Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear ALL,<P>I was at a hair salon having my head massaged and thinking about all you MBers and how the betrayed can get out of the depression that made each day so tough and the world suddenly so distant. It is as if we are merely existing after being 'killed' by the betrayal and making sense of the murder our marriage went through.<P>I remember one wise MB member advised me not to 'let the mistake define my husband'.<P>I would like to add "Do not let your spouse's failure define YOU."<P>Godspeed<BR>weep

L
L
Weep,<P>Those statements are very profound and very difficult, I think!<P>Lately I have been trying to look at my H as a human who makes mistakes. It's hard though not to define him based on his lies and deception and be okay with those traits.<P>I have done some reading on alcoholism (something else we struggle with) and I have difficulty in looking at his addictions as a disease that he can't control. I have difficulty accepting his lies as part of the disease. <P>I'm told not to take the lies personally, but how do I NOT! At times I feel our problems are bigger than life and I'm just not strong enough to continue on.<P>I do question myself in all this - in my ability to rely on my decisions and choices. Am I that bad at "reading" a person to allow them to walk all over me continually?<P>I know I'm not making any sense, but I thank you for the topic!<P>God Bless!<P>Karen

B
B
Karen, look into finding a local Alanon group. It is specifically designed to help family, friends and spouses of alcoholics. It helps A LOT! Try it out. The support and the fact that everyone is going through what you have to deal with. It even helps you to come to forgive a past alcoholic relationship like with a parent. It is designed to help you find and define your respect for yourself. To love yourself and to not let his illness be your identity.<P>Weep-<BR>As to the other topic, yes I agree and am wroking hard to find myself and not feel like a failure in this A. It is my H's inability to confront problems that sent him to find another less stressful relationship. Instead of trying to solve our problems, he left the problems behind. I know now that I have a part in it, my depression that really did not go away since we moved to AZ, but I also know that he gave up long before he started the A. He never gave us the chance to try and repair our problems, that is HIS shortcoming--I tried all along! <P>The failure is his, but I do forgive. I wish he could forgive himself enough to let the OW go, and return to making our marriage all it could be! I have the faith, even with the pain of utter betrayal, I wish his faith was as strong. Maybe it will one day!

W
weep Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Dear Lady K and B,<P>Sorry for not replying sooner as my baby was hospitalised last week and now fine and discharged.<P><BR>I believe that wise sayings are coping mechanisms to help us with living a more joyful, peaceful and full life. These perspectives enable us to see and rationalise away undeserved and unpredictable hurts and actions of others that make a mess of our lives and souls. It is so human to fall under the tragedy of a spouse's affair because we are rejected and feel our roles have been made redundant.<P>We come under the umbrella of protection of our husband's strength and responsibility. He becomes accountable to God as head of the house to protect us and the children. We are helpmeets to our husband. That is one of the reasons that we are devastated when we find our roles have been violated and our world turned upside down. Instead of protection from our husbands, we are lied to and deceived and even replaced by some piece of nothing. <P>How in the world can a woman scorned be rid of her rage and fury? How can she be healed of the ultimate betrayal?<P>I am going through a long process of healing to find my way out of the wilderness back into the light. I had the help of family and church pastors and now counselling (without my H's blessings). My WS and I were jointly counselled by a church pastor to help me understand the affair. I also went to a healing ministry and was healed of my emotional trauma (violence, rage, suicidal thoughts and tendencies, etc.). We started bible study classes and we commit each other to God. I am now doing individual counselling to help me move on in my life and to help me make sense of the scary affair. I also start looking at the world through more 'practical' eyes and no longer ached for my H's approval and presence which leaves me more time for constructive things.<P>"Do not define your husband by his mistakes:"<BR>In the beginning it was very difficult not to see him as a hateful pile of lying trash. In order to accept WS back as a person, and to cope with having such a piece of bull in my life, I had to think about other qualities that made him something else, such as a good father. If not, I might as well divorce him because I cannot cope.<P>"Do not let your spouse's failure define you:"<BR>I feel this is paramount if we were to become whole again and not let ourselves or others (including unrepentant WS) deceive us into thinking we were at fault and we were the reason they had the affair. Although my WS said that it was a scheming evil thing that got him, I nonetheless felt I must have failed in some way - I was too trusting and I was too blind to WS's faults, ie, shouldn't have married him in the first place. But all these are under the bridge now. What is important is that the MAIN FAULT lies with the WS and his character flaw/s. It is the job of a WS-to-be to communicate the problems within the marriage before throwing themselves in another's arms. Even if there was no premeditation, it still points to the WS's lack of commitment and responsibility which is also his/her failing.<P>Of course there are rotten marriages without affairs as there are good marriages that had been destroyed by affairs. There are also repentant and unrepentant WS. It seems that affairs are as diverse as WSs. We do ourselves the favour by picking up and going, we care for our parents by taking our tattered lives back and slowly mending ourselves. For me, I take that life back and hand it to God to help me become whole again, and I will rest in His care and trust in His love and pray that He get my WS to see not only the errors of his ways but to start nurturing me and the marriage back to complete health.<P>PS. B, <BR>It is precisely my WS's lack of faith and FEAR in God that caused him to become so drunk and to be unable to FLEE when the evil thing was in his bed. Now that he knows there is a true God because he experienced first and second hand the power and grace of God. If I had being more alert to this lack of faith I should be better off not marrying him. I was deceived even before marriage. So the next best thing is that he learns within the marriage and become the godly man that I had hoped for.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation