Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
K Offline
K
And your husband CAN worship in a Catholic church, although he can't receive communion. Perhaps it would be good for him to go to confession at this point, and discuss this with a priest?

Q
Q
OH! Really!! That's interesting...<P>I'll do a bit of study on it too, then!!<P>Thanks, K [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

Q
Q
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K:<BR><B>And your husband CAN worship in a Catholic church, although he can't receive communion. Perhaps it would be good for him to go to confession at this point, and discuss this with a priest?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, another excellent point. I'll discuss that with him. Thanks!! Great idea!<P>

S
S
If your hubby really wants to continue in the C. church why don't you make an appointment with the priest and disscuss it. I know that the church allows me to take B control pills. Alot had changed in vatican II and things progress all the time. I only know about the B control from our marriage prep classes. They did urge the rhythm method but agreed that sometimes financially you cannot take those risks.

Q
Q
When he wakes up today I'm gonna discuss all this with him again... with this newfound info and advice.<P>Thanks guys! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

T
T
I have a question about the annulment process. <P>My best friend was raised Catholic. She marrid a man who was also Catholic but had been divorced. His first wife had cheated on him several times and the church told them that he couyld get his first marriage annulled if he could prove (or his first wife would admit in writing) that the demise of the first marriage was caused by her adultery. Believe it or not, the first agreed to do that.<P>However, once they had the paperwork, etc, the church said taht it would cost them $6000! Why so much money?<P>It seems that the Catholic church will let you do anything if you give them enough money. Or maybe it was just that particular church.<P>------------------<BR>I believe it's my lot in life to question everything. Am I doing a good job or what?

K
K Offline
K
Truthseeker:<P>There is generally a filing fee for an annulment, but that typically runs on the order of $50-$100. I have no idea why your friends were told that high of a figure.

S
S
I had inquired and for me in Canada at my diocise would have been 400$ or what I could afford. The one thing about annulment is you don't have to do it during the divorce or immediately after. The church is really understanding when it comes to this because it is a difficult process.

T
T
It must have been that particular church, then.<P>What a slap in the face it was to them, because they had been members of that church all theri lives and their parents were, too. They didn't seem very understanding at all.<P>They ended up marrying in a UU church and they have both turned their backs on Catholicism because of this. (Well, to be fair, they were having their doubts anyway, but this was the starw that broke the camnel's back).

R
R
I'm in a 2nd marriage, and would not be if a Father of the Church, would not have changed his bible verses and teachings in order to save a life. After seeing me apoun my return to home from being hospitallized at my 1st husbands hand. We had been being counciled with all the aboved mentioned prior to the last incident, and he admited he wanted to kill me, and that I was lucky to have gotten away. I never believed in divorce we had 3 children under the age of 5 and Father Joe showed me a hole new side of the bible. That saved my life and gave my childen a mother. The most bizzare part of this was, When I prayed for the right choice and insisted it be dirct and obvious. Our family home burnt to the ground and my 1st husband was out of town and refused to come home and help or comfort our childern. I applied for my first real job and was hired on the spot a few days after the fire. Do I belive Our God aproved, YES! was it reconized in the church, No. Did I ask for it to be, No. I went straight to the top for my answer, and was given support by the church. Alot of the teachings in the Catholic Church are greatly due to interpetation. That is where all of our branches of christianity started. He who have not sinned, let him cast the first stone, and I ain't throwin' nothin'.

W
W
Pardon me [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] But I must make a couple of slightly anxious responses to some of the things mentioned here: <P>First off, K, a Protestant cannot receive communion regardless of whether they think they can believe in Transubstantiation. They would have to become Catholic in order to receive Communion. The only other religious faith that can receive Communion at the Catholic Church are the members of the Eastern Orthodox religions, the so-called 'sister churches' of the Catholic Church. Also, you are not to receive communion if you have a mortal sin on your soul that you have not confessed and repented of. <P>Also, SuzzieQ, I think? The Church does not now nor ever has it approved birth control for reasons of financial difficulty, or any other reason. The only approved method for having or not having children, is called Natural Family Planning, and this does not involve pills or devices to prevent pregnancy. If you were told this was 'okay' through a church group, than I'm afraid the people there were in grave error. Unfortunately, the Catholic Church is filled with well-meaning, but incorrect, people at this time in history who are saying and doing all kinds of things that are in direct opposition to the position of the Catholic Church. <P>There are some pretty good sites on Catholicism...One I visit quite a bit is <A HREF="http://www.ewtn.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ewtn.com</A> -- and there's a forum where priests answer questions. I've learned a lot through them. <P>Please consider checking it out. I'm sure you'll find it to be very helpful. <P><BR>God Bless,<BR>Lisa<p>[This message has been edited by BrownEyedGirl (edited August 05, 2001).]

S
S
BEG you are probably right on that, but it was in a marriage prep class. I think I am going to ask the one lady the next time I see her what she means again, just to see if the same thing is said or if it is now different. <P>From what I understand is that family planning is the only method endorsed by the church, but they will not excuminicate for other methods used.<P>I was under the assumption that this was certian types of pills, not all, and condoms, foams, sponges and diaphragms. But not IUD because it will not allow a formed fetus to attach.<P>Correct me if I am wrong though.....<P>Even still I will remain on my BC because I was not put on it to prevent pregnancy but because of health risks.

K
K Offline
K
Lisa,<P>quote]First off, K, a Protestant cannot receive communion regardless of whether they think they can believe in Transubstantiation[/quote]<P>Check your catechism. I think it says so in there. I was pretty surprised too. (I'll check it again, just to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ian T, 1 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation