Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
I'm sitting here watching Oprah. Today's topic is about celebrity's love lifes. They are showing Antonio Banderas & Melanie Griffith's relationship. Melanie claims that although their affair hurt 2 marriages (don't know the exact words), they were meant to be together. YUCK! Everyone clapped and thinks that this is so great! Double-yuck!

P
P
It is not only on shows like this but it is in the music, the movies, and on tv as well. Yet, these things must pass because it pertains to the itching ears scripture.<P>It is sad but it is an indication that we need to be weary for He is coming back like a thief in the night.<P>------------------<BR><B><I>God Bless,<BR>Rob</I></B><BR> regilmor@swbell.net

R
R
Gosh, I'm sad to say this but, I have a gut feeling the same thing is going to happen to Mel and Tony.<P>What goes around comes around. And being in the Hollywood scene really intensifies the potential in every way.<P>Jo

D
D
It's appalling that anyone thinks Hollywood stars live the same lives we do. They live in this rarefied atmosphere of constant adulation. Don't forget also that the financial issues are FAR different.<P>Serial monogamy has ALWAYS been the watchword in Hollywood.<P>Did you know that in 1921, William Randolph Hearst virtually singlehandedly manipulated what happened at a party in San Francisco into the Fatty Arbuckle scandal -- solely because he was trying to cover up the fact that he had installed actress Marion Davies into his house in San Simeon?<P>He had a wife at the time.<P>Mary Pickford was married at the time she and Doug Fairbanks got together...and that's regarded as one of Hollywood's great love stories.<P>So this is nothing new.<P>The lives of Hollywood stars may be fun to read about, but let's face it...don't some of the wayward spouses written about here feel like stupid ol' Melanie about their affair partners? Hollywood doesn't have a patent on it. <P>What's scary is that people are so freaking stupid that they can't extrapolate a remark like that into their own lives.<P>Stupidity, more so than guns, television, movies, or premarital sex, is the biggest threat to our society.

L
L
My guts wrench every time I hear about Catherine Zeta Jones & Michael Douglas--their engagement, pregnancy--ignoring that he's still married & has been for 27+ years?<P>Or Demi & Bruce--no divorce--but they went on a double date with each other & their new partners...I don't even read PEOPLE and this crap comes into my knowledge.<P>Gack.

N
OP Offline
N
All this Hollywood info is interesting but tragic, as well. I really detest that these so-called love affairs, are what they simply are, "affairs"<P>That Catherine Zeta-Jones/Michael Douglas pregnancy is really getting on my nerves. I hate how they are flaunting themselves and media are glamourizing it and loving it!<P>I recall about William Randolf Hearst and Marion Davies, but what is the Fatty Arbukle scandal?<P>How sickening! I didn't know that Demi & Bruce went on a double-date with their new "temporary" partners. Yikes!<BR>

N
N
Obviously, this has been going on for eternity... witness the Bible stories. <P>And to me - NOTHING beats Amy Grant and Vince Gill... she's a Christian, and I guess I expected more from her. <P>Gosh, D&C, how'd you know all that stuff? Very interesting... but watch Mysteries and Scandals on cable, and you see all kinds of icky stuff like that... Alfred Hitchcock was such a disguisting pig, for example... it's a story as old as time... sad, that.

L
L
No Trust<BR>at least '8' affairs????!!!!<BR>and you're still with her.<BR>What is the point of being married if only one of the partners in this bond is committed? <BR>I think you are very loyal and stoic...<BR>but geez...how can you look at her knowing what she has done. Once could be considered a weakness or a mistake...<BR>but 8<BR>I'm sorry, I just don't see your side on this one.

N
OP Offline
N
Who had 8 affairs? I don't understand what LonelyInLove talking about???

D
D
I don't know why this stuff happening among celebrities shocks you all. It's no different from athletes thinking they're immune from consequences.<P>Hollywood stars live in a fantasyland, and their lives take place in one as well.<P>Regarding Fatty Arbuckle: He was the biggest film comedy star of the silent era -- before Chaplin. He was at a party in San Francisco in 1921 where a known "bad girl"/starlet named Virginia Rappe was killed. The rumor started that Arbuckle had raped her and killed her with his weight. Hearst latched onto the story, and Arbuckle was tried for the crime -- twice -- and acquitted each time for lack of evidence. There's an out-of-print book called THE DAY THE LAUGHTER DIED that details the case.<P>I know this stuff because I'm a movie history buff.<P>These people don't live like we do...I don't know why people think they do.<P>I get a big kick out of the Amy Grant/Vince Gill bit, BECAUSE of all the "I'm a Christian" nonsense. I love watching the sanctimonious and the self-righteous fall.<P>It's like Newt Gingrich touting family values, then divorcing his wife (who was OW #1) to marry OW #2. Or Mark Chmura refusing to shake Clinton's hand because the president "is not a moral man", then sexually assaulting a teenaged babysitter in the bathroom of his home.

N
OP Offline
N
Hi Dazed!<P>Thanks for answering my question about Fatty Arbuckle.<P>I don't think that it is shocking that these celebs have affairs, but I do think that it is TRAGIC that media and some of society romanticize and glamorize it all...it's as if they think it is so wonderful that these 2 celebs got together....FORGET whatever harm comes to these philandering couple's families & spouses. They don't seem to have any importance. They were just in the way and the wonderful celeb got rid of them to pursue their so-called "soul-mate"

R
R
Speaking of Hollywood Starlites and atheletes thinking they're exempt or don't have to suffer consequences for their lurid affairs, what about the Music Industry? <P>Although my H is not what he considers a successful Musician, he has repeatedly demonstrated that he too feels he is exempt from suffering any consequences for his adulteress actions. I think he believes he's "outside" of what is acceptable in a normal relationship simply because he is a Musician.<P>I am not saying all Musician's are this way, but there is a stigma associated with the Industry and unfortunately I believe it's earned.<P>Jo<P>

S
S
I agree..... the movies, music and celebrities... they glorify it all<P>what they don't realize is that real people are hurting in their hearts...this is no joking matter... to tell ya the truth.. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy... to have your heart and feeling etc... trampled on is something else...<P>I have such a strong feeling in me at times that if I was invited to a wedding etc... I would buy the couple Dr. harleys books... his needs her needs .... and explain to them that it is so very important...<P><BR>sorry for the ramble.... I just so hurt today.............s

D
D
I've always accepted that celebs are NOT like the rest of us. I chalk up the morons clapping in the audience to stupidity; to an inability to see that there are REAL FAMILIES affected by this.<P>No less a Hollywood icon than Tom Hanks is guilty of this also. <P>Now, Jo, I gather your H is a fairly high-profile musician. It's always seemed to me that groupies and such are "just part of the territory," and like being a sports figure's wife, it's part of the deal you make. You of course know more about this than I do, and only you know if your H seemed to be monogamous before you married.<P>I think for us mere mortals, the emotional needs thing comes into play. But when you're married to a celebrity, whether in sports, film, music, or whatever, the temptations are so great, and your spouse breathes such rarefied air, and lives in a culture (i.e. the sports culture or movie culture or movie culture) where things have ALWAYS just "been that way," and I'm not sure there's anything you can do -- even the Harley methods, to counteract those influences.<P>That whole "I looked at him across a crowded room and knew he was the one" thing is a romantic fantasy. But these are people who MAKE THEIR LIVING feeding romantic fantasies; fantasies which we mere mortals buy.<P>As long as we consume the product and pine after lives like theirs, this will continue. Such as it always been, such will it always be.

G
G
Sometime moral people are in Hollywood headlines too.<P>Mel Gibson and his family have been in the tabloids because he's been married to the same lady for 17 years, has seven kids, is a devout Catholic, and believes in all of the Bill of Rights not just the first amendement.<P>If there were more of a demand for these types of stories, more would be printed. Sales equal money equal coverage.

D
D
You're absolutely right, Guilty1.<P>That's what cracks me up about people who say, "They should show less [tv shows/movies] dealing with [violence/sex/drug use/etc.]."<P>Except for one thing. <P>PEOPLE WANT TO SEE THIS STUFF!!<P>If there was no market, who would buy? People will flock to a movie with unmarried people having hot sex, or someone cheating on his/her spouse. But they WILL NOT go see a movie about happily married people.<P>To me, one of the most romantic scenes in movie history is Katharine Hepburn putting her arms around old Henry Fonda in ON GOLDEN POND and saying "You're my knight in shining armour." <P>But that'll never appear on anyone else's top ten romantic scenes list, I guarantee it.

P
P
What about the movies we watch? the movies our children watch? It just feeds into the acceptance of sex without commitment and that it's okay to walk out on your marriage if you are "in love".<P>I just watched The End of the Affair. What rot! These two people supposedly had such a great love affair, demonstrated by how much they sacrificed for one another. Then the stupid H shows how much he loves the W by allowing the affair and inviting the lover to move into the house so that he can be there when the W dies. How stupid. All in the name of love? Does no one in this movie have any self respect?<P>As for entertainers, I can see how it is a bit more tempting for them, but that doesn't excuse them for making immoral choices. My H is a musician who gigs in his "spare time". He really is wildly talented and the women pick up on that energy. They do go crazy over it and throw themselves at him. Bras, hotel keys, phone numbers. It is just shameless what people will do for someone they don't even know! How easily impressed! Hm, an ax murder who can play music. Wow, I think I'd like to sleep with him with no protection- NOT!

R
R
Oh man Popeye, your H is a Musician too??? My condolences.<P>I say that only because I know what heartache can be associated with being married to one, especially if they're weak of character.<P>And I agree, those women will throw themselves at them, do whatever it takes, and sometimes I'm embarressed FOR them, to get a Entertainer to sleep w/them, it's a conquest.<BR>They're just out there to seduce what they think is a "Star" and in all actuality he's just a human like the rest of us, a man. Sometimes a not very nice man too.<P>They have zero respect for themselves and their target.<P>Jo<P>

R
R
Nope D & C, my H is not high-profile at all. He's now in a single person band and is struggling financially trying to find Gigs because Kareoke(sp)is taking over.<P>Before his prospects of becoming "Famous" ran out, he was a pretty wonderful boyfriend and H. But as soon as the clock started ticking, and he got a little bit older, his convictions, character and value system went into the toilet.<P>I'm not excusing him for his trangressions, but simply giving you the outside influences that lead us here.<P>Jo<P>

P
P
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonelyinlove:<BR><B>No Trust<BR>at least '8' affairs????!!!!<BR>and you're still with her.<BR>What is the point of being married if only one of the partners in this bond is committed? <BR>I think you are very loyal and stoic...<BR>but geez...how can you look at her knowing what she has done. Once could be considered a weakness or a mistake...<BR>but 8<BR>I'm sorry, I just don't see your side on this one.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I stay with her because God asked me to be there for her. God asked me to marry her in the first place. I love her because God loves her. I do what God asks. He is alwys with me and has shown me her pain.<P>She is actually doing the same thing her mother did. She is the product of a broken home. All of her sisters by her mother have different fathers. Her father has children by several different women as well. God wants me to show her His love. I as a man am incapable of such love without His help. God gets all the glory, honor, and praise for my staying.<BR><P>------------------<BR><B><I>God Bless,<BR>Rob</I></B><BR> regilmor@swbell.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 493 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation