Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
Karenna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Here is the abstract of an interesting article just published in the Cornell Law Review journal.<P>CHILDREN AT RISK: THE SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF FEMALE CHILDREN AFTER DIVORCE<BR> Robin Fretwell Wilson<P><BR>86 (2) CORNELL LAW REVIEW 251<P>Abstract:<P>The continuing growth of nontraditional families in the United States presents unique problems for family law courts. Concerns regarding the welfare of children in nontraditional families loom larger in light of considerable evidence demonstrating that a female child, after her parents divorce, faces a significantly elevated risk of being sexually abused by either a parent,a parent's partner, or a person outside of the home.<P>In this Article, Professor Robin Fretwell Wilson addresses whether the law can effectively mitigate the risk of child sexual abuse by considering it in custody determinations. After dispelling common<BR>misconceptions about the nature of sexual abuse, Professor Wilson marshals overwhelming empirical evidence-more than seventy social science studies-showing a connection between family disruption and<BR>child sexual abuse of girls. Professor Wilson argues that family law deals inadequately with this disturbing phenomenon because courts in custody proceedings generally neglect to address the in-creased<BR>statistical probability of sexual abuse after divorce. She then maps out three possible routes to prevention of sexual abuse by using custody determinations to increase parental awareness and encourage parents to take affirmative steps to mitigate the risk to their daughters.<P>Professor Wilson recognizes that acting in anticipation of risks-rather than after demonstrated conduct-is not without controversy. She examines, therefore, whether tailoring prevention efforts to children at divorce will stigmatize single parents, discourage remarriage or encourage non-custodial parents to later fabricate charges of abuse. Professor Wilson concludes that integrating the increased risk of child sexual abuse in custody proceedings is ultimately a commonsense way to address a pervasive problem. More broadly, Professor Wilson contends that judicial decision makers can intelligently address the challenges facing fractured families only if guided by substantial evidence of how these families function.<P>Professor Robin Fretwell Wilson<BR>University of South Carolina School of Law<BR>Main & Green Streets<BR>Columbia, SC 29208<BR>803/777-8295<P><BR>You can read or download the whole thing in Adobe Acrobat format from this link.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.law.sc.edu/wilson/wilsonscholarship.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.law.sc.edu/wilson/wilsonscholarship.htm</A> <P>------------------<BR>A true friend is one who not only is willing to love us the way we are, but is able to leave us better than he found us.

R
RWD Offline
R
Dr. Laura quotes "sources" that says the majority of sexual of abuse comes from the mother's boyfriend as opposed to the father. So this would support the Dr's report if her numbers are adequate.<P>Just look at how many posters ws here have hooked up with someone with some real character problems and not just those dealing with seeing a married person, things like drug, alcohol use.

K
Karenna Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am hoping this article could help someone, or their attorney, with an ongoing custody case if necessary.

B
B
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RWD:<BR><B>Dr. Laura quotes "sources" that says the majority of sexual of abuse comes from the mother's boyfriend as opposed to the father. So this would support the Dr's report if her numbers are adequate.<P>Just look at how many posters ws here have hooked up with someone with some real character problems and not just those dealing with seeing a married person, things like drug, alcohol use.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dr. Laura takes this a step further when pointing out just how important it is to children to be raised in a home with two loving parents, if possible the biological parents.<P>When Mom gets custody of the kids and remarries, the probability that children will be abused by the step father is six times as great as the incidence of abuse by the natural father. But if Mom gets the kids and decides to shack up with another man, the probability of abuse is seventy six times as great.<P>I have nearly forty years of experience as a police officer, and from what I've seen, those numbers seem to fit pretty well.<P>Karenna,<P>Thanks for posting the extract. It is really something we all need to think about. When there are children involved, they are more important than either divorced parent's so called happiness. Their needs damn sure have to come ahead of the need for a snuggle buddy. ( I've already cleaned that up some.)<P>Bumper <P>

K
K
Karenna,<P>This is one of the reasons I will not date or get married again. I cannot risk the emotional, mental, and physical health of my children just so I won't be lonely. My ex-H didn't see their needs as more important than his, but I do. I for one, realize that as their only decent parent left, I have to sacrifice for them. Their father, by going after his heart's desire, has ultimately banished me to a life of loneliness. But I cannot put my children in a situation of danger. I honestly think step-families are a huge mistake. I don't think they work very well and I won't put my kids through a divorce again either. Thanks for the article. <P>------------------<BR>Blessed be.<BR>****************<BR>Keridwen<P>Keridwen_7@yahoo.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation