Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
abrrba Offline OP
OP Offline
A
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ng-on-your-partner/ss-BBDMCYV?li=BBnb7Kz

I saw this article on MSN, and rather than a serious article about the destruction that affairs cause, it reads more like a how-to article. I don't offend easily, but coupled with photos of happy waywards and the "playful tone" used in a few places ("Ripped a shirt off in the heat of the moment? Stained a shirt collar with lipstick?"), this article really ticks me off.

As a BS I'm more sensitive to this than the typical reader of the article, but seriously, what kind of amoral people write and publish this garbage?

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
D-day, plan A, & exposure Jan 2017
Divorced Nov 2017
I
I
It's so cute when a newly BS starts to notice this stuff. You're going to put a favourite movie on one of these days and get the shock of your life!

Ask Melody Lane what she thinks of the Bridges of Madison County!
rotflmao

I can't watch An Affair To Remember anymore. Bette Davis fooled me. How?! The WORD is in the TITLE.

I can watch Gone with the Wind though. I think it's because Rhett Butler is a kickass BH and there is actual fog! Which Scarlet comes out of. This tickles me.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

N
N
That�s sick. It really is a how-to disguised as a warning. Adulterers suck, and so do those who support them.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
C
C
You can't escape these things! Even as someone who, with four kids, pretty much only watches children's movies, I was astonished that the Lego Ninjago movie from a few months ago reduced one of my sons to tears. The storyline was: evil egomaniac dad chooses to leave wife and baby in order to pursue a selfish life of excitement and ambition for world domination.....it struck a chord.....

BW (me) 40
WH, serial cheater, 41
Four children:
DS1 8
DS2 7 (from one of WH's previous affairs, lives with me)
DS3 6
DD 2

D-day Jan 4 2017
Plan B (first attempt) Feb 21 2017
Plan D Aug 28 2017
Plan B (properly) Aug 31 2017

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs - and blaming it on you....or being lied about don't deal in lies..." IF, by Rudyard Kipling https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/46473
A
abrrba Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by indiegirl
It's so cute when a newly BS starts to notice this stuff. You're going to put a favourite movie on one of these days and get the shock of your life!

Ask Melody Lane what she thinks of the Bridges of Madison County!
rotflmao

I started noticing it right after D-day (1 year anniversary of D-day this Sunday), it's everywhere. I can also tell that my kids notice it much more now, when we're watching TV or a movie. DS just made a comment yesterday while I was watching Walking Dead with him, that a certain character was a loser. "Why do you say that?" "Because she was cheating on Rick [her husband] with Shane [Rick's best friend]."

I can't watch An Affair To Remember anymore. Bette Davis fooled me. How?! The WORD is in the TITLE.

I can watch Gone with the Wind though. I think it's because Rhett Butler is a kickass BH and there is actual fog! Which Scarlet comes out of. This tickles me.

Speaking of Rhett Butler, I watched Boom Town with Clark Gable on Sunday, and his character cheats on his loving wife (played by Claudette Colbert) with his secretary (played by Hedy Lamarr). Makes me sick!

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
Divorced Nov 2017
A
abrrba Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by nmwb77
That�s sick. It really is a how-to disguised as a warning. Adulterers suck, and so do those who support them.

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't imagining it, it really is an adultery how-to. The author made sure to include the obligatory "We're not judging". God forbid they "judge" someone for despicable and disgusting behavior. puke

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
Divorced Nov 2017
A
abrrba Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by chalkncheese
You can't escape these things! Even as someone who, with four kids, pretty much only watches children's movies, I was astonished that the Lego Ninjago movie from a few months ago reduced one of my sons to tears. The storyline was: evil egomaniac dad chooses to leave wife and baby in order to pursue a selfish life of excitement and ambition for world domination.....it struck a chord.....

I'm sorry that the movie caused your son pain. frown

The only upside to all this is that our children have learned very valuable life lessons, which should protect them in the future. But a curse on selfish waywards for putting our children through such pain! rant2

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
Divorced Nov 2017
U
U
Originally Posted by abrrba
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ng-on-your-partner/ss-BBDMCYV?li=BBnb7Kz

I saw this article on MSN, and rather than a serious article about the destruction that affairs cause, it reads more like a how-to article. I don't offend easily, but coupled with photos of happy waywards and the "playful tone" used in a few places ("Ripped a shirt off in the heat of the moment? Stained a shirt collar with lipstick?"), this article really ticks me off.

As a BS I'm more sensitive to this than the typical reader of the article, but seriously, what kind of amoral people write and publish this garbage?

You will be ultra sensitive to it for awhile, but that will fade.

I think it is crazy how this article focuses on the cost of a trip or gift, but not the cost of ruining your life and the lives of your family members. Um, pretty sure the latter is the greater cost crazy

I
I
Originally Posted by unwritten

Mmmm, it's faded for me too, actually. Although I wonder how much of that is healing and how much is auto avoidance. I'm careful these days about what I watch and I didn't clink on the link which began this thread. I knew exactly the type of article it was just from the description and I hate triggers. But when I accidentally stumble on something these days, it's mostly okay which always surprises me.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

J
J
I had to chuckle when I saw the mention of The Bridges of Madison County. Prior to D-Day, I stupidly thought it was a beautiful love story.

Flipping through channels a few months after finding MB, I caught a few minutes of it and all I could think is "Wow, what a bunch of fog babble!"

Our 5th anniversary of D-Day is coming up and we're now in a recovered marriage, so my sensitivity has faded as well. But I also avoid stuff like this whenever I can...I didn't click on the link that began this thread either. I knew it would be a trigger.

M
M
Originally Posted by JenDee
I had to chuckle when I saw the mention of The Bridges of Madison County. Prior to D-Day, I stupidly thought it was a beautiful love story.

I once loved that movie until I became enlightened! It is so disgusting! My mother was telling my aunt once that she didn't like Clint Eastwood movies except Bridges of Madison County. So my aunt asked what it was about and I filled her in alright!! When I got done my poor aunt was horrified! grin

p.s. my mother was an OW so I am not surprised she likes that disgraceful movie.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
We get a kick out of watching movies and TV and saying "See; the script writers sure sound like they have a wayward viewpoint there, don't they?" (And occasionally noticing the opposite.)

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
A
abrrba Offline OP
OP Offline
A

That is certainly the case for me right now, hopefully it will fade for me, too. I should also practice the auto-avoidance mentioned by a few of you. Maybe the A is still so relatively recent for me that I'm not yet smart enough to practice auto-avoidance. crazy

I think it is crazy how this article focuses on the cost of a trip or gift, but not the cost of ruining your life and the lives of your family members. Um, pretty sure the latter is the greater cost crazy

Exactly! Honestly, I would have gladly paid any amount of money if it would have avoided the destruction of my family, and the pain WW caused the kids and me. There's no price tag that can match that cost!

Last edited by abrrba; 01/11/18 02:49 PM.

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
Divorced Nov 2017
U
U
Originally Posted by abrrba
That is certainly the case for me right now, hopefully it will fade for me, too. I should also practice the auto-avoidance mentioned by a few of you. Maybe the A is still so relatively recent for me that I'm not yet smart enough to practice auto-avoidance. crazy

I would suggest practicing avoidance of any and all triggers.

Dr Harley has 'avoidance' in much of his plans, avoiding talking about the affair, avoiding triggers, and similarly, avoiding anything to do with WS in a Plan B. Out of sight of of mind is the theory. And it works! Initially I avoided many movies, many songs, not even triggers but love songs that made me feel bad given the situation, places, anything to do with my own wedding. I avoided anything that made me feel BAD and replaced it with things that made me feel GOOD. It is so therapeutic.

Talk therapy and the social norm to rehash tragic things is ridiculously ignorant. People view 'avoidance' as a bad thing, my mom for instance likens it to 'keeping things bottled up inside'. I can only say from personal experience that it is the constant dwelling on pain that damages you, not the opposite.

L
L
Talk therapy and the social norm to rehash tragic things is ridiculously ignorant. People view 'avoidance' as a bad thing, my mom for instance likens it to 'keeping things bottled up inside'. I can only say from personal experience that it is the constant dwelling on pain that damages you, not the opposite.

I so agree with this. My parents were of the generation that went through WW2. My father fought in the war was wounded in the Normandy landings. My mother listened every night to bombs dropping over London as a teenager. Her best friend's parents were shot by the Gestapo for helping Jews to escape Belgium when she was 12.

You can go on and on with these stories but they all have a common ending. In every case the people went on to have normal successful lives and they did it by looking forwards not backwards. None of them ever mentioned the war.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
P
P
There's definitely something to what you're saying, Living_well. I've noticed the same pattern with my grandparents, but I never connected the dots, so to speak. They were a 'tougher' generation than us, that's for sure.

I trust Hostimonials because it's the best.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation