Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hi All<p>The saga continues with my job - emergency prayer request! <p>A faculty person is going to meet with the president of the college today, and I quote:
"I just wanted to let you all know that I have a meeting with the president of our college today at 3:00 regarding my concerns over what I perceive as harrassment of <tnt> and the way the V.P. has undermined service learning. The president has agreed to meet with me in my office. Wish me luck and I'll let you know what, if anything, comes out of it."<p>This is a little update ~<p>They combined 3 centers into one, which includes the service learning center - and hired one director. VP has told me that I am to cc him and new director with all email, and I cannot talk to the grant funders without scheduling a conference call with our new director, and that I am to log all of my activities and provide a report to them at the end of the week. She has taken one of my grant files to her office, and has not provided me with copies. Now, I fear my email account at work is closed or being intercepted or closed - as my best friend in this area (also a contact for work) said she received a notice that her email was not delivered "user not found". New director refuses all input from me, and will not talk with me, and said I am not to do any more planning. (I am named on the grants as the grant administrator!) Yesterday I overheard her tell one of our grant funders that I am contractually only a clerical worker - so who knows what they are thinking? It is really a mess... I will really appreciate your prayers! <p>TNT

Q
Q
Praying!!

S
S
TNT<p>Me too. <p>Nyvene hi sweetie.

P
P
Hi TnT,<p>
Major prayers coming from me. And a super internet hug ((((((TnT)))))))))<p>
So sorry this is still going on.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Nyneve, Samantha and Pahakissa.<p>I just pray that the pres. of college understands, and somehow my job can be saved,
and that the center is able to thrive. <p>I get this bible verse every day in my email, and it was so appropriate yesterday - so I know the Lord is encouraging me. Thank the Lord, and I pray that my job is okay.
"No weapon formed against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you, this is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me, declares the Lord." Isaiah 54:17<p>Is that a cool verse or what? <p>Thank you Lord. No weapon formed against me shall prosper, In Jesus Name.
Amen<p>[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: trustntruth ]</p>

C
cl Offline
C
HI TNT,
sending prayers and postitive energy your way.
hugs, cl

L
L
Well dang that VP!!! Praying in the form of 20 million halogen light bulbs shining on that VP's head! Lord, a tremendous darkness persists in tnt's workplace. Please shine some very bright lights where that darkness persists and make it go away. Amen

T
OP Offline
T
thank you LH and cl.<p>Well, after sitting on pins and needles all night and most of today - I finally called the faculty person to see how the conversation with the pres. went. We only had a 5 min. conversation, but some of the jist of it is:<p>As you know, VP has forbid me to talk to faculty, then he allowed me to talk to faculty one-on-one, then they hired a new director and I have been told not to talk to faculty again. This concerns the pres. - the treatment of VP towards me. Faculty person asked me if the new director is probably just following orders from the VP, or what, so I told her that I thought that yes, that is probably happening but probably the new director is taking it further than what the VP ordered.<p>She said it wasn't a good meeting, but not a bad meeting either - pres. is pretty convinced that VP is a really good guy, and he had a lot of excuses for VP.<p>This is only the 2nd time that this faculty person has requested a meeting with the pres. since she's been teaching at the college. The first time was over the summer, on my behalf. She feels that her concerns may have some weight -because she's never had to complain about anything or anyone ever before.<p>She said she'll be writing our grant funders to let them know how it went - she didn't say she would cc me, though. She did give pres. copies of my emails to our grant funders (that I wrote from my home, forbidden from work by VP) and the pres. told her that she should tell our grant funders to give him a call. <p>Once VP finds out I went behind his back and talked to a faculty person and our grant funders - whoa - I don't know what will happen. I can imagine it won't be good. <p>Please! Keep your prayers up!
Tnt

T
OP Offline
T
The new director talked with our grant funder, here is an excerpt of what she wrote:<p>"When she <new director> said things were "shifting" and she would be the main contact, I said "Does that mean you would be the <grant> project director?" She sort of hemmed and hawed and said she and <VP> had been discussing that, without a decision yet. I pretty much flat out said I would not allow her to be the PD, that it needs to be <tnt>, since <tnt> been through both of our trainings and state training, etc., and that both <tnt> and <faculty person who went to bat for me, also named on the grant> have the experience to train the faculty and work with community partners. I think the message was pretty clear, and she didn't try to refute me."<p>Pretty much the rest of the email talked about their conversation - and the new director was not truthful on several issues - or the new director does not have a very good memory and is mistaken.<p>The faculty person wanted to know if it was my sense that the director is doing all of this because of the direction of the VP - and I told her that it seemed that some of it was direction from the VP, but that some of her actions are her own.<p>So, there you have it. My mentor and former supervisor, (former faculty person who retired and happens to be my next door neighbor at the lake) said her feeling is that the VP is the pres. "hit man". I mentioned that to the new faculty person I am working with, and she said that was her impression after meeting with the pres. also.<p>So, score is: 2 against (VP and director) and 2 for (grant funder and new faculty person) and 1 undecided. (pres.)<p>Keep those prayers up!<p>TnT

T
OP Offline
T
I couldn't get back online Thursday night, something was wrong with our isp. <p>I have had the hardest time sleeping from all this stress! I go to bed, start itching, feel like the covers aren't all the way around me, start thinking, and thinking, and thinking.... tossing and turning - so I just get up and go get on the couch and turn on the TV. I eventually fall asleep - only to wake up about 2 hours later, think, think, think and pray pray pray. <p>I think I had a panic attack on Thursday, just couldn't go to work! Lor, Samantha and Nyneve prayed me past that. Thank you Samantha, you were a lifeline!<p>Thurs. night I got an email from the faculty person to describe the meeting she had with the pres., she writes:<p>"<Pres> and I have always had a really good relationship, and he was fairly open with me. However, it was clear to me that he doesn't believe <VP> is at fault and that he believes <VP> is not being given a chance here. Although <pres.> wasn't dismissive, I wouldn't say that he took the information with the seriousness that I felt it warranted."<p>Then on Fri I receive an email from the grant funder, saying my mentor from Cincinnati and the funder will strategize and call the pres. on behalf of the center. She hadn't yet made that call when I went into work.<p>As soon as I got there, the new director came over to speak with me. She tried to backtrack her steps - and did not remember much of what we had ever talked about or what was said in 2 meetings with 3rd parties - and said that we obviously have a communication problem. It was the first time that she went over some items "with" me, instead of removing files from the center and dropping the ball. She even made copies of some things she wanted to work on, and returned the originals. <p>She asked me what was my understanding regarding my role in the grants. I told her that it was my understanding that our funders gave us 3 year grants, after I wrote the proposals, and that I was to direct my grants. I told her that I have no problem collaborating, I appreciate direction, and would like to work with her openly. <p>She said she feels "out of the loop" because she gets weekly reports from me "after the fact". (I am cc: all email to her, logging all of my activities and sending them to her weekly, and forwarding things to her that I feel the VP would like her to be involved with.)<p>I asked her if she would like me to prepare a "to do list" daily, or weekly and send it to her, so that she would know what I am doing. She said that isn't good enough because she cannot adjust her schedule to be part of some of those activities. I said, would you like me to log my activities and give those to you daily, then? She didn't know. <p>I got the feeling that she isn't comfortable without total control. I told her that I would like to start over with her, like it was a brand new day, and let's work collaboratively - that is what is best for our students and our program. She agreed to work collaboratively, although she isn't real sure how to do this.<p>When I had arrived at work, there was not a place to park in the side of the college that I prefer to park at. I had to park at the other side of the campus, which meant that when I left I had to walk out of my normal routine. <p>On my way down the hall, I passed a faculty person that I have known for a number of years. Her door was open so I popped my head in. We just visited, (I mentioned nothing about these issues!) - and pretty soon I found out she was a Christian, ON FIRE, and we sat there and held hands and prayed for our college and our community and asked the Lord to help us to shine and reflect Jesus while we worked! It was awesome!<p>I will never be disappointed because my routine has a diversion again, God is in Control!!!! <p>I still need all your prayers - and I thank you all more than you know! <p>God Bless you all.
TnT

Q
Q
Yes, that was a nice diversion [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] , but I don't get the final outcome for your job... what a convoluted bunch of ... blah... ick... <shaking head in disbelief>... potty!!<p>I'll keep praying, as I have been. <p>Love ya, Sheryl

T
OP Offline
T
Well.... It's been 2 more work days since I've updated you guys....<p>STILL NEED PRAYERS!<p>I stopped in the grocery store Sunday night to pick up some milk, bread, etc., short trip through the store. Only one line open. I get up the the line and who am I standing behind? <VP!><p>So, his cart is full enough so that we are standing there quite a while. He knows I am standing there - but neither of us say a word to each other, until his cart is out of the way and we are about 2 feet from each other. <p>He looked at me (without smiling.) I felt he was forced to talk to me. He said "so - how's Connie doing?" Not overly friendly, but smiling, I said "fine, thanks. Are you ready for Christmas?" He says "nope." and walks away, no smile, no further conversation, no nothing.<p>Dreading going to work Monday, I pray all the way there. Once I got there, the new director came to talk to me. She was friendly, and even gave me a telephone call to let me know she had called our grant funder. (She usually does this kind of thing secretly.) She was very nice. She agreed to have mini-meetings/conversations each day - to help her feel "in the loop". <p>Tuesday, she's friendly again, and we agree to talk again on Wed - and she even brought me 2 pieces of mail! wow! After I share what I have accomplished, she usually says something like "that isn't I expect you to be doing, that is something I want to be included on." So, we still have some collaboration exercises to undergo, she really seems to be a controlling person. <p>So then after my day was finished, the faculty person asked me to come down to her office to pick up some info about her class (a project I am coordinating on her behalf.) She said that the new director met with her on Monday, and that the new director said that the president had talked to her Friday morning, as a result of the grant funder calling him. <p>I also found out that the new director was meeting with another faculty person today, she isn't disclosing anything she is doing to me - she is still not collaborating.<p>I hadn't heard from our grant funder since she called the president - so I've been in the dark all this time, dreading having to go to work! I am so glad the faculty person let me know that it had already happened! Now I know WHY the new director has changed her behavior. <p>I still need prayers, but I am feeling just a little better.<p>BY THE WAY.... THIS IS REALLY GOOD NEWS OFF TOPIC!!! My son and his wife had a baby girl really early this morning - at 2:40 MN time, (12:40 CA time). My son called me about 4:30 my time - after all the comotion simmered down for his poor wife. She had a tough time! IT'S A GIRL! <p>That is our 2nd grandaughter! I am a pleased "Nana"!!!<p>Just thought you'd wanna know!
TNT

T
OP Offline
T
PLEASE PRAY VERY IMPORTANT<p>New director changed my hours to 4 hours per day, M-F, 10-2. Before I had a fluctuating schedule because my job fluctuates - although I try to get all my hours in M, W, and Fri. She doesen't like that. (I have school T and Th) Same amount of hours, just within a confined schedule. New director responded to my request of "how do we handle fluctuations in my schedule?" She said "I don't expect ANY fluctuations. (I know, because I have been directing this center for 1.5 - 2 years that just isn't going to happen.) I ran over 20 minutes on Monday - so I came in 20 minutes later on Tuesday, okay per new director.<p>Got a call Tuesday at 2 - needed to go down and see the faculty person, ran over 45 minutes. Then got a call at home at 4:30 - there went another 30 minutes. Called director this morning, and told her that I ran over 1 hour 15 minutes, and why. She sighed, and said, "oh no." I said, do you want me to come to work at regular time and leave 1 hour 15 min earlier? or do you want me to come in 1 hour 15 minutes later?
"later". <p>So, the work that I planned to do today was going to be running very tight. Then she called a staff meeting. Okay, fine. It ran until 15 minutes later. In the mean-time, a meeting was created for 4:00 pm (during the staff meeting) because of her new confines she established during the staff meeting. So, off at 2:15, back to work at 4:00. This is ridiculous.<p>Okay, fine - but then during the meeting - she basically says that we should not do certain pieces of our job unless we've "coordinated" it at what will become a weekly Wed. staff meeting. I explained that while that is ideal, what happens if it is our job, and we receive the work on Monday? Are we to delay the entire project until we've met with the entire staff until Wed? How we've handled it in the past is that if we know a piece of the work that we have to do affects someone else, we communicate that to them. She said "well, just because you know it affects someone else doesn't mean that someone else feels that way." ????? Okay.... so we go into specifics, and I tell her that if it is a major event - then it is in our activity grids from our grants - we know about all of this years events at this point. If it isn't a major event, but part of our regular jobs, then we should just inform the person we believe should be affected by it, until Wed. If it is a major event, an unplanned event, then I would think that it should be communicated to her - as director - immediately, if it cannot wait until a weekly Wed. meeting. I pulled one of our files, and said that it is important that any notes or emails that are relative to students, faculty, or community partner be filed in the file - so that maybe a year from now, if the same people are not working here - there is some sort of trail of paperwork. I explained that I have been doing that, and have been directing other people to do that for 1.5 years. She said she thought files and documentation were a good thing - but that isn't what is important right now. I am not clear - how we are supposed to do our work, because she "poo poo'd" my suggestion, and said that she is changing things. I said that I realize that some things should be changing, but that most things (systems) should not change at this point. She said she is concerned about continuity and all of us need to provide a unified approach, and unless everyone knows about everything, we appear like "un-unified". I agree, I tell her, but that I'm not clear about how we are to do our jobs at this point. Some things are already laid out - who does what. I don't understand what we should be communicating to one another - before the Wed. meeting. She never did resolve that, and it got to be after the time that I was to leave - so she ended the meeting. <p>will write more - brb

Q
Q
Honey I'm here... praying... just not too talkative...<p>Here, though!! And praying!!!!!!

T
OP Offline
T
Then I showed her a copy of my job description, as I was out the door and asked her if she had a copy. She said she did. I said, okay, so I'm not clear how this is changing. Am I still supposed to do my job description? It is my understanding that I am. (VP is my supervisor, not her - I don't know who is worse.) (Job description specifically says "direct the work of clerical worker, VISTA worker, and work-study." "Coordinate with faculty and community partners.") <p>She said she had a copy, and she will get a directive in writing if my job description changes....<p>Can she do that? What the ???? Don't I have a say if my job description changes? On what basis should my job description change? On her ideas? (She has not been there long enough to have a clue yet! sheesh!) <p>She also said "no more logs". (The logs have been given to the president - and she and VP have been contacted by president.) <p>So then, because I am not to work past 2:00, it is 2:15, and because I have a meeting at 4:00 now (due to this staff meeting taking tooooo long) - I have to come home, then go back at 4:00. (That meeting could not be moved up to 2:15 because our faculty person was teaching.) I also tell her that I am frustrated, that if I am doing wrong I want to be told SPECIFICALLY what it is that I am doing wrong in coordinating with everyone. (She tells me very often that the work I do is not what she expects of me, but she doesn't tell me what she expects of me, she says it this way: "That (the specific work that I did) is something - I guess - that I should be included with - I guess - this is something that I will handle from now on. I have observed that she doesn't get the work done - usually drops the ball.) <p>So I go home. As soon as I get home, she calls me. She cancelled my 4:00 meeting. She says I can work on my work tomorrow. But, I have off-site meetings scheduled for tomorrow (she has known about that since last week.) So she tells me what to do from my home, in lieu of the meeting (which is key to doing this work....) - she found a way to meet with our faculty person - in lieu of me meeting with that faculty person at 4:00. (I didn't know this person could meet during a class! sheesh.) Anyways, she decides that I should take off 1.5 hours earlier on Fri.<p>She clearly does not want me to direct the work of the other people in the center, and does not know "how" to collaborate, nor does she appreciate efforts toward collaborating, nor does she like the way the way I have the systems set up in the office.<p>There's more - just have to remember - maybe save that for another time.<p>The Jist? <p>UGGGH<p>Please Pray!
TnT

T
OP Offline
T
ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH<p>"Well, when are you going to learn to take orders."<p>"You aren't the boss... You should just start your own company and that way you won't have any problems."<p>"You are going to lose your job, because if you were my employee I'd fire you."<p>"She can change your job description if she wants. She's the boss."<p>"They don't want any grants. Who cares about how you get paid. They don't want you anyhow."<p>"Well no wonder they didn't give you an interview, if I were the VP, I wouldn't even give you a job. You should be grateful, you are nothing but a high school drop out."<p>"All you do is complain about your job. Just go get another one."<p>gee... maybe I should just QUIT!!! I am so sick and tired and tired and sick. I am just so fed up! I told him, "Maybe you should go get a second job! Maybe it will make sense to you and you will start giving a !@#$ once you realize I AM FIRED! Maybe when YOU have to get that second job?"<p>His retort.... "You should've just kissed butt all over the place, so they'd want you. Nobody wants a trouble maker." <p>I could just scream.

K
K
""You aren't the boss... You should just start your own company and that way you won't have any problems.""<p>Not bad advice at all. There is no security in working for someone else. <p>Pray about this. If you can get grants, then you can write a business plan.<p>Smile! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] God had a great work for you. Where ever He has placed it.<p>I'm praying for YOU. Not your job necessarily. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]

C
cl Offline
C
HI TNT,
Not a bad thopught from karenna! Think on it, pray on it! Not necessarily in that order.(((((hugs))))) cl

L
L
What's that saying... when one door closes, another one opens? The door to making your current situation better doesn't seem to be budging. I think Karenna's onto something good here! Maybe the exit door is the one that's open? I want only the best of all things for you tnt! Sending prayers....

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Karenna, CL, and LH.<p>Every task I've done the new director says "that's not what I expect of you." So, Friday I went in, and did nothing. (There was nothing left that I could do without getting in trouble.) So, I walked around, and looked at art work, checked my email, cleaned my work area, and visited with students. I didn't do anything that took any brains or initiative, or training. She was happy. When it was finally 20 minutes before quitting time, she came in. I asked her if there was anything she wanted me to work on. She said, no, just go ahead and sit there until 20 minutes had ended! sheesh!<p>So, today, I did the same thing. She finally called and said that I could do some internet surfing on a subject that she needed information about. I did exactly what she wanted. (no brainer, totally not needed - as the subject is something that I have been to 35 trainings to in the past 1.5 years - and am one of the national experts on! I even have given presentations to other colleges about the subject! Ridiculous.) But I did exactly what she asked. <p>The college supports the center with $300.00 per year out of the budget. She just wasted 2 working days of my salary for NOTHING. It irritates me, because I am the one that sweated writing the grant to get the money for the center! Not, her! It is just disgusting.<p>I am looking for another job. There is a Guardian at litem job at the county, that I can compete for - it is a subcontract position. I did mediation for the court in CA, who knows. Maybe I'll get it?<p>Anyway, just keep praying for me for this situation, would ya? Thank you so much.<p>TNT

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation