Marriage Builders
Posted By: psz0912 Doctor's Visit - 02/01/09 10:15 PM
I have a doctor's appointment this week and my wife is insisting on being in the exam room. I explained that while it's nice that she comes with me I would rather her not be in the exam room. I should be able to talk to my doctor privately. She says I am abnormal for that. Am I??
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Doctor's Visit - 02/01/09 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by psz0912
I have a doctor's appointment this week and my wife is insisting on being in the exam room. I explained that while it's nice that she comes with me I would rather her not be in the exam room. I should be able to talk to my doctor privately. She says I am abnormal for that. Am I??

How come you don't want her in there? Is it because the doctor is doing something embarrassing? Are you hiding something like an STD?

My H does not like me in the examining room when they are doing something embarrassing so I wait out in the lobby. But when it comes to discussing his ailment and the treatment he doesn't mind if I am there. But I am only there with mutual agreement.

Is it ok if she is there after the exam?

Btw, saying you are "abnormal" because you don't like it is disrespectful as hell. It doesn't matter why you don't like it, if you don't like it, you don't like it and she should respect that. Unless it is to hide something that directly effects her, such as an STD.
Posted By: CandyR Re: Doctor's Visit - 02/05/09 03:01 PM
I have never gone to my H's doc appt. I personally think that your H should be entitled to a private visit with his doc. I think any doc would agree with that also. He can share with you the results when he comes home or if you must, wait in the waiting room for him.

I think if you go he would feel like you are acting like his mother and that he is being treated like a little boy.

To be blunt don't bust his balls. Guys need to feel like they can take charge of their own life, their own health.
Posted By: black_raven Re: Doctor's Visit - 02/05/09 03:10 PM
Unless you are having an examination that involves something along the lines of a rubber glove and coughing, I don't see why your W can't be present. Other than those rare moments that require some privacy, I'm usually present with H when he has a doctor visit; more so for injury than illness unless the illness has been ongoing for some time and treatments have failed.

Posted By: CandyR Re: Doctor's Visit - 02/05/09 03:24 PM
Sorry if I was unclear. I meant the message for your wife. Feel free to share it with her. Thanks.

I have a large group of friends/family and have never heard of a W or H attending a doc appt unless it was for something life threatening.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums