Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Barigirl
Please note...the car story is an analogy only. H uses analogies a lot. Sometimes they help me to understand what he is saying, sometimes not. Whatever, the car story is not a real thing.

Don't worry about it, BG. The problem is that we need to teach your husband some things about how to avoid love busting you, and he's missing a lot of it because he's busy trying to teach us. We see this problem a lot, here. smile

To be specific, we want to help him understand why disrespectful things he says to you are hurtful - but he wants to explain why you shouldn't feel hurt by the things he said. Do you see that problem frequently?

Yes, Markos, I do see that problem frequently. On our radio show, I stated that H uses a lot of words. What I find happens with his use of a lot of words is that he almost debates with himself, saying (IMO) conflicting views/ideas/thoughts so that when he wraps up, I am unsure just what he has actually said, feels, thinks, etc.

H is recognizing that his communication style needs work as he sees/feels that the forum is misunderstanding him as well. We talked about this and have determined that we need to work on being sure we understand what the other is saying.

That being said, however, I feel this is an interim fix, because H's style of communication is causing LB's to me.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
7 children, 6 adults, last DS 17
M
M
That's a really common problem, Barigirl. I used to do it to Prisca frequently.

You guys should definitely do what Dr. Harley suggests in Love Busters: give each other a worksheet every week listing things the other did or said that you found demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

When he gets your worksheet he should read it and use that information to learn how to avoid doing the things that you find to be demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

He should not debate the worksheet with you. If he has any questions about why something was disrespectful to you he can ask us or Dr. Harley for help, but he should not come back and explain to you why he thinks something was not a love buster. If he does, put that down as a Disrespectful Judgment on the worksheet for next week.

The goal is for him to get through a week with an empty worksheet. If he can't accomplish that goal in a month Dr. Harley usually suggests that professional help is needed. Since you're in email contact with him he may have more specific suggestions for you if that happens - mention it to him.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by markos
That's a really common problem, Barigirl. I used to do it to Prisca frequently.

You guys should definitely do what Dr. Harley suggests in Love Busters: give each other a worksheet every week listing things the other did or said that you found demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

When he gets your worksheet he should read it and use that information to learn how to avoid doing the things that you find to be demanding, disrespectful, or angry.

He should not debate the worksheet with you. If he has any questions about why something was disrespectful to you he can ask us or Dr. Harley for help, but he should not come back and explain to you why he thinks something was not a love buster. If he does, put that down as a Disrespectful Judgment on the worksheet for next week.

The goal is for him to get through a week with an empty worksheet. If he can't accomplish that goal in a month Dr. Harley usually suggests that professional help is needed. Since you're in email contact with him he may have more specific suggestions for you if that happens - mention it to him.

Thanks Markos. We will be doing this.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
S
S
We are also planning to do the 12 week course in the HWSW workbook on Dr. Harley's recommendation.
I think that it would be a serious mistake for you not to do the full, 1 year accountability online course, where you will be assigned an MB coach, and you will have direct contact with Dr Harley. You two absolutely CANNOT do the course on your own. You need guidance.

It seems that Dr Harley never recommends the online course directly, because he is loathe to encourage people to buy his services. He gives away books when people are on the radio show, and he emails people without charge, for as long as they need help. His recommendation of the free Home Study course is in line with his philosophy of not putting pressure on people to buy his products.

However, if you want the best home study course that you can get, you will pay for the online course that costs about $1000. For the amount of help you'll get from your coach, with direct access to Dr Harley via the private forum here on this website for the rest of your lives, this sum is peanuts. I don't understand how Dr Harley provides this service for such a reasonable amount.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane
We are also planning to do the 12 week course in the HWSW workbook on Dr. Harley's recommendation.
I think that it would be a serious mistake for you not to do the full, 1 year accountability online course, where you will be assigned an MB coach, and you will have direct contact with Dr Harley. You two absolutely CANNOT do the course on your own. You need guidance.

It seems that Dr Harley never recommends the online course directly, because he is loathe to encourage people to buy his services. He gives away books when people are on the radio show, and he emails people without charge, for as long as they need help. His recommendation of the free Home Study course is in line with his philosophy of not putting pressure on people to buy his products.

However, if you want the best home study course that you can get, you will pay for the online course that costs about $1000. For the amount of help you'll get from your coach, with direct access to Dr Harley via the private forum here on this website for the rest of your lives, this sum is peanuts. I don't understand how Dr Harley provides this service for such a reasonable amount.

Thank you SugarCane. I am aware of this course and its cost. I have no problem doing it if we need it and H is on board as well.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
We are back from our extended vacation. The last couple of weeks were lovely.

I want to thank you all for being there for us. We have much work ahead of us but I feel we are still moving forward.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
The last couple of weeks were lovely.
So he didn't love bust you the last couple of weeks?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
The last couple of weeks were lovely.
So he didn't love bust you the last couple of weeks?

He did love bust a bit, yes. but he is learning. He listens to the radio show every day and has access to the Archives as well.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Is it common to swing between hope and despair from day to day?

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
U
U
A bad marriage causes a lot of mental anguish, particularly for women.

You recently posted that you would consider the accountability program 'if you need it.' I personally think you needed it in January when you got here, would you agree? What is indicating to you, when you have been here for months and still feel this way, that you don't need it?

B
B
Originally Posted by unwritten

You recently posted that you would consider the accountability program 'if you need it.' I personally think you needed it in January when you got here, would you agree? What is indicating to you, when you have been here for months and still feel this way, that you don't need it?
Barigirl, did you and your H decide to start the program?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by unwritten

Barigirl, did you and your H decide to start the program?

We are working our way through the HWSW workbook course. We are halfway through.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
How are you doing?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
OP Offline
B
How are you doing?

Really well. H is taking the lead with our scheduling of UA and time for the course. Deposits are being made. Withdrawals have declined immensely.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Just wanted to post an update. We are doing well. Getting lots of UA time and re-filling lovebanks. I want to thank you all and the MB program for helping us.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
N
N
Thanks for the great update, I've been rooting for you!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
M
M
Just wanted to post an update. We are doing well. Getting lots of UA time and re-filling lovebanks. I want to thank you all and the MB program for helping us.

yeah!!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
I am having trouble understanding how the radio archives work. In the MB Radio app, I added several clips to the �playlist� but now cannot figure out where this playlist is. When I look at �edit playlist�, nothing is there. When I click �start playlist�, nothing happens.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
M
M
Which app are you using, iPhone or Android? Do you have an account for the archives?

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by mrEureka
Which app are you using, iPhone or Android? Do you have an account for the archives?

I use apple and yes, I have a subsciption to the archives,

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,190 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation