Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MENTAL Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My attorney was kind enough to set up the contempt hearing and the custody hearing for me.......then said if I could not pay the 1900. dollars and another 2500.00 he could not represent me.<P>Well I don't have it so he withdrew his appearance for me.<P>Now I have to go to court and represent myself for a custody hearing.<P>I am just where my ex wanted me to be. <P>Nancy

H
H
Can't help much, kind of makes me gasp when I read things like this. If all costs can't be placed on your husband, and if you have to go it alone, it sounds like you have documented completely, and what better proof of how mentally sound you are, and stable, and able to cope, than to stand in front of that judge, and calmly represent yourself. <P>Rely on the help you get from the law clerk, and have all your ducks in a row, so to speak.<P>My father did that one time,obviously not for something this critical, but the judge told him afterwards, how impressed he was, with the preparation, documentation and my father's handling of the situation. <P>Maybe there is strength in having your x and his attorney underestimate you - and no judge will be unmoved by the David and Goliath situation... <P>My prayers are with you.

D
D
Nancy,<P>When it rains, it sure pours. What a mess.<P>Is there a legal aid society in your area? How about public defenders of some sort. When I was in your situation, my lawyer told me that ultimately, the judge would postpone it and allow me to figure this all out. <P>A lot of the laws in each state are already set and theres not too much to say or do to change them.<P>Call every lawyer in the phone book. See who will handle it. The lawyer wouldn't even take payments from you? I thought most did?<P>I haven't received a bill from mine yet, I am not sure how bad it will be, but I know its pretty bad.<P>Hugs, Dana<BR>

S
S
In our county we have something called SCOPE twice a month for people in your situation. It is a meeting with a lawyer and the clerk of court to answer any questions you may have and help you fill out paperwork. It is free. <BR>Call your courthouse and ask if they have this kind of thing...it is well worth it. Good luck.

M
MENTAL Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you,<P>I plan on checking into some stuff next week. <P>My ex is very cruel and it is time he stops being that way. And if I have to throw myself at the judges feet and ask for mercy I will.<P>I am not too proud.....when it comes to those girls of ours.<P>They mean everything to me.<P>nancy

K
K
Nancy, man your situation just keeps going and going and going. I guess I'm confused. I thought the custody stuff was settled. What happened? I don't understand why he's doing all this. I can't really offer any advice other than I hope everything works out for you. I am thinking of you and hoping this mess will be over and your H will be shown for who he really is. Take care.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Blessed be.<BR>****************<BR>Keridwen<P>Keridwen_7@yahoo.com

B
B
Nancy,<BR>my prayers are with you....Do you stil have my email address? If so, email me and let me know how things are going. I have some friends who are attorneys that might be able to help you out a little....

M
MENTAL Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Things just keep going from bad to worse.<P>According to the State law........custody cannot be changed unless there is a significant change. There hasn't been one.<P>Also the law claims that if he gave me custody knowing all of this......not once, but twice......that the old stuff cannot be brought up. Of course that doesn't mean his attorney won't try and unless I feel confident to object...then I am SOL.<P>That is the way I read it........but with no attorney to represent me and really no legal advice..........I am at the mercy of the judge and the court to do the right thing.<P>Boomer.........I don't have your e-mail address anymore.......lost it all when computer had to be rebooted. Any help you can give or get would be wonderful. I am truely at a loss as to what to do.<P>I am hoping to go to the law library and see what I can find.<P>Thank you all for your prayers.....I thought this was over, but I guess it is just the beginning for him. The sad part is.....by tomorrow he will know that I don't have an attorney and who knows what will happen.<P>Nancy

B
B
<BR>Can you find a pro bono lawyer to represent you? The Bar Association refers people without means to pro bono lawyers (it means "for the public good") As I remember it, it is for people who are defending legal actions, more than people who are suing others.<P>It depends also on your income, assets, etc.<BR>Good luck <P>------------------<BR>Belle, Domestic Goddess

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,254 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation