Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Mikery Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My wife of 30 years left me before Thanksgiving - one week after a big family argument (which I caused and I yelled at her) on her 60th birthday. She left a week later when she knew I would be away for 2 hours. She also quit her receptionist job and is living with my daughter in an old 1 bedroom apartment 100 miles away (she also visited her 2 different sisters out of state during that time). She now has sued me for a legal separation. I have not received any direct communication from her. She refuses to talk to me.

She has changed her cell phone number and made no contact since. She says I am too Controlling and I am a Mental Abuser and a Manipulator and she can't take it any more after many years. I am 57 and retired and have some anger issues related to my ADHD.

A marriage counselor that I was working with had me write her a very nice letter in December where I blamed myself and asked for forgiveness and marriage counseling. She did not respond to me but told my youngest son that she has not loved me for years and she only stayed with me to get my 3 children through college (both of my sons graduated in May and they all have very good jobs and they don't need me anymore). The marriage counselor e-mailed her before Christmas and offered to provide counseling for us but she refused it in an e-mail. She stated that she was done with the relationship and wanted to move on with her life. My 25 year old daughter says that my wife will never come back to me again. My wife is a very religious Catholic and we have not had any divorce in either family backgrounds. I have also gone back to church as many of us do.

I have violated most of the LOVE BUSTERS identified in the Marriage Builders Articles. I took our marriage and relationship for granted for many years and we have lost our connections since the kids are now gone.

I don't want a divorce. Does anyone have any advice of how to get her to start communicating with me again without lawyers involved? I need a way to break the ice of no communication.

Mikery
M
M
HI Mikery, welcome to Marriage Builders. The only advice I can think of would be to recommend anger management courses. What have you done to correct that problem?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
Mikery Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi Melody,

Thanks for your comment. I gone through some counseling where the counselor has worked with me on anger management. I will look into courses.

Do you have any recommendations about "Breaking the Ice" to start communications?

Mikery
M
M
Originally Posted by Mikery
Hi Melody,

Thanks for your comment. I gone through some counseling where the counselor has worked with me on anger management. I will look into courses.

Do you have any recommendations about "Breaking the Ice" to start communications?

No, I really don't have anything beyond what you have done but we would have recommended that your wife have nothing to do with you until you had gone for at least a year without any angry outbursts.

Have you SOLVED your anger issues? What new steps have you taken to cure your anger issues? When was your last angry outburst?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 986 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation