Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Thread Like Summary
happyheart
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by builderjane
builderjane
I’m married to a person who has a lot of wonderful qualities (kind, hardworking, affectionate, wonderful dad), but is extremely limited in his interests (his job, and one particular sport), and they have stayed the same his entire adult life. He thinks and talks about tasks. His questions are about tasks (“what did you do today?”) He is a habit driven repetition machine who is prone to repeating the same bits of conversation day in and day out.

I feel so disconnected and lonely. I have wide-ranging curiosity and passion, particularly about social/political/economic issues. His knowledge base on these subjects is extremely limited. In an article on this site about addressing boring conversations, two bits of advice were to show curiosity and interest in each other. I struggle to feel ongoing curiosity and interest toward the same two topics he’s interested in, as his answers are practically scripted. He doesn’t have much innate curiosity and interest in anything but these two topics. We’ve been to months of therapy and gotten nowhere. I wish I could say about him, “I love to know what’s on his mind, I love to talk with him about all the interesting things going on in our world,” but that’s not the case at all. I dread talking with him because he’s not really able to have an in-depth, well-informed conversation as an equal. Our conversations devolve into my catching him up on basic info.

Would you have any advice for our situation?
Liked Replies
by ben
ben
Wow I would think in today's COVID world there would be infinite topics relating your passion for politics and society to your husbands role in medicine. It seems you both have desire to serve mankind. How about a volunteer organization or community food bank. I personally find giving back a great way to connect and gain connection especially with your spouse.
1 member likes this
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation