Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
But it's good news, tell a friend.

I'm sure that many(most?) of you will not recognize me. Unfortunately, I recognize many of the stories here, only the names have changed. For reference, I had an affair that had been over for years, my husband had repeated visits to the strip club complete with lap dances that he tried to tell me were nothing sexual. Quite a mess, I'm sure you'd agree. I found this forum in 2005 when my husband discovered my affair, which had ended some years earlier. Rather than lie, I came clean, which I think was the first step in our long, long, road to recovery. I'm happy to say we will be celebrating out 33rd year of marriage soon. I'm not going to lie and say it's better. But it's not worse. What it is, is different. I am open and honest with my feelings, rather than stewing in my own resentment. My husband is leaving tomorrow to do some work on our new house tomorrow. Two of his friends are meeting him there and I don't have any fears that he and his friends will take a trip to some sleazy strip club. We use the same computers. I don't have any password on my phone, nor does he. We are welcome to look at each other's phones at any time, but the only time that really happens is if I'm driving and telling him to look something up for me on my phone. The trust is back and with good reason. Any time I sensed a male coworker be interested in me, getting too friendly, I shut it down immediately. My ex-affair person tried to contact me a few years ago (isn't the internet wonderful?) but I showed the message to my husband and naturally did not reply. I'd rather undergo spinal surgery without anaesthesia than have another affair.

We got phone counseling and employed many of the MB principles; actually we still do (the principles, not the counseling). I got s BA when I was 20 and used my time to get a BS. Sadly a lot of those courses *were* BS, but that is the way universities operate now. I actually loved my local college experience, it was amazing and it turns out that I have a talent and interest in the subject matter. Too soon old, too late smart, but better late than never.

And now I'll get down to my point (finally!). It is possible to recover from infidelity if you have two people absolutely committed to it and there is genuine love there. You have to change how you're doing things and be open to methods that take some getting used to and that's where MB comes in. We are more open with each other and spend a lot of time together, although to be fair I do lavish attention on 3 other men: my rescue cats. The dog is a girl lol. I volunteer with an animal rescue organization and my husband has done it with me. I read a book written by one of the Paraguayan rugby players who survived a plane crash in the Andes. In the book he says that years later he doesn't waste to e on regret or sorrow on the horrors he endured. It was the life he was chosen to live. In the same way, we don't waste our time on regret and sorrow for what we lost. This is the life we were chosen to live.

G
G
Thank you for sharing this. I have a tough time envisioning what it might be like when the dust settles, so it�s nice to see someone put it into words.

Did you do phone coaching attached to a MB online recovery program or MB your own and the MB phone counseling sessions in addition to?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation