Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3005148 07/11/18 02:48 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi to everyone. smile
I just love this forum and Dr Harley- I wish I would have found him years ago.
I have read all of his books now- been reading on the forum and thought I would make a post.

I am in my 3rd marriage.... but working on leaving him. I wish it was easier to leave but I feel better that I have a plan.

My first ended from a tragic car accident (wish he was still here) My oldest 2 kids are from this marriage.(Boy 17; Girl 14)

My second from his infidelity (when I found his secret email account, I told everyone on earth and flung him from the house without even knowing about exposure or plan b) We had my youngest child together. ( Girl 8) I was not interested in reconciliation or anything- I stopped reading at the 200th woman he was emailing.

I was in a better financial place then & working out logistics to leaving This Husband has been harder.

He did the proverbial- be a saint, wonderful while dating and lied to me like crazy and thought when we married I would stay if he didn�t cheat & was kind financially.
My kids hate him, he hates them and honestly I hate him. The lies he told me before marriage are not forgivable and if known I would have NEVER married him- he knew it and so I will not give him a chance at all at this point.

(Even though at the beginning I did nicely tell him I was not happy but his response was � if you were a better person then we wouldn�t have problems, I�m not changing for a dog so either deal or get the ****** out. ) So I�m getting out. And yes, I am the dog- it�s his favorite name to call me when he is upset.

I am here for a community�s that understands where I am coming from and to continue to learn as I never ever want to go through this again if possible! I�m utterly amazed that I am here again facing divorce and all of it is hard!

So while I prepare to leave- any ways to survive living with him?

Ps:
And my girls love My little pony and FlutterShy has the butterfly�s cutie mark so has always been my fav smile

Last edited by FlutterShy; 07/11/18 02:49 PM.

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable
M
M
Hello, FlutterShy, and welcome to Marriage Builders.

As far as how to survive until you get out, I suggest hastening getting him out as soon as possible. Can your lawyer get you legally separated and force him out?

I am here for a community�s that understands where I am coming from and to continue to learn as I never ever want to go through this again if possible

Be sure to get the Marriage Builders app and start listening to Dr. Harley's radio show every day. An hour "class" every day, over a period of years, can work wonders. It did for me.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
What lies did your husband tell you before marriage?

Has he engaged in any of these Love Busters since you got married?
Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgments
Angry Outbursts
Independent Behavior (doing what he wants whether you like it or not)
Dishonesty
Annoying Habits

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F

So, I have talked to my lawyer but he owned the house long before us so I will have to leave. ( no seperation in this state just divorce) so I�ve gone over financials with him & me and kids would need to be out within months -
So, I had to change a huge huge thing in my career.... I�m kinda rebuilding from scratch- it�s going well but I need till Jan to definitely take care of us..... I�m really great with money, have mapped out rentals & have a good budget but don�t want to be rash.... make sense?

Last edited by FlutterShy; 07/11/18 04:29 PM.

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
What lies did your husband tell you before marriage?
Lies: He wanted kids and even had us pick out names all while being sterilized at age 21..... how much he actually hates all kids....
plus an ongoing 10 year impotence issue with 3 other HUGE medical issues he lied about not having. ( so we can�t ever have SF & he isn�t interested in that at all.)
He had debt he didn�t tell me about. He smoked his whole life till 2 years before meeting me & lied about it.
Certain things in his past that I just honestly wouldn�t be ok with being with someone who engaged in.

Has he engaged in any of these Love Busters since you got married?
Selfish Demands
Disrespectful Judgments
Angry Outbursts
Independent Behavior (doing what he wants whether you like it or not)
Dishonesty
Annoying Habits

All the above in spades- the disrespectful judgements against everyone is crazy... he can�t speak to me without being mean, name calling, angry silent treatments etc. He always does what he wants (IB) Annoys me constantly- the more he finds something annoys me ... he tries to do it more so he can laugh at me.

I�ll try to listen to the radio show then... thank you.

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable
I
I
Flutter, that is a really pathological level of lying. I appreciate you need some form of shelter and support but I would not pause where you are any longer than necessary. This type of contempt is honestly quite dangerous. So you need to leave the house, but surely your husband would have to pay for your support during the transition? What did your lawyer say to this? I would also try calling a women's shelter as they often have excellent advice on leaving an abusing relationship.

It's funny that he openly calls you 'dog'; when I was married to a pathological liar, I often felt that is how I was considered by him. I would often think to myself 'he treats me like I am the dog!' when he made unilateral decisions, withheld information, hand waved my preferences away. I knew I was his pet without him ever using those words. When a highly secretive and selfish person has a partner, they are only capable of doing so by treating it as convenient companionship similar to what a pet would provide. I actually heard a male co-worker once complain that his wife was not as uncomplaining as his dog....which....yeah. A fun type of misogyny.

Depend upon one fact: you do not know everything about the money. You do not know how he spends it, what he's earned, what bills he leaves unpaid, what he's borrowed or what he has stashed away unless you've seen written evidence with your own eyes. This is where I would snoop and it could very possibly pay for your freedom.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you for chiming in Indiegirl..... please don�t stop smile.
You felt like a pet too! I 100 % believe he would treat a dog better than me.

So, I have talked to my lawyer. He is really amazing. It�s a marriage of a year, and he doesn�t waste time so with no kids, no assets together etc, I would file... and he would have to pay for 3 months of our life & in 90 days we would be divorced where I would then be on my own. We even have the divorce papers ready!!! smile. I would have to stand on my own feet by then.... so this is my dilemma. With 3 kids, not possible yet.

I make the most money From now till end of the year and need this time to focus on working.....I make $500 a month till January & then if I�ve done my job, I will make 3k a month and more a month from then on.... I can�t go anywhere with 3 kids for 500 a month!
Reading Dr H views on planning has helped give me a goal & at least right now I barely see my H. Still really difficult. Any words of advise on how to act would be helpful.

I have always helped out with the head of our domestic shelter here & they don�t consider him �abusive�so I can�t get help there. And she has tried.

Her advise was not to tell truth of my plans to leave as its to dangerous & just don�t argue, try to stay away as much as possible from him & play along in a sense while planning my escape asap. He thinks I�ve learned my place now as I don�t try anymore, don�t complain & let him be. I also have a friend who is helping watch my girls so they aren�t really around him much at all, never alone and are out of his way.

I would not have made this major change in my career if I knew after marrying him he would turn into Mr Hyde!!! I�m kicking myself some but in a year I will be so so much better off because of it.

I have snooped on money. It is strangely the one area he hides nothing now- he wants me to handle all of it & refuses to even look at the bank account. That way Im always the bad guy telling him not to buy anything or if we have an issue it�s always my fault. I think he likes this.

My methods uncovered his other debt. When I did- he came clean. He has never touched a computer in his life & has no access at work and I insisted on spyware on his phone to marrying him from my past. I know he could have a burner but I have looked & see nothing like that anywhere. So not sure what else to do. I really do feel like I have access too and have seen the written evidence of everything financial now. It�s other lies I�m sure he is telling but I don�t give a rip anymore- I just want to be gone!

Reading Dr H books was great as my Christian side was feeling kinda guilty but understanding EN & LB....why we feel these things etc� so eye opening. Sooooooo thankful I found them!!!!!

Oh- if he tried to physically hurt me or kids- I would throw him in jail!!!!

Part of me just doesn�t understand how I couldn�t see this. We dated 2 years, I spoke & knew his family. I even spoke with his ex wife and ex step daughter - his friends, people he worked/s with... church leaders. I keep thinking- how can everyone be so wrong- this man acts mean & is a liar. ( I know people ask, his ex became a drunk & started sleeping around on him which she admits to now that she is sober but he was divorced 7 years before meeting me and I was for a year 1/2)

So miserable!

Last edited by FlutterShy; 07/15/18 12:01 AM.

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable
I
I
Originally Posted by FlutterShy
So, I have talked to my lawyer. He is really amazing. It�s a marriage of a year, and he doesn�t waste time so with no kids, no assets together etc, I would file... and he would have to pay for 3 months of our life & in 90 days we would be divorced where I would then be on my own. We even have the divorce papers ready!!! smile. I would have to stand on my own feet by then.... so this is my dilemma. With 3 kids, not possible yet.

Ok got it.

I make the most money From now till end of the year and need this time to focus on working.....I make $500 a month till January & then if I�ve done my job, I will make 3k a month and more a month from then on.... I can�t go anywhere with 3 kids for 500 a month!
Reading Dr H views on planning has helped give me a goal & at least right now I barely see my H. Still really difficult. Any words of advise on how to act would be helpful.

January?! Ridiculous. You'll be a mess by then.

Is what you make less than minimum? Do you get help from the state if so?

I
I
Part of me just doesn�t understand how I couldn�t see this. We dated 2 years, I spoke & knew his family. I even spoke with his ex wife and ex step daughter - his friends, people he worked/s with... church leaders. I keep thinking- how can everyone be so wrong- this man acts mean & is a liar. ( I know people ask, his ex became a drunk & started sleeping around on him which she admits to now that she is sober but he was divorced 7 years before meeting me and I was for a year 1/2) !

It sounds like you did all due diligence and there's nothing further you could have done. A man like this grooms people in a positive way to make sure his wife will never be believed. There was only one woman who could have let you know, but she was either more abusive than he was or had been abused so much that she came to be an unreliable witness. At least you know now and you have the sense to keep a poker face on while you make your plans.

He fancies himself as very clever but a few things you have revealed here show him to be anything but. You'll be victorious here.

F
OP Offline
F
I am still here. I checked into help but I don�t qualify.... lots of specifics to get into my job...

I did speak to my lawyer who suggested us kicking him out- filing mid October as that gives me till mid January for divorce to finish & we could ask for a move out end of Feb since we are already mid Jan. I thought it a brilliant plan.

I just can�t figure out a way to get out sooner. It totally stinks .... but trying to stay the course. He generally pretends I don�t exist or says mean things so trying to stay far away from him.

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable
B
B
Did you ever write to Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
OP Offline
F
No I haven�t. I thought the purpose of the forum was to get others who give his advise.

Things just going day to day..... work, home etc. I wonder why he wants to be married to me at all but oh well....

Countdown of a few months left...

3 kids
3rd Marriage
Have lots to learn
Widow/BW & now miserable

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,097 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation