk that?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
My female friends say that no single woman will ever claim she wants anything more than a fling at first. Because if she does, it means she will be easy... and no woman wants to appear easy.
Having been a single woman, I can tell you that's bull. And only easy girls say stuff like that.

ITA that's bull. I am a single woman myself and have several single friends and have never heard of a woman saying she only wants a fling.

The only people I have seen say things like that are disgusting people on Tinder.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
L
L
Dr. Harley has said in several radio programs that he advises against premarital sex in general, even for folks who aren't religious,because it can indeed cloud the relationship.

Many women who engage in non-marital sex with a man tend to become more emotionally attached, while men can often have sex without attachment. She develops expectations for the relationship and is often hurt when the relationship falls apart.

I've heard men say they would want to "test" the sexual compatibility before marrying, but many quality women would find this repugnant - the idea of testing a woman's sexuality as though she were a used car. YUCK!

Most women who are in love with their husband will be sexually compatible with their husband. And either spouse can learn techniques to become a good sexual partner.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
T
T
I know this is slightly old now but I have some things to say. I've been coming in and out of marriage builders for some time. I keep coming back because it is without doubt the best advice I've found over the years.

I'm too not Christian like this poster but I still greatly appreciate Dr Harley's work.

I am 41, very attractive with most men rating me as an 8-10 in attractive stakes (even if that is pretty crude), I'm intelligent (studying as a mature student for a degree), I work, I am funny, loyal, kind, passionate, loving and from Europe!

...and I wouldn't date this poster. Gerold if you would like to find out why please ask me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 335 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation