Marriage Builders
Posted By: furryninja communicating while in counseling - 12/06/03 09:55 PM
My wife and I have just begun marriage counseling. To summarize our problems: my wife and I had a fight about 3 months ago, during the fight I threw her down onto the bed, hard. In the past she was in a very abusive relationship and promised herself that she would never be in one again. Throwing her down was very out of character for me, I have never even hit a man, let alone a woman. Anyway, since that night whe has not been able to trust me, but I did not find this out until about a week ago when she told me that she didn't think she loved me anymore. Like I said we have started counselling. I guess my question is what do I do know to make things comfortable for us to be together. It is so hard to come home and feel the numbness that she has towards me. I guess that I just could use some advise on how to get by without feeling depressed. It is hard to be in the same house with the one you love and know that she doesn't love you back. The counsellor said that while we are together we should try and keep the conversations light, but I can't seem to not think about us and that brings me down. Is there anything I can do? I think that there is hope for us to recapture what we had, but I don't want to ruin that by being impatient.
Posted By: mike_married Re: communicating while in counseling - 12/07/03 04:24 AM
furry,

Are there any alcohol/drugs involved? What circumstances led to you throwing her down on the bed hard?

Mike
Posted By: furryninja Re: communicating while in counseling - 12/08/03 06:11 AM
Yes there was alcohol involved, we had both been drinking. the marriage counsellor suggested that I stop drinking, which seemed like a good idea to me, so I've done that. We were arguing in the bedroom because I was jealous of her talking to an old boyfriend while we were out that night, I was in the doorway and she tried to push her way past me out of the room, I grabbed her and threw her backwards onto the bed. I grabbed hard enough to leave bruises where my hand was at on her ribcage.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums