Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3014054 10/21/20 09:18 AM
G
Gms Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello
I am 71 and about to get married. I dearly love my fiancée and I can’t wait until we’re actually married. I do have a problem, in my own mind, about her sexual past. I have recurring thoughts and sometimes images about things she did when she was much younger. She told me a lot about her first boyfriend and that appears to have satisfied my curiosity. I no longer think about him. There are however three other instances about her lovers that pop into my head fairly often. I try very hard to push these thoughts aside but they keep coming back. I have read books about retroactive jealousy but that doesn’t help. I don’t think I’m jealous; I think I’m just curious.
I’m not sure what to do except “suck it up”. I’m wondering if talking about these instances will help take the thoughts away.
Any good advice is appreciated. Please do not tell me not to get married; I love her with my whole heart and soul and I want to marry her.

Gms #3014056 10/21/20 01:14 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Gms
I’m not sure what to do except “suck it up”. I’m wondering if talking about these instances will help take the thoughts away.

Hi GMS, welcome to Marriage Builders. I would definitely not talk about it ever again. Talking about it brings the unpleasantness of the past into the present. [an enemy of good conversation] NOT speaking about it helps it fade into the past. And I am sure it does not help her feelings towards you when you bring it up. Don't hurt your relationship like that. Just drop it and train your mind to think of something else when it comes up. Your logic needs to override your warped emotions. You learned to do this when you transitioned from a teenager to an adult. I would just call on your powers of logic to overcome incorrect thoughts.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation