Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#856291 03/19/00 12:48 PM
Y
Y
First and foremost, you have to be READY to lose the weight. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Prepare your mind.....<BR>And it sounds like you really want to.....<P>As for drinking water? Add a couple slices of lemon.... and get used to taking a bottle of water with you everywhere you go..... eventually... I began to miss the water if I forgot it... and it DOES make a huge difference while dieting....<P>I went on an awesome diet after I had my last child..... IT WORKED!!! I went from a size 13 to a size 6! After three weeks I noticed a huge difference! I didn't think of it as a diet because I would make the portions of food and sit down to eat and think...... WOW.... This is too much!!<P>In October of 1998, I weighted 142....(I am 5'5") I tried to diet my own way and only lost a total of about 8 pounds by February 1999. Then I went back to the original diet plan that I had bought a copy of and.... bought an inexpensive treadmill....<P>This made all the difference in the world!!! I now weigh (and have since May 1999..) 121 lbs and haven't had any problems gaining back unless I STOPPED walking!!! The key to the treadmill is to stick with walking at a speed of 3 miles per hour for 30 minutes...<P>I did it daily.... When I started out I went 10 minutes... then 15... the 20 and so on.. until I hit the 30 minute mark... Listening to my favorite music... and walking to the beat. <P>Sometimes, I pushed it up for a run for a couple minutes at a time but I always managed to keep the the fat grams lost up to 80 grams per walk. It usually got to that at the 30 minute mark... <P>I would eat a big mac and know that I had at least worked it off after my walk.... I never felt guilty if I ate something fattening... I knew I would either walk it off or walk off more than enough. Each day... I knew I was walking off more than I was taking in.... <P>HEY! I am here to tell you that I was in my victoria secret t backs after that and didn't worry about my H seeing me naked!!! I felt so good about myself... <P>I swear.... It was the most awesome diet and easiest exercise program I ever came across... and It worked!!! It is basically a low fat diet.... and hey.... I walked off 10 times the fat grams I was taking in.....<P>Good luck to you.... Look forward to the day when you can look at your self in the mirror and say... "Wow.... I look GOOD!!!!" The feeling is awesome!!<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Lacee (edited March 19, 2000).]

#856292 03/20/00 01:28 AM
K
Keosha Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all the great ideas. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I like the "write successes on a calendar" idea. <P>I have all the things I need to do this. Weights (several sizes)<BR>Treadmill<BR>exercise videos<BR>several cases of bottled water<BR>No junk food in the house (never bought any except the jerky)<BR>Cookbooks (In the kitchen with Rosie) and many others<P>My problem is <B>will power</B>. I'll start and go at it with everything I can, then drop off and quit walking, quit trying. I think I quit because 1. don't see results quick enough or 2. get depressed and don't care anymore.<P>I think I'll make it this time. This time I'm doing it for <B>me</B>, not for H. <P>I'm going to go back to the store and buy that dress. I'll hang it in the kitchen and look at it every time I go to get a soda pop or some other fattening thing to eat.<P>Thanks buddies... I knew I could count on you to help me do this.<P>Keo<P>

#856293 03/20/00 01:46 AM
R
R
Okay, maybe you'll hate me for this but can I have the extra inches?<P>I wish you the best of luck Keo. Maybe I should start my own thread for anyone who needs to gain weight......Any suggestions, anyone? I'll need to find that cheescake recipe.<P>I always found that it was better for me to judge my 'shape' by the way my clothes fit, not how much I weighed - because my weight doesn't seem to have much to do with what size I wear. I think hanging the dress by the refrigerator is great idea!!

#856294 03/19/00 03:09 PM
S
S
Keosha,<P>I don't know if this will help you or if you want to try it but I did loose 25 pounds in about 2 months or so. Yes the infidelity diet was in play too but, this is what worked and really gave me energy.<P>The book "Eat Right 4 Your Type" by D'Adamo Whitney. It talks about eating the correct way for your blood type. It really worked for me and I woke up with new found energy. I felt physically better and younger than I had in years. I am a type O and that is the most restrictive. <P>Check it out! I am sure you can order it online at Amazon and I know most health food stores have it. <P>Sadly I am not following it now but, do have plans to start it again. I really think it is the key.<P>Good luck and let us know which diet you end up following. I hate formal excercise but need to get back into that too. At nearly 48 I am lucky I look as good as I do. If I excersized I am sure I would look and feel better too. Yikes lady now you got me thinking. LOL [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<BR><B>God bless you and all of us. We are all going to make it, all of us! With God on our side we can't lose. What God has joined together let no man put asunder. <P>Samantha</B>

#856295 03/20/00 08:44 AM
D
D
Well, Keo, I weigh about what you do and I'm a lot shorter.<P>First things first...patience. You didn't put it on overnight, you won't take it off overnight.<P>Atkins and other high-protein diets may take the weight off quickly, but the minute you put a carbo in your mouth, it will come back on.<P>The key (and I'm better at talking about it than following it) is to change the way you eat and live....eat what you want, but less of it; exercise more. <P>And keep in mind that us shorties have a tougher time because we DON'T lose weight on 1200 calories a day.

#856296 03/20/00 10:03 AM
Y
Y
Keo,<BR>Truly the best "diet" is called "Weigh Down" by Gwen Shamblins. There are home groups going on all over that are a great support or she has a book out that goes over the principles. The basic idea is to listen to your body. Make a committment to eating only when you are hungry and stopping when you are full. Don't eat everything you put on your plate. You can eat whatever you want when you are hungry, just stop when you are full. I have lost 20 lbs and went from a big size 10 down to a 6. This is something that you can do for the rest of your life, not something you have to deny yourself of to lose the weight. She calls it eating like a thin person and it really works. I would recommend this one over any other that I have come into contact with because she bases it on Godly principles. Get the book, get into a group, whatever but this one will change your life and you'll lose weight [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

#856297 03/20/00 10:33 AM
T
T
Weight has been an issue for me since the birth of my second child. I started working out and firmed up, but didn't lose the weight. I tried eating right, but like you, I have NO willpower when it comes to food. I have read up on everything there is to know about diet and health, and here is what I have come up with..........<P>Exercise is very important and must be done a minimum of 3-4 times a week, for a minimum of 30 minutes. I would suggest taking a 30 minute moderately fast walk, followed by ab exercises. <P>Water is very important. You must cut out sodas and drink water mostly. <P>Food: AH, here is the problem. The dieticians will tell you to cut down on carbohydrates. Carbs tend to make you crave sweets. Potatoes and carrots turn to sugar when digested. Cut down on your portions of food, blah, blah, blah. <P>After 4 years of doing all this crap and not getting anywhere, I've just stopped eating. My H and I are going through some hard times, which has really screwed with my self esteem and I have just stopped eating. The weight is coming off - 10 pounds in one week!<P>Herbalife will help with your energy and hunger. I really like the stuff! I'm using herbalife in conjunction with dexatrim. I exercise a minimum of 30 minutes EVERY day, I do abs (my problem area) twice a day - 100 situps in the morning and evening. It has made a difference.<P>One thing about working out for the last 4 years - my endurance has shot through the roof. I can out aerobicize anybody! My next goal is to start running. Have you seen how those runners look? They're all thin and anorexic looking (except you can see their muscles). But I lost 30 pounds after my first child, just by walking and doing ab work. You could start there. Good luck!!

#856298 03/20/00 10:50 AM
S
S
Keo, I too have tried many ways. Don't waste money on any of the get thin quick junk in the mail. Yes, I did.<P>For most of us stress causes a gain. We gotta enjoy life more, you know, like the French. Ever wondered why the portions are so small at French restaurants. They eat slowly, enjoy it, savor it. So they eat less!<P>Find an exercise you enjoy. Weight training is the best overall, and I found a way to do it I enjoy. At my gym, they offer classes in Powerflex. Much more fun than doing it alone!

#856299 03/20/00 06:39 PM
K
Keosha Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks again you all.<P>Today I've done a pretty good job of it.<P>No "pigging out" (one small piece of angelfood cake) but I've heard it's not as bad as other cake.<P>Only 1 soda pop. (can't quit them cold turkey)<P>excerised for 15 minutes. (need to work up to more)<P>Took the dog for a walk. (around the house 10 times) [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] I'll have to drive around the house and find out how far it is... LOL<P>I'm doing ok for the first day. I'm sure I'll get better at it as time goes by.<P>Keo<P>(spelling corrections)<p>[This message has been edited by Keosha (edited March 20, 2000).]

#856300 03/20/00 06:46 PM
M
M
Hey Keo!<P>Glad today went better!!! You didn't eat any beef jerky did you? If not, yippee!!<P>At least today you walked around the house instead of driving it!!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <P>Today was a GREAT start!!<P>Hugs, [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>Mitzi

#856301 03/20/00 07:14 PM
S
S
Keosha: I don't think you want my advise if you know my history. However, you want to make sure whatever you do is done in moderation and safely. Exercise and relaxation for both the mind and body is very important to your mental well being as well as physical. You can eat your balanced 3 meals a day or 5 small meals a day. Make sure to include protein, carbohydrates, and veggies(green,orange, yellow)fruit(sugar)dairy(calcium)and some fat in your diet plan. When the nutritionist developed a meal plan for me, she told me to eat protein for breakfast. Such as: small baked chicken breast, wheat toast w/jam, fruit, milk or egg, wheat toast w/jam, juice, milk(yes I had to eat the yolk) The protein not only helped with muscle recovery from all the exercise I do, but helped keep me fuller longer(prevents binging). For snack: low fat yogurt or 5 crackers with peanut butter or slice cheese squares. Lunch: 1/2 sandwich(protein of your choice, bread, veggies) more raw veggies, fruit or cookie, skim milk, Afternoon snack: graham crackers w/peanut butter or cheese. Supper: Baked chicken or fish, sweet potato, salad, cooked greens, dessert. Also, the peanut butter, cheese, a tab of butter can count as your fats. Remember this menu was designed for me because of my eating disorder. Of course, I fell off the wagon and now I live on Ensure with my biggest meal at lunch. So much for my advise. Don't stress over the scale (big mistake) You are losing weight for your health. Remember your body is designed to function and survive. It will retaliate if you deprive it of the minerals and vitamins it needs to survive. Good luck to you.

#856302 03/20/00 07:30 PM
K
Keosha Offline OP
OP Offline
K
sobeit<P>why did you say that? <P>of course I want your advice too (your advice makes since)<P>It probably doesn't show in my posts here, but I like everyone, the whole world is full of my friends that I haven't met yet!<P>It don't matter if your tall, short, fat, skinny, red, blue, green, black, white, or a combination of all of the above. I still like you (unless your H's OW) [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>thanks for adding your post<P>Keo

#856303 03/20/00 07:56 PM
S
S
Keosha: No, I am not your spouses OW. However, I was the OM's OW. Someplace I do not want to be again. Thank you for including me as your friend.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation