Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Welp, all you members in the Pac NW, KOMO channel 4 news on Monday, 5/6/2002 @ 5:00 and 11:00p is airing information on detecting infidelity in your marriage.<p>Are we going to see a rash of programs sprouting up simply to hype this new movie "Unfaithful"?<p>I mean, it's a good thing, but it's sad it's for the wrong reason .... $$$$.<p>Your thoughts?<p>Jo<p>[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>

T
T
Not just this movie, there is another one coming out too...don't remember the name of it, just remember seeing the trailer the last time I saw a movie. It seemed to me all the trailers were about infidelity...I almost didn't make it to the movie.<p>There are also a few sit-coms out right now "Watching Ellie" and "the Job" that are about this. <p>Don't know if it's just me, but it seems to be everywhere I turn these days.

F
F
The movie "Infidelity". I'm having kind of a hrd time figuring out which direction it is supposed to go. Is it like a WW/OM "Fatal Attraction"? I kind of got that impression. I actually like movies that show what a mess an A can cause. Of course living it wasn't fun at all. Luckily we didn't own a bunny....

N
N
Here's my thought:<p>AAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKK<p> [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img]

H
H
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,personally I am hoping the OW in my life will watch the movie-although I am sure she won't-and maybe feel just a little piece of my pain. I myself want to see it-maybe I can learn something yet-after almsot 3 long years I still live with it daily. Funny that I do-my life isn't near as bad as so many here. I outta slap myelf silly [img]images/icons/frown.gif" border="0[/img]

N
N
i think there is hope for my hubby-we were in the kitchen and the tv in family room was on(the rooms are connected)and the commercial for the movie came on-i didnt say anything-he changed the channel on his own. he does protect me in some was-i guess this is a start.

W
W
Maybe we should pool our talents and write a screenplay for a flick depicting the lifecycle of a typical hard core affair - all the way from inception, to rejection, thru deception (possibly conception?), insurrection, and finally to it's destruction.<p>Here's the hard part - since it would focus on the WSs - we'll have to cover all the bases - drama, fantasy, comedy, AND science fiction.<p>WAT

W
W
yep...and the Today Show is starting their week-long thing on infidelity today. Lifetime had Adultry day yesterday [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img] and the commercials for that were horrible...caught me off guard on Friday and knocked me on the ground. Two good things happened due to that though... WH told me how sorry he was for hurting me so bad and I admitted to him that the "old" me would just try to hurt him just as bad, but I know it's just my problem with processing the pain.

M
M
Well, if some programs like the *Today* show will provide some good information, and kick over this particular rock so that more people understand how prevalent this stuff really is, maybe it will do some good.<p>This is certainly America's dirty little secret and one of the last taboos to talk about - at least when it comes to the average person.<p>I just wish they'd explain to people how damaging this behavior really is, and that infidelity is *far* more than just having sex with someone outside of marriage. Too many people still think that as long as you don't do that, everything else is perfectly ok since you "didn't do anything."<p>Oh, and from what I have heard, the movie *Unfaithful* is about a wife who has a physical affair with a younger man. Her husband kills the OM when he finds out.<p>The movie *In the Bedroom* - nominated for several Oscars this year - is about a couple whose son gets involved with married, or recently divorced/separated, woman. Her abusive husband kills the son.<p>I'm waiting for *Attack of the Clones,* myself......<p>Psycho_B***h

I
I
WeR trying - Lifetime has "infedelity day" every day. Every time I flip past there it's either infedelity or abuse. Glad I only watch sports, lol.<p>psycho_b - "Spiderman" for me this week.

D
D
MILD SPOILER WARNING!!!<p>I have not seem this film, though I probably will. I do, however, know some people who have seen it, and they say it's laughably bad.<p>There was an article in the NY Times Arts and Leisure section on the film, in which the director states that the studio had pushed hard for there to be a sexual dysfunction in this marriage in order to give a "reason" for the infidelity, but that Adrian Lyne (director) wanted the marriage to be "perfectly happy" to show the "arbitrary nature of infidelity."<p>I think most of us here know that this is not the case; that most of us run up against temptation every day, but only if there's something missing or wrong at home do we lack the will to say no.<p>I wonder if this film is going to cause people to become more suspicious of their spouses? <p>I suspect that it will make a ton of money from a largely female audience. <p>The interesting twist, however, is that in the film, the husband kills the lover. That's all I know; I don't know what the consequences are.

M
M
<<<the director states that the studio had pushed hard for there to be a sexual dysfunction in this marriage in order to give a "reason" for the infidelity, but that Adrian Lyne (director) wanted the marriage to be "perfectly happy" to show the "arbitrary nature of infidelity.">>><p>Good. It's about time. People do this for one reason: because they want to. If the marriage was that lousy, they'd have ended it long ago. But most of them don't. Most of them struggle just as long as they possibly can to have both the marriage *and* the side dishes.<p><<<I think most of us here know that this is not the case; that most of us run up against temptation every day, but only if there's something missing or wrong at home do we lack the will to say no.>>><p>???Not sure what you're saying here - but I can tell you, in my case there was nothing "missing or wrong" at home. My husband just didn't see any reason to pass up what the other women were offering, too. And he still can't understand why his harmless fun destroyed our marriage.<p>Psycho_B***h

F
F A Offline
F
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr><strong>......in the film, the husband kills the lover.</strong><hr></blockquote><p>At least there is some redeeming value in the movie......J/K [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

R
OP Offline
R
Well, if their (the couple in the movie) marriage really has no badly unmet needs on either side, then I guess we can assume the wife (WS) failed to protect herself and their marriage from the adultery, no?<p>That is, if you look at it from an MB point-of-view.<p>Jo

D
D
Well, this should make for some interesting discussion after the movie opens.

R
OP Offline
R
Personally, I'm happy this movie is giving Adultery all this visibility. I certainly hope ex-H and OW are affected by it.<p>I can't imagine what they think or say to one another when a Infidelity commercial or whatnot occurs .... do you think they don't "GET IT?" Do they say ... wow, how horrible, hope that doesn't happen to our marriage ....<p>GOOD GAWD!

W
W
Anybody know what planet the OM was from?

O
O
This happened in real life in my area but it has all the makings of a movie like "Unfaithful".<p>A woman who lives in a town in the next county was having an on-line affair with a man who lived in San Diego, CA. The accusation was that the woman conspired with the OM to murder her husband. The OM arranged for the job to be done by yet another man. He drove from San Diego and shot the BS.<p>The woman was charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. She was aquitted. The men were found guilty of somewhat lesser charges, as I recall.

WAT:<p>"Here's the hard part - since it would focus on the WSs - we'll have to cover all the bases - drama, fantasy, comedy, AND science fiction."<p>We could get the Jim Hension people to make up the WS to look like Rigel (sp?) on Farscape or something. You know, alien abductee metaphor?<p>Then air the movie on the SciFi channel (which I pronounce "Skiffy") [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img]

D
D
Well, here's what I read on a messageboard from someone who went to an advance screening:<p>- Adrian Lyne is back to his thematic home turf: rich white people wreaking hell on their marriages with creepy strangers FOR NO APPARENT REASON<p>- In the learn-something-new-every-day category: apparently, when a woman murmurs "no," that's girl-code for "keep undressing me, you unwashed bohunk"<p>- Who the h*** is Olivier Martinez f**king?? What compromising blackmail photos does he have that he (1) gets billed above the title with Richard Gere and Diane Lane (2) gets cast as the sexual temptor with his weaselly eyes, Owen-Wilson-esque nose and messed-up teeth (3) gets cast at all, given that he couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag [and (4) participated in the commentary track for Before Night Falls, despite having a pretty minor part]<p>- when audiences laugh at sex scenes, that's a bad sign<p>- when audiences laugh at emotionally wrought scenes, that's an even worse sign<p>- after about an hour and 45 minutes, [companion] began checking her watch, I began muttering, "End. End. The power of Christ compels you to end NOW," and audience members were squirming audibly. Hell, I checked the messages on my cell phone while the movie was still sputtering toward the finish line. <p>It was even more horrible than either of us had anticipated, and that's saying a LOT.
----------------------------------
So gee, I wonder what she thought of the film? [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img]<p>[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Dazed and Confused ]</p>

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation