Marriage Builders
Posted By: cinderella GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/11/01 11:02 PM
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you need to go to your local blood bank and stick out your arm.<P>Obviously, if there may be thousands of wounded people - many of the burn victims - there is going to be a critical need for blood. And if your local blood collection agency is affiliated with the American Red Cross, you can bet they will be calling for blood from all over the nation. Everything will be needed. And burn victims use lots of blood products. <P>Whole blood has a shelf life of a couple of weeks. Platelets have a shelf life of only 5 days. So, this will be an ongoing need. I went today to give blood and heard how long the wait was and then thought how much shorter the lines would be next week so I came back to my office to send this message to all my Marriage Builder friends. Please, please do this for all the mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, and children who are counting on you.<P>I'm putting my money where my mouth is by scheduling an appointment for plateletapheresis on Saturday. I figure I can give a unit of platelets every two weeks instead of whole blood every eight weeks. <P>
Posted By: Mitzi Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 01:16 AM
Jane-Elise,<P>I really wish I could give blood cause I would! But, I'm anemic.<P>The plane that crashed close to Pittsburgh was only about 1 1/2 hours from me! Too close for comfort! <P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: Butterfly Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 02:03 AM
Jane-Elise & Mitzi, <BR>It's been a while since I checked in here.. but I wanted to check up on my friends here.<BR>I went to give blood today, but I have to wait 2 weeks because of some meds I've been on. I scheduled an appointment too.<BR>Thoughts & Prayers for us all<BR>Dawnetta
Posted By: Anna2000 Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 02:09 AM
I can't give blood either. I weight 105 and they tell me I have to weight 110. Shouldn't there be an exception, I am only 5'0 tall and I am very small boned. GEEEZ!!!<P>ANNA
Posted By: Mitzi Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 02:27 AM
Hey Dawnetta!<P>Good to hear from you!<P>Mitz [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: cinderella Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 06:00 PM
Mitzi!!!! Dawnetta!!!!!<P>Oh, ladies, it is so good to hear from you.<P>Sorry you can't donate, Mitzi. BTW, the latest diplomatic mission went well. The queen hasn't been around lately. The princess could use her.<P>Butterfly, I'm glad you're going to go back. Maybe we could find you a spot in the kingdom of Caerlon. <P>Anyway, I'm moving this entreaty up.
Posted By: ela611 Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 06:07 PM
I want to give blood and have been trying to contact the Central Blood Bank to schedule an appointment but the lines are busy. I went to their web site and filled out a form to schedule an appointment. <P>I know what its like when blood is in demand. My cousin was in a near fatal car accident last November and lost every ounce of his blood. Everyone (family, friends and strangers) pulled together and donated blood in his name. Donating blood to people in need after this tragedy is my way of saying thank you for saving my cousin and I want to save someone else.
Posted By: peoplepleaser Re: GO GIVE BLOOD!!!!! - 09/12/01 06:09 PM
Hey,<P>I was going to give blood today but I was advised by our blood bank to wait. Due to tremendous outpouring of support, the blood supply is temporarily sufficient. They did take names so that I could be called when the supply got lower and donations were needed. <P>I just thought I would pass this along for 2 reasons:<P>1.) it shows what a great and giving people Americans are and how quickly we join together to come to the aid of the needy <P>and <P>2.) it might save some fellow MB a long wait in a line at the blood bank.<P>I would call first of course because some areas may have more urgent needs but I hope this helps!<P>Lynn<BR>
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums