Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3015116 04/12/21 07:34 PM
C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello. I am a newbie to the forum but have read the basic concepts and am thoroughly impressed with what all this website shows to offer. I’m making this post as I’m looking for other people that may have had similar type experiences whether successful or not. I’m also looking for kind but honest opinions on the matter.

I am husband/father currently going through divorce proceedings. 6 months in the process with a final mediation scheduled for the latter part next month. If the mediation doesn’t work out I’m afraid it’s off to trial. Brief background. I’m against divorce. My wife filed. We have a son whom is just over 2 years of age. To the best of my knowledge there was not infidelity in our marriage...what has led to this predicament was excessive arguing, ultimately regarding finances/spending. Things were said from both sides, out of anger, that shouldn’t have been said. My spouse would not agree to try couples therapy but only that I should go. I did go to therapy and still go to this day. We no longer live under the same roof, we’re each in our own place. Per our temp orders we’re currently under an extended SPO. I am pursuing 50/50 custody. I was and still am an extremely active and involved father but not as active as I’d like to be due to the SPO (which I’ll never understand why they start at that and not 50/50 but that’s a whole other post). My spouse and I both work full time jobs.

Ultimately, I wish nothing more than for the reconciliation of our marriage. I proposed reconciliation a few months back and finally received a response back after 3+ weeks that she didn’t have any interest in trying couples therapy or putting forth an effort to reconcile. It’s hard for me to accept as I’ve conducted extensive research on the topic and even seen with my own eyes, reconciliation between couples who had far worse issues. My hang up is, the not (at least) trying therapy or talking with our pastor, or trying anything really...this especially since we have a sweet baby boy together. I understand that I cannot control the way that she feels nor is that my objective. I just pray that we could at least give it our best shot, give it a try, as I truly have faith and believe that with outside, professional help, we could together overcome and forego this mess and truly make a better future together for ourselves and our child. What’s the harm in trying and putting forth a good faith effort? I continue to remain hopeful and optimistic even though she has told me she has no interest....though folks tell me to accept and move on. I get it. I really do but I will stand for my marriage and remain hopeful. I’m not one to quit nor give up, especially on my family. It is without a doubt my number one priority.

Might anyone share an outsiders perspective on this matter? Does anyone have any similar experiences? Outcomes? Should I give up, accept and move on or should I continue to stand until it’s officially, legally over? Heck, you hear of folks reconciling after the divorce is final but I’d prefer to nip it in the bud now. I know this is all very rare or at least that’s what I’m told but again, I feel it’s certainly not in my best interest to give up. I’m a firm believer in our child needing happy, uppirtive parents under one roof and again, you’ll never know if we can accomplish that without trying. Putting forth the work. After all, marriage is hard work right?

PS: I feel we’re doing a fine job at co-parenting up to this point and our child appears to be happy but at his age I don’t think he understands what is going on.

I continue and will continue to pray for assistance in reconciliation and the restoration of our marriage.

Thank you in advance!

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I just realized that I failed to ask the question in my above post. With a little less than 6 weeks left until the final mediation...how do I proceed with pursuing reconciliation? Or do you not pursue at all and just pray, remain hopeful and let it run its course? Part of me feels I should pursue but the other part of me feels like that could just push her away more. I feel that I’ve made it clear in the past (about a month ago) that I am here should she reconsider just to ensure she knows I’ve not given up. I let her know at that same time that I believe in us and our family and have the utmost confidence that we could start a fresh new beginning if we put in the work together. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

S
S
Welcome to MB.

Originally Posted by Cloud06
My wife filed. We have a son whom is just over 2 years of age. To the best of my knowledge there was not infidelity in our marriage...what has led to this predicament was excessive arguing, ultimately regarding finances/spending.
Who was doing the bad spending? How bad did it get? Did it leave you in serious debt? Did you need to give up your home because of debt?

Per our temp orders we’re currently under an extended SPO. I am pursuing 50/50 custody. I was and still am an extremely active and involved father but not as active as I’d like to be due to the SPO (which I’ll never understand why they start at that and not 50/50 but that’s a whole other post). My spouse and I both work full time jobs.
Please explain to this foreigner what an SPO is.

Ultimately, I wish nothing more than for the reconciliation of our marriage. I proposed reconciliation a few months back and finally received a response back after 3+ weeks that she didn’t have any interest in trying couples therapy or putting forth an effort to reconcile. It’s hard for me to accept as I’ve conducted extensive research on the topic and even seen with my own eyes, reconciliation between couples who had far worse issues. My hang up is, the not (at least) trying therapy or talking with our pastor, or trying anything really...this especially since we have a sweet baby boy together. I understand that I cannot control the way that she feels nor is that my objective. I just pray that we could at least give it our best shot, give it a try, as I truly have faith and believe that with outside, professional help, we could together overcome and forego this mess and truly make a better future together for ourselves and our child. What’s the harm in trying and putting forth a good faith effort? I continue to remain hopeful and optimistic even though she has told me she has no interest....though folks tell me to accept and move on. I get it. I really do but I will stand for my marriage and remain hopeful. I’m not one to quit nor give up, especially on my family. It is without a doubt my number one priority.
It's not that people do not break up over money - I have heard that this is a very high cause of divorce. However, on this forum we often find that a woman who pushes for the break up of the marriage, especially when she has a young child, and when she has a husband who is willing to try anything to reconcile, has found somebody else. And no matter how unlikely you think this is, it is always possible. No matter what the spouse's previous character, no matter their religious convictions, no matter that they may have been on the receiving end of infidelity in a previous marriage or in their parents' marriage - no matter how unconvinced you are, any one of us could let someone else meet our emotional needs - because it feels good. There is nobody, except someone with no capacity to have close relationships- in which case how did they get married - who is immune from this possibility. For that reason, I urge you to think about who another man could be, and even consider hiring a PI to watch your wife when she is not with your child.

I need to point out that "standing" for your marriage is not an MB concept, or a course of action in its own right that is recommended by Dr Harley. As I understand it, "standing" is a specific approach, although I don't know the details of it. If, at its core, it involves refusing to give up on your marriage (at least for a set period of time) and praying, then Dr Harley would be all for that. But he would also recommend discovering and exposing an affair, and trying to meet the emotional needs that your wife will allow you to meet, and avoiding love busters.

It's hard to meet any intimate emotional needs while you are separated, and impossible if she has found someone else. At best you'd be doing a good job as a financial provider and being an excellent father, while maybe doing odd jobs around the house and repairing her car (non-intimate needs), while she laps that up and builds a great relationship with the other man (OM). That's why it is critical to know what you're dealing with. In essence, this is Plan A.

I imagine that fighting over money, with all the nasty behaviour, insults and bad language that fighting involves, was one of the love busters that drove her away. You must realise that you can try to meet her emotional needs as much as you like, but it will be to no effect if you continue with any love busters.

For how long have you been married? What age are you both? Is this a first marriage for both of you? Are there any other kids from previous relationships?

Perhaps you could tell us more about the disintegration of the marriage.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
I just realized that I failed to ask the question in my above post. With a little less than 6 weeks left until the final mediation...how do I proceed with pursuing reconciliation? Or do you not pursue at all and just pray, remain hopeful and let it run its course? Part of me feels I should pursue but the other part of me feels like that could just push her away more. I feel that I’ve made it clear in the past (about a month ago) that I am here should she reconsider just to ensure she knows I’ve not given up. I let her know at that same time that I believe in us and our family and have the utmost confidence that we could start a fresh new beginning if we put in the work together. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
The main thing that would make her reconsider would be your ability to show her how the marriage would be different - and this is hard to do now that you are living apart and she has moved on in her mind. She has a full-time job, she has enough money, and her son has a good father. He is young enough for her to think that he does not know how his life is changing, and that by the time he is older, he will be used to separate households and perhaps a stepfather- that's what she thinks. Her life is probably better at the moment because she is not dealing with fighting and general misery.

You need to find evidence of an affair and do the rest of Plan A as much as she will allow it.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
How long have you been together? How long have you been married? And what are your ages?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi SugarCane. Thank you so very much for your response. I really appreciate your insight.

Some additional information per your request. We will have been married coming up on 6 years very soon. I’m 40 and she is 35. This is both our first marriage. We do not have any other kids from any previous relationships.

She was doing the spending. I also contributed to it some. I should clarify, it wasn’t so bad that we lost the house or went into major debt...we just found ourselves in a vicious cycle of consistently over drafting. Then we’d work together to set a budget, then the over-drafting cycle would repeat thus leading to arguments.

An SPO is legal term for a Standard Possession Order - basically a custody arrangement that allows me to see our child once during the week for a few hours and then the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends of the month, this per our temp orders while proceedings push forward. I’m fighting for 50/50 custody in lieu of the Standard Possession Order but spouse doesn’t agree with 50/50 which I feel is a true injustice to our 2 year old son. We’re both fine parents and I believe that if divorce must be her solution here then it’s in the best interest of our child to be with both parents equally. But like I say, my prayer is for reconciliation. I hope that clarifies the SPO.

A certainly understand that there could be an affair but I have not heard anything of the sort and we’re in a pretty tight knit community where word travels fast. I certainly cannot rule it out one way or the other but there is not any evidence to this point that has surfaced to suggest that there was infidelity or that she’s met someone else but time will tell I suppose. I will certainly continue to investigate this matter. Our breakup wasn’t solely due to money but the arguing that would stem from it and then that arguing snowballing into other arguments. I can only look back now and wish that we would’ve reached out for help while this was transpiring and not after-the-fact. I am naive and was just under the presumption that we’d always work it out in which we did many times but we didn’t properly educate ourselves with professional help to keep it from happening again and that is a real regret for me for us. I’m sure there was a lot of resentment built up that was never addressed. All understandable, it just saddens me that she won’t agree at the very least give the reconciliation process a try to see what could transpire.

We do not and have not argued since the filing of divorce; however, we hardly communicate unless it’s at the child pick up and drop off and she continues to remain very cold and short with me in her communication. Almost like she’s reading off of a legal script. I’ve tried to bridge the gap of communication and we’ve talked a hand full of times but of nothing of any relevance. She likes to keep method of communication via text as much as possible. Over Christmas, I purchased just small gifts for her parents and herself that were “from our son”, my son and I also made her a cute, handmade Valentines card. I’ve reached out to do these things to help show the love but they have been acknowledged very little, maybe just a thank you at best but it is important to me to start those traditions with my son.

As far as the the disintegration of the marriage - it’s based upon irreconcilable differences and conflict in personality. At least that’s what the paperwork says. Like I say, it’s mainly attributed to the the angry arguments from both of us not just one of us. We both are type a personalities and both played a role. Sad thing is, we got a long wonderful for most of the time. We dated 2.5 years prior to our marriage. Really enjoyed each other. The real stressors came while we were both learning to be first time parents and then the covid pandemic hitting in the midst of it all. It’s just a real shame to me that an attempt can’t be made at reconciliation.

As you advised, I will investigate in more detail as to a potential affair and proceed with Plan A as much as possible. I take it that I should not continue to express to her how I feel and that it’s not too late to reconsider. I don’t want to “push” her away but at the same time I don’t want her to think I love given up and don’t care. Conflicted and confused is an understatement. Again, I very much appreciate your response and insight and should you have any additional words of wisdom based off this new response I am all ears. Thank you, SugarCane.

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Brian. We’ve together 8.5-9 years, married coming up on 6 years of those 8.5-9. Ages - I’m 40, she’s 35. Thank you.

B
B
Will you be able to snoop, without her knowing, so you can rule out an affair?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
I think snooping might be impossible, but it's never impossible to hire a PI.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I think snooping is out of the question since we do not live together and only see each other at pick up and drop offs. Theoretically speaking, what is the plan of action should there not be an affair? Then how would you proceed? I’m not trying to say there is not...just trying to understand all options rather than solely focusing on an affair so that there is another plan in place. Thanks again!

S
S
Get a PI to report on how she spends her time when her son is with you. The first step is to rule an affair in or out.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you, SugarCane.

B
B
Will you be hiring a PI?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
L
Cloud, what we are telling you is that if you are already in plan A (no love busters, meeting any needs she will allow you to meet) and it is clearly not working, then there are only two possibilities: either you are still love busting (fighting) or she is having an affair. That latter is the more likely. If she is having an affair, we can help you with that. We really like to save marriages around here! It will probably be someone she is working with and it will almost certainly be someone whose name used to come up a lot and that she suddenly stopped mentioning. Does that help at all?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the response and insight, living_well. First off, let me say...I really love the fact that you all really like saving marriages, that’s so important and I commend you all the folks that have been able to accomplish such a feat.

After re-reading Plan A (and B), I haven’t started Plan A...as I understand it, both plans revolve around already exposing an affair in which I have not done. Again, I am not in denial saying there isn’t one; however, there has been zero hard evidence or hearsay to prove/suggest one. Being that I haven’t exposed an affair, I therefore haven’t negotiated with my spouse to separate from a lover. I presume I’m only able to commence Plan A should an affair be exposed? Again, this, as I understand it.

We have not argued nor fought throughout the divorce proceedings; however, we do have a contentious divorce due to the disagreement as to how custody should be settled but there is no arguing or fighting between the two of us. As previously mentioned, we hardly talk with the exception of brief hi’s and bye’s at our child’s pick ups/drop offs and the occasional texts checking in on our child.

That said, in the past (December/January) I reached out to her once via phone call to let her know that I believe in saving our marriage and would like to take steps (w/professional assistance) towards a reconciliation if she too felt the same. I did not beg nor plead for her to come back but simply advised her as to my mindset on the matter and where my heart sits. I heard back from her 3 or so weeks later with a response that she wasn’t interested. In March she texted me during a weekend that I had our son, stating she missed him. I responded letting her know that I am very understanding of that as I too deeply miss him when I’m not with him. I then reassured her again that I believe in her and that I believe in us and that I am of the mind that we could save our marriage and our family if at some point she decided to reconsider. I left it at at that and never received a response addressing that statement.

I will continue to research the matter to see if I’m able to gather such information but as we stand we’re simply counting down the days until our final mediation attempt. Please let me know if there are any questions or if I may clarify anything; however, there are some matters I’m unable to comment on a public forum. Thank you all for your time, responses and support! I too, am a strong believer in saving marriages!!

B
B
Hi Cloud06,

Maybe I missed it from your earlier messages, but did you or your wife move out of your home to a new place? Who instituted the separation? I ask because like the others, I see a lot of red flags in your story that hint to an undiscovered relationship being the source of the growing conflict with your wife and this resulting break.

Dr. Harley's experience and the stories on this forum are filled with countless examples of spouses wanting space and moving out of the home to make an affair easier. For female spouses with young children - barring physically abusive situations and drug or alcohol abuse situations - I cannot remember any exceptions in my 10+ years on this forum to an affair NOT being the cause of the female spouse moving out. I am sure there are some exceptions, but I cannot remember them as they are so few!

Brainhurts asked about the PI above. I think this is a critical step to either give you the full story or put your mind at rest. The MB strategies are somewhat different in both cases (affair or no affair). A PI will give you the full scoop in a few days, perhaps even a few hours. Frankly, if you don't hire a PI, you may never know the truth about why your marriage ended and your child ended up in a broken home. Your situation may very well be the exception to the rule. But the odds say otherwise.

If she is in fact having an affair, who could be the affair partner? As noted above by living_well, it will be someone she admires, probably a close friend of hers or of both of you, or a co-worker, or perhaps an old boy friend even. It will probably be someone you know of and it may even totally surprise you. But once you know, the pieces will fall into place and you will look back and see your conflicts and this entire situation in a much different light, blinders removed.

Hire the PI.

Me: BH
Marriage: 22 years
2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011
EA w OM started Fall 2010, PA w OM Spring 2011, OM died end Sept 2011

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Blackhawk, thank you for the response. To address your first two questions: I moved out of the home but only once it was made mandatory by our temporary court orders. The home was actually her home (separate property) as she owned it before we were together. My spouse filed for the divorce thus instituting the separation. We’re currently going through proceedings, 6 months-in. The Final Mediation is scheduled for the latter part of next month.

In summary, I completely understand where you all are coming from on the affair side. All we can do is continue to look into it. Thus far nothing. On the flip side, should we not find anything and there not be an affair....what Plan/Steps do I take to make best, good faith effort/attempt to save my marriage before final mediation roles around? Are there any strategies available or past experiences from anyone that has success? Do I make an attempt to take her out on a date and just visit? Do I invite her to go to the park while I have our son in my possession on one of my weekends? Do you send flowers to her work? Or do I not make any contact with her unless she contacts me? Just spit balling ideas here. You read/research so many different strategies it makes your head spin.

Again, I sincerely appreciate each and everyone of you for your time and responses, I wish only I would have joined this forum much earlier but I can’t dwell on the what if’s, must move forward. Please let me know your thoughts as to strategy to put in place these next 5-6 weeks if able. Thank you.

B
B
Part of plan A is being a considerate thoughtful spouse and trying to make love bank deposits into the account of your wife. You are trying to show her that you put her first in your life and you meet her needs, especially of affection and intimate conversation if she will let you. Living separately this is much, much harder, but not totally impossible. You must avoid ALL love-busters in your interactions and not fight ever at all. This does not mean roll-over to avoid conflict! But it does mean not reacting to verbal barbs and doing your best to never show anger or disrespect ever. Again, very, very difficult going through a divorce since if your conversations are all about the divorce these conversations will be difficult and prone to create conflict that causes you both to love-bust each other. You would be trying to demonstrate to your wife that you are/can be a caring and loving husband that can meet her needs even as you negotiate the dissolution of the marriage. You try not to discuss the divorce with her and let the mediators/lawyers do that if possible. You basically try and date your wife.

Even if she goes through with the divorce, you could continue trying to plan A from afar for a period of time, perhaps for up to 1 year after the divorce. Given your short timeline, unless she is already giving you indication or signs she is open to recreating your marriage with you, the odds are you will divorce. If your spouse is having an affair, she will not be open to trying to work things out now, but even after divorce and after the affair dies a natural death she may be open to the idea of recreating your relationship, especially since you are the father of her child.

Have you considered writing the daily radio show so Dr. Harley could address your situation and give advice on air? If you can afford it, you could also schedule a session with Steve Harley from the MB coaching center. Steve is Dr. Harley's son and is a very skillful marriage coach and counselor and can give you a step by step strategy on what would give you the best odds in your situation. Given what's at stake, I would consider these options.

Lastly, I still think it would in your best interest to hire a PI and determine once and for all if you wife is having an affair. If she is, then the approach above would still apply, but you also would have the powerful tool of exposure to break up the affair and speed things along. If you have to wait for the affair to die a natural death this could take a few months or even a few years. If she is not having an affair, this would increase your odds that you could work things out over time. It really is critical to determine if there is an affair or no affair. if you are not living together or do not have access to her electronic accounts, then you will not be able to snoop and find this out by yourself.

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

B
B
I totally agree with Blackhawk and SugarCane about the advice to Hire the PI. Have you even looked into reaching out to a PI in your area?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello, Brian, would it be possible to private message you? There are some items (due to the ongoing legal proceedings) that I am not comfortable putting out on a public forum. Thank you.

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, Blackhawk, thanks so much for your response. I couldn’t agree with you more in avoiding all love busters and to this point I’ve been able to do so. Our primary method of communication is via text with the exception as to when we see each other at child pick ups and drop offs. Even then, there is just not much communication although I try to open it up by making small talk i.e. asking how she’s doing, how her day was, etc. but that just seems to very short stated answers. I’ve tried my best (and will keep trying) to demonstrate my love and care for her. But trying to do so without being overly pushy. It seems to be a fine line to walk on.

I have our son this weekend and was contemplating as to asking my wife if she would like to go to church with us on Sunday morning. Does anyone feel as to whether that would be a good or bad idea? Any ideas as to how I may facilitate a conversation or meet up with her?

Blackhawk, I took your advice and called (left a message) and emailed Marriage Builders to inquire on setting a coaching appointment with Steve Hartley. I have not yet written into the daily radio so but is that something I should do or first try the coaching route with Steve?

As for the PI....I would rather not discuss that topic on a public forum but would be happy to discuss in private.

B
B
The radio show and Dr. Harley's subsequent advice is free if they answer your question on the show. You could be a caller or if you are not comfortable with that they could address your problem on the show in a segment instead. His advice is generally short and to the point. He has so much experience dealing with these problems that he can often get to the crux of your issue very quickly. If you listen to the program a couple of days then you can better understand the format and how Dr. Harley addresses questions. The radio show generally has a new show about 3 days per week, and the other days they replay an older show.

Steve Harley is a marriage coach. His is a paid service. His advice and approach will be tailored to your specific situation and coaching sessions are an hour. He will address questions and give you strategic advice on your situation. You can also check out the coaching center page on this website. You could discuss the PI issue privately with Steve.

I would choose one approach to start.

On asking your wife out to church with you and the kids, I don't think it would hurt to try, but be ready for her to say no and then don't push it. Say something like, "Ok, if you change your mind before the service, just let me know!" and then drop it. I can almost guarantee she will turn you down. Even if she is not having an affair, she is still trying to separate further from you emotionally. But you can plant the seed and keep trying whenever you go to church. Maybe after a few weeks or months she will change her mind, maybe not. You can invite her nonchalantly to join you and your son in any family activity. But do not press her if she says no, which you should expect will be her answer. Do not put pressure on her to say yes to any invitation!

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Blackhawk - I can’t thank you enough for the honest but positive feedback. I’m not here to say I’m going to win her back but I’m sure not going to go down without trying. That’s all I want to do is put forth a true and honest effort. I’m confused as to how best to go about doing that but you’re bringing serious clarity to the confusion thus far....so THANK YOU! I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

We didn’t end up making it to church this morning and the question wasn’t asked as I was still apprehensive as to how to go about asking and if I should. Now that I have your perspective, I feel better about it. I like the idea of inviting her and including her not only in church but in any family activity. But duly noted - I will not press. If she says no she says no and I can then continue to ask another time down the road. I totally get what you’re saying - no pressure to be put on her. Sometimes I’m timid just thinking about asking her to do something such as go to church with us may be applying pressure but really it’s just asking a question, the pressure would come afterwards if I kept on in which I will not. Thanks again for these wonderful tips!!

Let me ask you your opinion here: what are your thoughts about me asking her if she’d be open to attending 3-4 couples therapy or marriage coaching sessions - therapist or coach of her choice l. I will pay the bill(s)....this for the sake of our sweet son and potential future as a family. Thoughts?

Last edited by Cloud06; 04/18/21 02:16 PM.
B
B
Dr. Harley via the radio show or Steve Harley (via marriage coaching) can give you advice on how to try and persuade your wife to join you in trying to rebuild your marriage via marriage counseling. If you have decided to use one of these approaches, I suggest to ask them directly how best to persuade her. In the meantime, read some of the Q & A columns and read all of the articles. You may find a situation similar to your own. Educate yourself with all of the free resources this site has to offer.

That being said, some things to keep in mind:

1. She will probably say no if you try and persuade her to join you in marriage counseling. But that is not the end of the world. You will plant the seed and she may reconsider later if your plan A efforts hit the mark over time. Plan A shows your spouse that you can meet their needs and that if they rejoin you in the marriage then the marriage can be better than before, will be a romantic caring marriage, and a marriage that makes you both truly happy. She does not believe that is possible right now. She rejects it out of hand, hence the divorce proceedings and not responding to your overtures.

2. If she is having affair - I hate to remind you, but most of us responding to your thread believe this is quite possible and even probable - then she will by default say no, as she will be in something here called 'the fog.' The 'fog' means the irrational emotions that are driving the affair and rationalizing the affair in her mind. Again though, once the affair is broken up (by exposure) or dies a natural death over time, she may become more receptive as the affair fog lifts. If she is having an affair, the exposure of the affair is your most powerful weapon to break through the fog and break up the affair. If you do find out she is having an affair, do nothing yet!! Come here and posters will advise you on the steps to take. There is a methodical approach to this that is powerful if used correctly.

3. On marriage counselors, Dr. Harley does not hold a high opinion of many marriage counselors. The goal of the counselor should be to save the marriage and for you and your spouse to be in love again. That may or may not be the case with any counselor. There are many horror stories on the forum of counselors focusing on improving communication or making the dissolution of the marriage smooth and conflict free instead of working on saving the marriage. You should treat any counselor with trepidation. That being said, there are of course good counselors out there, but you need to be really picky. Working with Steve Harley is a great alternative. You and your wife BOTH working with Steve Harley would be even better.

4. On your Plan A, what has your wife complained about in the past? Was it neglect? You being judgmental or disrespectful? Independent behavior? Angry outbursts? Have you read Dr. Harley's books and do you know what love-busters are? You have got to totally remove love-busters from your plan A. This is hard to do, especially going through a divorce proceeding. Your plan A will also prove to your wife you have changed and can become the marriage partner she always wanted. That takes time - sometimes a lot of time - and it takes much effort from you. With you and your wife living in separate locations, it will take even longer.

That last point brought another quick question to my mind that is still unclear. Why did you moveout of the family home? Did she ask you to or was it part of a legal separation agreement? I realize she owned it earlier, but regardless it became marital property and you had/have a right to live there too. Your moving out has made your situation significantly harder.

2 kids
D-Day 5 Sept 2011

S
S
Let me ask you your opinion here: what are your thoughts about me asking her if she’d be open to attending 3-4 couples therapy or marriage coaching sessions - therapist or coach of her choice l. I will pay the bill(s)....this for the sake of our sweet son and potential future as a family. Thoughts?
Letting her choose a marriage therapist, or even if both of you choose a standard marriage or couples therapist, is one of the worse things you can do.

Couples and marriage therapists rarely have the goal of restoring the marriage by building romantic love. Their goal tends to be to first, facilitate "communication" so that each spouse clearly understands what the other is saying. Second, they don't want to change an outcome: they want to help the spouses to treat each other with consideration and respect. Therefore, if one spouse wants a divorce and is determined to get that, the therapist won't try to change their mind but will try to get both spouses to have a friendly divorce.

If you allow your wife to choose a therapist, she will find one that accepts her view that the marriage is hurtful to her and is beyond repair. You will find yourself being "therapised" right into signing the divorce papers.

Dr Harley is the only coach that we know whose goal is to create and build romantic love, so that the marriage is restored. He will take your wife's complaints very seriously, and work with you both to end the offending behaviour, rather than to end the marriage. He will encourage you to meet each other's emotional needs, especially the intimate ones.

The only coaching we recommend you do is with Steve Harley (paid) or better yet, for free with Dr Harley. He will not discuss your case on the radio show at all if you don't want him to. He will coach you for free via email. The very best thing you can do is write to him, and he will suggest ways of getting your wife to join in.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the broadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by them to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Hello, Brian, would it be possible to private message you? There are some items (due to the ongoing legal proceedings) that I am not comfortable putting out on a public forum. Thank you.
PMs are disabled on Marriage Builders. This is an anonymous forum so as long as you don’t release personal information (which isn’t allowed on MB) you should be totally fine.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Blackhawk, again, thank you for the insight. I wept this evening in having to return my son. While he’s only 2, he was very upset and didn’t want to leave. It breaks my heart to see the sadness in him.

There is no doubt that I need to do more reading on this website and will do so in my off time. I have an email into Steve Harley and I will also touch base via email with Dr. Harley.

I moved out of the family home as per court order.

C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Great info, SugarCane. I’m truly humbled by everyone’s insight and support. I can 100% see what you’re saying in regards to marriage therapy/counseling - makes sense.

I will email Dr. Harley tonight.

It seems/feels that every time I build up hope within myself that there is opportunity for a positive outcome, my wife’s short answers and cold demeanor set me back. But I can’t give up hope right???

Thanks again for your advice - it sincerely means the world to me!

Last edited by Cloud06; 04/18/21 09:16 PM.
C
Cloud06 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for all the info, Brian!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,071 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation