Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Anyone know what to expect at the hearing? I have filed for spousal support and CS from my H. There is no legal separation in my state, but I am able to file and still live in the same house - at least that's what they told me when I picked up the paperwork and made the court date. We go before the judge in a week to set spousal support - had to fill out a lot of paperwork about our income and living expenses - and then the CS will be determined that same day (I have to count spousal support as income so that has to be done first and that has to be set by the judge). Has anyone been through this? What do they ask? I am very nervous, and could use some support, advise, etc. Thanks.

C
C
I can't give you any advice and as far as what will happen in court...my crystal ball is in the shop...but I can give you support.

Don't be nervous, though. I don't think you ahve anything to worry about since neither you or your husband have to vacate your home to make this fly.

Congratulations on doing what you must to protect yourself and your children from being financially devastated. You are very wise and very bright to be doing this very important first step to securing CS for your own children. I give you a lot of credit for being proactive instead of sitting around mewling and wallowing in the "ain't it awfuls".

My husband and I actually were divorced to protect me and we have lived together the entire time. No one has come by to check if he is or isn't here...they don't really care. Through the divorce I was able to file a Quit Claim deed on our house in my name alone to prevent the OW from obtaining a money judgment against the equity in our house. Sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures.

Good for you!

Catnip =^^=

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the support Catnip. I do my fair share of wallowing, though. I hope we don't have to go as far as getting divorced, but I will do whatever it takes to protect my children and myself from being financially devastated - at least as much as I can. There is only so much I can do - although there are a lot of things I would like to do! I will let you know how it all turns out.

D
DAW Offline
D
I am going through the same thing. I was told in my state that it was divorce on nothing. I didnt know that maybe I can file and still live with H. Thank you for giving me other hope. I dont want to get divorced but it seems like it would be good for me because I might be able to get some help to go to college. Otherwise I wouldnt be able to go. Im sad that you have to go through all of this just to protect yourself and your family for something that you did not do.
Good luck! Tell us how it goes! I need support also. You can help me. My thoughts are with you!

R
R
fortheboys, each state had established amounts that one pays for child support.

It depends on how many children, here in Illinois iit is 20 percent for one child, 28 for two and up to 40 percent.

Here, you pay that percentage after taxes, medical insurance, I guess it would be easier to say, his take home pay.

If you H is not living in the home, also get it established at that point the visitation and such as the D can drag out a very long time and that will clear up issues for you in the future.

Also check into what he is responcible for as far as the mortgage, utilities and such things as credit card accounts. Notify your credit card companies that you are no longer for any further charges as of that date, some spouses have been know to run the cards up knowing that they are jointly responcible to pay them off, make a list of question you have PRIOR to going into the court room, it is a very emotional time for you and you dont want to forget things in the confusion. I did not see if you had a attorney or not, DO GET ONE, for you own protection.

Good luck.

DaRookie

F
OP Offline
F
I feel pretty comfortable with how the CS is worked out, its the spousal support I have questions about. Is that a %? What questions does the judge ask to determine amount of spousal support? I don't need a lawyer, b/c this is not a divorce and we are not fighting about anything. My H has agreed to pay spousal support, but the judge has to determine the amount. That is the part I have questions about.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,115 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation