Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60772 08/05/99 12:54 AM
G
GAS Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just a quick background. My wife has recently gone back to the Catholic Church. I am a Bible believing Christian, sole fide, sola gratia. (Scripture alone, grace alone) We have spent the last two years trying to convert the other with endless apologetical arguments resulting in a seperation and DV counseling for anger management. We are on the road to reconciliation and are both in counseling for our stuff, thank God! I have had to let go of a great deal of issues and prayerfully and faithfully rely on God's soveriegnty to hold us together. We recognize that God has to be the glue to hold our marriage together, but we also recognize that such words as "grace" and "works" and "authority" and "church" do not mean the same thing to eachother or the different faiths. We cannot read scripture together because we cannot agree on translations or even share our faiths without presupposing that 1)we are still trying to convert the other, 2) one of us is misinterpreting scripture or has been conditioned to false teaching. Each faith does indeed have a different interpretation and it is not merely semantics. We love eachother very very much and don't ever want to go through sepration or worse divorce as our past journey led us. We also recognize that God has had a hand in our life and our reconciliation and given us a chance at a new beginning. We also have 2 children and are struggling on what to teach them. We want to be together and grow together spiritually but we are at an impasse. How can we work through this? Can there be a middle ground without compromising our faith? How do I do that and maintain my beliefs and set the spiritual tone for my family, as I believe is my role as head of the house, if we can't even agree on which Bible is the more accurate translation? Let me clarify, I have read that the most accurate translation of the original Scriptural texts is the King James. She would argue against that according to the Catholic Church. (Mine is King James, her's the New Jerusalem) If I am wrong I would appreciate some insight. I love her, but also don't want to compromise my faith. I would really appreciate some input or suggested reading. One final thought. We are on the other side of seperation and our marriage is on the way to healing. I have truly let go of what I believe is selfish pride in trying to will my beliefs on her. God has been changing my heart tremendously as I have let go of many things as far as her faith is concerned. I accept that she is Catholic, I may not agree with the teaching, but I know that in her heart she does have a relationship with Jesus. I don't want to try to convert her anymore. That is between her and God. We just get into a gray zone with what do we teach our kids. I also want to just share our lives together more implicitly, of the same mind and same spirit. Any suggestions from someone else that may have had a similar experience? Thank you!<P>

#60773 08/11/99 02:40 PM
Y
Y
Hi, I not an expert by any means. But, as read your postings I really thought you & your wife are fighting for control? Is this the real issue (who's right?) I may be wrong but you both seem to obsesive when it comes to this issue. I truly believe that God welcomes poeple from all faiths. Who are we to judge who is right and who is wrong. I would suggest you find a church that you both can worship at. Take a walk in faith together, even if it means both of you going to a new church together. That way you will be focusing on working together as a family. <P><BR>"Your word is a lamp <BR>to my feet and a <BR>light to my path."<P>Psalm II9:I05 (NIV)<P>I hope this helps.<BR>

#60774 09/09/99 06:13 PM
Y
Y
Hi, I was wondersing how it is going. i hope thing are well.<P>Carol

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation