Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
The Eyes of the Heart<P>There are a lot of ways to say "I quit!" "Throw in the towel," "chuck it," or "hang it up" just touches the surface of our feelings when we're ready to shout, "I've had it and I'm not going to do this anymore!"<P>And how many times have we felt that way about living as a Christian? When the hassles and disappointments and discouragements pile up, we're tempted to forget the whole thing. Maybe that's why a lot of Scripture deals with how to avoid "losing heart."<P>When Paul faced circumstances that threatened to overwhelm him, he gave us his secret for being renewed from the inside out: "We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:18).<P>The writer of Hebrews challenged us to "fix our eyes on Jesus" so that we "will not grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:3).<P>But how can we focus our eyes on what we can't see? The key seems to involve learning to look through the eyes of our heart. "I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe" (Ephesians 1:18-19).<P>To look with the eyes of our heart is to see beyond the people and situations that seem to thwart God and His will. Instead of giving in to discouragement because of what we see on our campus, in our families, or in our own lives, we find fresh energy and vision to live for Christ because we see Him.<P>About ready to hang it up? Take a fresh look at life, and at God, through the eyes of your enlightened heart. --DM<P>REFLECTION<P><BR>What recent situation caused me to feel like quitting as a Christian? <BR>If I were able to see setbacks and disappointments through the eyes of my heart, what might I see? <BR>What is one way that I can fix my eyes on Jesus today? <BR>Jesus finished His course to help me finish mine.<P>------------------<BR>God Bless,<BR>Rob<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by professorg (edited August 11, 1999).]

M
M
Thanks Rob!<P>We have to look at the "big picture" don't we????<P>That's my next step. I have to stop focusing inward now and look out (and UP!) for the healing to be complete.<P>What's past is past ... I can't change that. What I CAN change is how I live my life from this point forward. To focus on God and His love, mercy, forgiveness .... to share that with others.<P>And then to redecorate my house.

F
F
Just what I needed this morning.<P>I also like the verse about "Do not become weary with doing good, because at the appointed time you will be rewarded if you do not give up." (Can't find it right now, so this may not be word for word)<P>I also like that God promises to use the measure that we give to others.<P>I am reading a very interesting, but very deep book, Marriage Builders by Dr. Larry Crabb. It is extremely thought provoking, I can usually read a few pages at a time so I can digest all of it. It boils down to Christians relying first on the goodness of God in their marriages. It talks about needs in a much different perspective. I would recommend it to augment the more practical advise of other books. It makes you really think about your purpose in the marriage relationship.<P><P>------------------<BR>Faith, Hope, Love Remain,<BR>but the greatest of these is Love.<BR>1 Corinthians 13:13

S
S
Thank you, Rob.<P>Like many here, I think my faith has been tested through this ordeal. Many times I felt Christ had given up on me only to realize I gave up on Him. He has always been there for me. I need to give Him the honor and glory He deserves for helping me through this. <P>You maintain a strong Christian perspective through your situation and I highly admire you for that. Whether you know it or not, you are helping many of us Christian who are struggling with our faith to keep our focus where it should be - on Christ.<P>God Bless,<P>SHA<p>[This message has been edited by Sir Hurts Alot (edited August 11, 1999).]

Y
Y
Without Christ, I know that my marriage would have become another statistic. My pride would have demanded that I get rid of the bum! I have caused Christ so much grief and yet he forgives me, I am trying to do the same for my husband (although I am not perfect like Christ and fail horribly) God will get us through this whole thing!! Thanks for the scriptures.

N
N
Thank you for the words of encouragement. It's by the grace of God that I'm holding together at all.

C
cl Offline
C
thanks prof! I will keep rereading these, but I really am back to believing that god has nothing to do with this mess tonight.

U
U
Prof....Thank you for your insight! I alway seek to find and keep Christ first, but the mud gets so thick sometimes ya can't see through it...<BR> Maya I too am home decorating to keep me busy, and FHL I think I could use another book!!!<P>I appreciate you all and wanted to say so!<P>cozy

H
H
There is one thing that I can count on. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. No matter what my situation is, He is the same. Sometimes what matters is realizing that God may not have anything to do with creating our situations, but he has a great deal to do with the resolution. We have a great tendency to take things into our own hands and later call on God to help clean things up. But that is the nature of God. If we are sincere when we call on Him, He is faithful to honor our request. Prof, good words, wonderful thoughts. Thank You. <P>------------------<BR>Working to Resolve and Rebuild.

E
E
professorg -- I have been trying to catch up after returning from vacation, and read your thread. Very thought provoking, thank you.<P>I think I read somewhere here that you used to do some ministering? You you mind if I sent you an E-Mail? I have some questions directly relating to religion and infidelity, and I would like your ideas on them.<P>My E-Mail is MB_Empty_Shell@hotmail.com <P>God Bless

T
T
Professorg,<P>THANK YOU for this encouragement. I have been sort of looking around this weekend, and not up. <P>CL,<P>Because we know that God is sovreign, sometimes we think he is in on the plan to "test" us by destroying our marriage. But God isn't like that. His character is all Good, and not into tests like that. He is like a father who wants to hold us, and help us. Sometimes he disciplines us too!<P>But the affairs your husband had are directly related (IMO) to a possible generational curse - and he is fighting not only a sexual battle but a spiritual battle. Your prayers and trust in God can help your husband overcome this evil. <P>Our God is a good God, hates divorce, and loves you soooo much. Trust him. <P>God Bless you with unseen faith.<BR>Connie

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all. It is good to know that I am allowing His light to shine through me. I give Him all the glory, honor, and praise for keeping me sane and for loving my W. I will always love her unconditionally because He gives me the wherewithall to do it. Lately I have been feeling weak and wanting to throw in the towel but He always provides me with some encouragement whether it be here, listening to the radio, or in my daily Bible reading. He is always on time.<P>Empty Shell, I sent you and email from work which includes my home email addresses. <P><P>------------------<BR>God Bless,<BR>Rob<P><BR>

P
OP Offline
P
Just moving this up to the top.<P>------------------<BR>God Bless,<BR>Rob<P><BR>

N
N
Thanks Prof, I really enjoy reading your posts they are uplifting as they are moving. I admire the courage and strength you have found through Jesus, it is amazing how he can provide us with whatever we need in our time of need.<P>God knows how to lead us up to crisis, and He knows how to us through<P>God Bless<P>I thought you might like to read my post from a few days back entitled "For All of You" its a prayer for all my brothers and sisters struggling right now.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation