Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53233 08/03/98 01:37 AM
R
Rosalie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
My husband and I have been married 22 years. I feel that money has always been a big control issue for him, and it has gotten to the point where he wants me to 1.write down all expenses daily (as does he) 2.produce receipts as proof of my purchases. 3.not go to the bank or write checks for any reason (we bring home a certain amount each week that we will need). He feels that I have a problem with money and impulsive spending, but I can honestly say that I DON'T.I am tired of being the one to take the blame for his perceptions, and I am depressed. He will not go to a counsellor, although we went 3 times, because he says it didn't work. We have 3 kids, and his control issues are starting to affect them also.He also went off his meds(Prozac) 3 weeks ago. I love him and I know he loves me, but his rigid attitudes about life get me down.I need a financial plan that will allow flexibility but will allay his fears of financial disaster. Let me end by saying that we have already paid off our mortgage, and have some money saved up for education, etc.,so I think we've done really well.Frankly, my husband and I have taken few holidays, and even those were paid for as gifts by my parents. When I mention a holiday, all he can stew about is how much it will cost, and how much work he has to do around our acreage. Anyone out there with ideas on how to deal with someone who is basically a control freak and thinks he's right??help!
<br>

#53234 08/12/98 10:45 AM
S
S
Rosalie,
<p>I've been thinking alot about your problem and have a few questions for you. Do you work and earn your own money? My mother-in-law had this same problem and was only able to "fix" it when she started bringing some money in and felt that she had a right to say where it went.
<br>Steph

#53235 08/12/98 02:53 PM
R
Rosalie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Steph- Thanks for the reply, and yes, I have taught school for 24 years, and hardly ever took enough time for maternity leave, even when we lost a son in '82. I have to say that it's my fault for not being more assertive, and I think I need practical ways of expressing my views, opinions, etc., when the need arises. The thing is, I really don't even know what is normal in a relationship, and I should look into courses on assertiveness, or if anyone knows of a website that would help in this regard, please let me know. Thanks again. Rosalie

#53236 08/12/98 04:03 PM
S
S
Rosalie,
<p>I think not being assertive enough could be a large part of the problem. A course could help or maybe even a counselor. I think that you should be able to come up with something your husband will agree to. He may just think why change when what you have is working for him. I would try and work something up where you both have what my husband and I like to call free money. If you spend it fine and if you don't then you can save it up for bigger things. I wish you luck because that is not an easy way to live. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
<br>Steph

#53237 08/12/98 05:20 PM
C
C
I understand your problem and it is due to your lifestyle, however remember one thing that no matter how well you have planned things concerning your security, home and family you cannot take it with you when you are gone. My advice to you after such a long struggle is to plan for the rest of your life and start with a holiday that will take your mind off money, a desert island perhaps or a cruise. Good luck.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation