Marriage Builders
MAN & WIFE SHOOT EACH OTHER AT MARRIAGE COUNSELING <P>CALL IT the least successful marriage counseling session of all time -- Michael and Bonnie Martin both pulled out guns and shot each other! <P>When the smoke cleared, Bonnie was lying on the floor with a bullet hole in her stomach. Her husband had bullet wounds on his face and shoulder. <P>And the terrified marriage counselor was hiding behind a couch. <P>"Talk about a counseling session -- it was more like the gunfight at the OK Corral!" Michael's attorney Michael Idiart said. <P>Both Bonnie and Michael have now recovered. And a year later, incredibly, they say they're still very much in love! <P>Bonnie, 36, wed Michael, a 43-year-old truck driver, when she was just 18. They had three children. <P>But the Fresno, Calif., couple's life together was anything but blissful. Michael was jailed six times for spousal abuse and Bonnie filed for divorce three times, then changed her mind. <P>Michael had "started doing drugs and drinking heavily," Bonnie said. "And he began carrying a gun." <P>Bonnie took the teenage children and moved out. <P>"After I left him, he told me he was going to kill himself -- and me. <P>"I started carrying a gun." <P>Bonnie got Michael to agree to attend a marriage counseling session at St. James Episcopal Cathedral in Fresno, with Russell Willingham of New Carriages Marriage Services. <P>She showed up for the session, and waited in a small office with the counselor. <P>"Michael comes bursting into the room," Bonnie recalled. "He had a bottle of beer in his hand. I couldn't see his gun, but I knew he had it. He said my mom had just called the police on him and he'd been in a high speed chase. He was really mad. <P>"He was pacing back and forth. He got to the corner and stopped. He was cussing and yelling and then he said: 'There's going to be trouble.' <P>"I thought he was going to go for his gun and shoot me, so I pulled my gun out of my purse and shot him. The bullet hit him in the shoulder. I fired again. The bullet nicked the side of his face." <P>Michael pulled his gun out of his waistband and fired four shots. One bullet hit Bonnie in the stomach, knocking her to the floor. <P>The marriage counselor dove for cover behind the couch. <P>"I screamed at Michael: 'You shot me. I'm going to die,'" said Bonnie. <P>"Michael knelt down beside me and held me in his arms. He was saying: 'I love you, Bonnie. You're going to make it.' <P>"I was angry because the blood from the wound on his face was dripping onto my hair. I said: 'Get off me!' " <P>Bonnie and Michael were rushed to the hospital -- in separate ambulances. <P>Michael was charged with assault with a deadly weapon and spousal abuse. <P>"The reason he was charged and not Bonnie is that the prosecution maintains he shot her first, which we dispute," said Michael's attorney. <P>Michael was sentenced to eight years in prison. <P>But Bonnie vows to stand by her man. <P>"People might think I'm a fool, but I'll be there for him when he gets out. I love him. He's my husband -- and I want him back." <P>
I'm always pretty slow - is this a joke or a true story????
It does sound like one of those stories that get passed around (particularly on the web) and go by the term "urban myths." (The last one I saw was about a guy who supposedly had his kidneys hijacked at a party.) <P>The people who spread them always claim they're true stories (no offense, cuckold, but schizzo is probably right to be suspicious of the story's veracity - where did you get this, anyway?)<P>That said, it's still a funny story. And I thought couples counseling sessions with MY W were bad! Maybe this will start a new trend called "gun therapy"! <P>Regards and blessings,<P>--Wex
gun therapy....<P>I guess, this makes our counseling sessions termed "tame!!!!" <P>ROFLMAO
I saw this story reported on our local television news and read it in the newspaper about two years ago, so there must be some truth in it.<P>It does make our first counseling session seem quite uneventful in comparison!<P>Peppermint
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums