Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#348698 01/27/03 04:59 PM
L
loveone Offline OP
OP Offline
L
How do you cope with the drama and severity of mother in law issues?

#348699 01/27/03 11:45 PM
H
H
Mothers-in-law are people too. Most of us have one, many are in line to be one. There doesn't have to be drama and severity. I don't know for sure but I think it all collapses most of the time when one side doesn't play.

Ask for recipes, hey she's been cooking a long time.

Ask for advice about laundry or something - you don't have to take it if she isn't watching.

If there is something you absolutely don't care about, ask her what to do with it, then do it.

Ask questions about her early marriage years, how they met, where they lived, what your wife/husband was like as a baby or child.

#348700 02/03/03 02:25 PM
L
loveone Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the enlightment. All of your suggestions were great. However, she does not respond very well because she's threatened that I have taken her son. In actuality, I'd love for us to get along.

#348701 03/15/03 02:17 AM
R
R
Have mother in law problems, too. She and husband fight constantly in front of my wife and me. My wife is too timid to tell them to quit.

My wife gets mad because I don't want to be around them

#348702 03/22/03 08:14 AM
K
K
Have you read this MB Column?

Mother-in-Law

#348703 04/12/03 04:39 PM
J
J
MIL problems - don't even bother if your partner is emotionally immature and still 'attached' - my 1 yr marriage has just broken up because 'I drove "mummy" away', and then she died, because I drove her away.
Oh well, add it to the list......!
Next relationship will be with someone with no living relatives - after dealing with this dysfunctional family.

kam6318 #348704 12/19/06 12:44 PM
A
A
kam6318 - On a side note, would you please share how to add a link to a response, as your "Mother in Law" link?

Thanks, I've been wondering for a long time!

Last edited by ablocke; 12/19/06 12:45 PM.
ablocke #348705 01/23/07 11:45 AM
N
N
They are a big issue in my marriage and why I am here. My wife loathes my mother so much it seethes out of her. I had hoped basically no or very limited contact would ease things but it hasn't much and we are approaching two years since the events that angered her so much (and I contributed to and have begged for forgivness for) happened. She spends hours a day on another web site attacking her and joking with others about me - her clueless husband - and "bonding" with others that have similar issues. It has polluted our marriage to a point we both have questioned whether we want to continue. At this time I think we want to stay together but I don't know if I can accept/live with my wife being so fiercly angry about this the rest of my life. It has really tainted our relationship and IMO ability to communicate. I am sorry about it and would change it if I could. I am at a loss anymore about what to do but the stress I feel sometimes over it feels overwhelming at times. Hopefully it is repairable but at times I wonder if that is just a hopeful dream more than a possibility of actually happening. I don't know what else to do - I have pushed my mom (and brothers) basically out of our lives over this. I/we rarely talk anymore. I am trying to convince my wife I'm dedicated to her but somehow that action doesn't seem to be making much difference - or at least not enough.

notashoped
S
S
Hi,

Its good and I really like it. Thank you so much for making me laugh.

Stella

alcoholism treatment

Last edited by stellaf; 04/04/09 09:00 AM.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation