Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Essyboo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
My H worked nights this weekend, so as usual, I went to Blockbuster and rented a couple of estrogen lovestory videos.<P>I saw Nottinghil - Completely unimpressed. I don't like Hugh Grant, he always looks sleepy and in need of a haircut. Julia Roberts is one of my least favorite actresses.<P>The seond move was The Story of Us. I have always thought Michelle Pfeiffer is absolutely beautiful.<P>If you have seen this movie, I would like your opinion on it.<P>I cried at the end uncontrollably. <P>I have a question. Throughout the movie they both reflected ont he good times and of course the bad, but I took this is a sign that they both still loved each other. This caused me to be somewhat alarmed by my own situation, even after the movie I tried to reflect on the good times in our marriage before the affair, and could find none. I fear what that is telling me. After 13 years pre-affair and 15 years total I would think there would be something.<P>I hve considered asking my H what his good memories are, but fear that he feels the same way I do.<P>The good memories is what got them back together in the end. Without those good memories, where does that leave us.<P>By the way, I personally felt he did have an affair and I especially appreciated her comment that he never saw his "girlfriend" through her eyes or her point of view. That is something my H has never done.

F
F
personally I loved it. I saw it in the theater and i am going to send it to my H and ask him to watch it....not that it will have an affect but you never know.<P>amanda<P>------------------<BR>I will love my husband "Always & Forever" <P>thevancefamily@hotmail.com

I
I
Saw it in the theater shortly after discovery. It really struck a chord with me.

E
Essyboo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I would like for my H to see it, but I doubt he will watch it.<P>Do you feel that a marriage can survive what we are having to try to survive when there are no good memories (or their was so much unhappiness that the good memories are blocked out)? This worries me so much.<P>It still seems that every time I think about our marriage, even our wedding and the birth of our children, I feel pain and think about the reasons for that pain at the time. A lot of the time it is very trivial stuff, but the important thing is no matter what it is I can remember him doing something selfish, disrespectful or I just plain felt ugly or unworthy. I know this isn't the right attitude for recovery, but can't seem to shake it. I have racked my brain since seeing the movie trying to remember as many of the good times as I can, but have found no true fond memories, after 15 years and 3 children.<P>A lot of it was probably the lurking constant feeling of being unattractive and unimportant that prevented me from enjoying those times, but that is still not a good indication of the relationship I atleast felt we had.

C
C
Actually we went to see this movie when it first came out, I think we were in the 8th month of recovery and it did strike a nerve, yet it opened the door to some really good conversations......it was good for us. Sometimes I think I should rent the movie again but I don't know,,,,,,we'll see! God Bless!<P>------------------<BR>Chick's <BR>Bren<P>You won't see things until your ready to not be blind!

D
D
I just watched the Story of Us twice in 3 nights.<P>I wept at her speech at the end of the movie, only wishing my wife could have made that speech (soon to be divorced after 33+ years of marriage).<P>It was an awesome movie...except for the too frequent use of the "f" word.<P>I salute Hollywood for making a movie that espouses the virtues marriage and committment.<P>[censored] from Texas

J
J
WE started to watch it last weekend on video and stopped it about 15 min into it. Way too many Triggers , it brought up all the bad stuff all over, we shut it off and just talked. It was much better. <BR><P>------------------<BR>jnvc

S
S
Rented the movie tonight- and it was totally worth it simply for the ending. I loved the talk of "history" that a couple shares- and I loved Michelle Pfeiffer's character's speech. I did tend to sympathize with the Bruce Willis character a little more- but then again I am the spontaneous one in my marriage as well.

C
C
I watched the movie when it first came out -- at least three times! And all three times I cried.<P>My ex and I were married 22 years, and had seven children. Sitting by myself in the theater watching that movie, I was convinced that if my ex were to watch it, she would have second thoughts about her impending marriage (less than five months after our divorce).<P>After watching the movie for the third time, I spent hours one night writing her a long letter, reminding her of the many good times we shared together -- the dreams, the difficulties we overcame, and the many happy quiet times we enjoyed just by ourselves. It was kind of the reverse of Michelle Pfeiffer's speech -- more as if it had been Bruce Willis giving it to her.<P>At the time, my ex's wedding was less than two months away, and I thought that if I reached her early enough, she might reconsider, and give us and our family another chance.<P>Well, to make a long story short, I never sent the letter. One evening when I was thinking about it, I asked myself if I really truly wanted her back. How would I react if she watched the movie, and then asked me if we could go to Chow Fun's?<P>So now she's remarried, and from what little I hear from the kids I don't think it's going to last long. And lately I've started having dreams about her, several times a week. That's never happened before, not even during the year we were separated before the divorce was final. I really don't want her back, but for some reason I'm still having a hard time letting go of the dream, even now that she's married to someone else and starting a new life without me. I think it would probably help a lot if I was involved with someone else, but I know I'm not ready yet. I haven't even had a date, and here my ex has already remarried!<P>Should I have sent her the letter? I really don't know. This has been one roller coaster I never wanted to get on, and as much as I want it to be, the ride ain't over yet.

N
N
I think the thing that bothered me most about the movie was that it portrayed the myth of how marriages fall apart. The characters in the movie argued, they knew there was a "watermelon under the mattress", they knew they had obvious personality differences that caused conflict. All I kept thinking during the movie was that compared to their marriage, ours was wonderful. We sometimes argued, but not like that. We rarely went to sleep angry. The part I could identify with was when they talked about how much the children meant to both of them. I couldn't even identify with the discussion how to tell the children, since my H told me he wanted a divorce one morning, and called up from work the next evening and said he wasn't coming home. <P>One statement rang true - when her friend said that she must be having an affair, because that would be the only thing that would explain why she wasn't feeling devastated. <BR>

B
B
We watched it last week. It was a really good movie, but I don't know if I'll be able to sit through it again. I was really surprised by how much it affected me. <P>We are in recovery, and for the most part I think we are going to be just fine so I didn't expect the movie to do anything other than make me think. Most of the movie did this. I'm trying to remember right now at what point I started to feel really uncomfortable. I know it was near the end. At any rate I actually got so freaked out about it I wanted to get away from it, but at the same time I was kind of held there. I've only experienced that kind of anxiety one other time...During Alien Invasion at disneyland. <P>Needless to say I was balling, but that's nothing unusual because I often cry at sad movies. I have a very vivid imagination, and seem to experience visual things very fully. That anxiety though I have never experienced in a movie, and I have been to movies that hit close to home.

C
C
Actors. Professional actors. Why? Because the real life marriages of the actors involved are one big train wreck.<P>In addition, it was rumored that they were having an affair together during the filming.<P>Real life is the true picture, not scripted performances in front of a film crew.<BR>

B
B
I rented this movie last week.... I went through an entire box of tissue.<P>Throughout our separations and reconcilliation attempts and eventually the divorce, I tried to separate the "good" memories from the bad ones... I tried to focus on the positives. I'm the "happy" one, X was always looking for the down side to things. (at least thats how I see it)<P>I kept thinking.... if only he would watch this... there are too many "if only"s. <P>I will say that I have dreamed about my X & I eating chinese food.... and talking like human beings.... a couple of times in the last week. But it always seems like one of us ends up with an eggroll in an inappropriate place [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]!<P>I loved the movie.... I love the hope it inspires. The speach at the end ... the history of "US".... it was wonderful. I kept wishing that my X was more like Bruce's character... willing to be fun and spontanious... sometimes in our marriage, I felt like I was playing both rolls. (Except w/o the kids).<P>Anyhoo, I plan to watch this movie again... maybe in about 6 months or so.<P>Butterfly<BR><P>------------------<BR>There are deep sorrows and killing cares in life, but the encouragement and love of friends were given us to make all difficulties bearable. <BR>-- John Oliver Holmes<P>The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.<BR>-- Elie Wiesel<P><BR>

L
L
I watched it on the plane and cried. It was like our marriage with out the fighting, but the long silences really hit home. I thought the ending was a little too easy though. They still have alot of work to do and I'm not sure they were prepared for it. And I know he was " just friends" with some other woman right?<BR>Lora

T
T
I saw it too. Except I made the mistake of letting our son watch it with me. He didn't watch the beginning, but was there for the last 45 mins. <BR>Of course I lost it too, The part about having a history together. I had to excuse myself for about an hour to recompose myself and pull myself together. Thank goodness my kids know how hard this is for me, and let mom be alone and when I was ready I came out and joined the family.<BR>I will proably not ever watch that movie again. <BR>Do wish my stbx would. Would it make a differance ? Proably not.....<BR>But who knows.....

M
M
In my case that movie was no stereotype. The fighting the screaming, everything was exactly like our household used to be. That movie could have been about my husband and me. I want to know how they managed to capture all the complicated perceptions, feelings, miscommunications, insecurities, and hopes with such dead-on accuracy and honesty. BRILLIANT MOVIE. And for those of you who couldn't stand to watch more than the first 15 minutes....Force yourself!!! It is well worth it. As the movie unravels you will be so very glad you stuck with it. A cathartic experience for me. I felt so much better after watching it. A must see.

W
W
I hate to drag this out of the cellar...I just finished watching this, by myself [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I think we could have ended like this but since my beloved has decided to have an ilustrious affair with a <B>KID</B> and thinks she is in love with him. I won't be eating chinese food.<P>What a realistic production of my marriage, it's just too bad R had to cop-out.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>BB<BR>

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian T), 1,198 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation