Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
I3700 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Would allowing my 15-year-old daughter to visit her mom who will be in jail for 7 months for check fraud be a bad idea even if they have a good relationship since then she will see the inside of a jail and prisoners? Not to mention her mom in a jumpsuit. My daughter would like to go and seems enthusiastic and my wife says bring her if she wants but I’m not sure

Actually my daughter does not seem scared but instead seems excited and enthusiastic to visit. This is strange to me. Do you find this normal? My daughter seems to find the idea of her mom having to wearing a uniform, sharing a room funny. I wonder why she would think it is funny. My wife says bring her if she would like to and my daughter says she would like to but I don't know if it is a good idea. She hasn't gone yet so we can still discuss it together.

B
B
Welcome to MB.

I think this is an excellent to question to write Dr. Harley about. Would you please write thin and then let us know what he says?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the broadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
It would be a good idea for your daughter to visit her mother in jail. It doesn't matter if she thinks some things about jail are amusing; she will see the reality of what happens to someone who breaks the law and offends against society. It would be good for her to go.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
I
I3700 Offline OP
OP Offline
I
What about seeing other inmates and them in jumpsuits? Not to mention she will likely ask her mom what’s it’s like in jail. Don’t know if a 15 year old should know what it’s like to be in a cell and take a shower with other inmates

B
B
Originally Posted by I3700
What about seeing other inmates and them in jumpsuits? Not to mention she will likely ask her mom what’s it’s like in jail. Don’t know if a 15 year old should know what it’s like to be in a cell and take a shower with other inmates
Did you email Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
S
How will seeing other inmates in jumpsuits be a bad thing?

What is wrong with her asking her other what it's like to be in jail? And why shouldn't a 15 year-old know what it's like to be in a cell? She would learn that it isn't fun, and that being deprived of liberty is something to be avoided. She would learn that committing crimes against society is terrible, and that there is punishment which is severe.

It's not as if she would see the showers or the cells. She would visit her mother in a visiting area.

I'm really not sure what you're getting at here.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B
Originally Posted by SugarCane

What is wrong with her asking her other what it's like to be in jail? And why shouldn't a 15 year-old know what it's like to be in a cell? She would learn that it isn't fun, and that being deprived of liberty is something to be avoided. She would learn that committing crimes against society is terrible, and that there is punishment which is severe.

It's not as if she would see the showers or the cells. She would visit her mother in a visiting area.

I agree with SugarCane. This is an excellent teachable moment for your DD15.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

I
I3700 Offline OP
OP Offline
I

Just wonder if the environment and the details are app for for a young girl to see. Also wouldn’t she already know all the basic stuff from tv and school anyway?

Last edited by I3700; 09/18/21 08:35 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation