Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#689109 05/04/01 02:42 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,<P>I have a question for anyone who lives in California or has lived there. My wife (oops- xwife) who is from a VERY small town located in the Mid-Atlantic East coast (and never lived away from home), has decied to "run" to California to take a job and live - I think near San Fransico. I have never been out to the West Coast, but a couple people who have, told me that she is in for quite an eye-opener.<P>Unfortunately I still care and worry about her a good deal. My question is: "What is it like out there for a niave small town girl?".....<P>Mike<P>------------------<BR>God always waits for the right time to do the right thing in the right way.

N
N
It depends...<P>Up north is slower and quieter, even in a big city like San Fran... but they are very liberal (you've no doubt heard about the huge gay community), and there is a large diversity of nationalities.<P>Violence is at a minimum compaired to areas more southern.<P>The weather is lovely, and she can be in a large city or small town within minutes. It's a nice place to live.<P>If she's more south than that -- the closer she gets to LA, the harder it will be. All *sorts* of people around there... conservative and liberal, straight and gay, black and white, violence high, weather erratic, but for the most part nice too, just hot and smoggy...<P>I was a native Californian (42 years straight) until I moved to Canada late last year. It's lovely here, but I do miss many things about CA.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by new_beginning (edited May 04, 2001).]

J
J
Well, if she doesn't have a lot of money, she will have a problem, especially in the Bay Area where I live. Gas is 1.95 a gallon regular, pump it yourself, electricity is going up [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com], housing is beyond believe, and $2000/mo might get you a 1 bdr. apartment.<P>The weather is great, many outdoor things to do, from beaches, to mountains,forests, deserts, whatever you like.<P>The people??? well. This is a very unusual place. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Anything else you need from the Chamber of Commerce???<P>I know there are others from this area so you will here more, I am sure.<P>I really couldn't predict if she will like it or not.<P>Does that help??<P>JL

F
F
Another native Californian here. I have traveled extensively and I am still of the opinion that you get what you pay for. Living here is terribly expensive but the opportunities afforded can't be matched. A small town gal will certainly know that she's not "in Kansas" anymore. I call it the fever. When I meet recent transplants, they often experience culture shock. I tell them, "give it a year and you will contract the fever". It happens every time. It can get in your blood and be very intoxicating once you adjust. California is very busy, rich with culture/art and well...the weather (ex. of you get what you pay for). Drive in one direction and you ski, another you lay by a pool in the desert, another you're at the beach, another you're watching movie-making, etc. It's all within your grasp, whatever your desire might be. <P>Without an education or skills to make a good living, California is just plain out of reach, sad but true. Yes, we have earthquakes, smog, freeway congestion and now our unpredictable rolling blackouts. Trade it?? Never in a million!

G
G
Another former native Californian from the Bay Area here (now living in a very small town in NY). I agree with all the above replies! They pretty much covered it all!<P>

O
O
I live in the bay area. Born and raised here (for most of the time). Last year, finding a place to rent required standing in line just to get an application with about a dozen other candidates. Some even took bids just to rent a place. <P>This year with all the layoffs of the dot com companies, more homes in this area are for sale and more rentals are beginning to to be available. Rent it still high. Gas is running at about $2.07 for premium. PG&E (gas & electric company) is high, average for apt around $60.00 in the summer without using the air conditioner and not using the heater. Natural gas usage is high. Milk runs about $1.85- $2.99 per gallon (higher end for the natural type of milks). <P>Getting around the bay area can be difficult. It takes about 1 hour to go about 30 miles, whereas the anti commute traffic takes about 1/2 hour There is a rapid transit system (BART), trains and buses. Most take their cars and fight the daily traffic. Bridge tolls can run between $2.00 - $3.00. Regular cable is about $45.00 and digital cable starts at around $55.00 (not sure). Rent is about $1500.00 - $3000.00 for an apartment. Houses run about $2000.00 - $5000.00 and up. Auto insurance rates can be high depending on where your zip code is. That is not suppose to be legal but they do charge by area. <P>Many have moved out of the Silicon Valley and live over in the next valley like in Tracy, Modesto, Stockton or Sacramento and daily commute to the Bay Area. Housing is more affordable there but the traffic is horendous. <P>L.<BR>

G
G
The only thing I can add (being way down in Southern California) is what Mark Twain said about San Francisco:<P>"The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco."<P>Them breezes off the bay can be murder.

R
R
I've lived in southern CA since I was ten (from Canada originally)<P>Everyone has pretty much covered the bases already. You pretty much have access to everything here- mountains, beach, desert. San Fransisco happens to be a favorite local for me, I love that city.<P>As far as being a naive, small town girl. I really don't think that she'll have any more troubles or struggles than what she already may have in a small town. (there are plenty of "small towns, communities" in CA too). One of the eye-openers will definately be the cost of living!<P> [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>Petrie

G
G
Native Californian here! <P>I thought CA was bad, until I moved to Massachusetts - no offense, but the East Coast is a whole different world, the costs there are high too...<P>I grew up in Southern Ca, am living in San Fran area now and things are expensive. I also a place in San Diego and it is high there, but managable. LA is a tough area, but SF and SD are really nice areas with very friendly folks - after being in New England for 13 years, it was a welcome change to come home to friendly folk....I didn't know how nice it was here until being gone. <P>And the weather, although it has it's down days over all is the best by far. <P>Genesforme....a native who's VERY glad to be home.....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,358 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation