Marriage Builders
Posted By: MelodyLane Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 05:01 PM
These are from 2007 and are so typical of affair marriages!

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=1772

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=1773
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 05:27 PM
I am standing up cheering for those adult children. Way to go!
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 05:31 PM
Regarding the adult children who won't have contact with their father because of his affairage to her:

"It's so hurtful!"

Typical wayward. *sigh*
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 05:41 PM
You can barely hear it, but that gentle thumping sound was Dr. H banging his head against the studio wall. grin
Posted By: reading Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 06:23 PM
I wonder what their marriage status is by now............
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 07:30 PM
I'm sure they're delighted to be together. After all, they were soulmates... MrRollieEyes
Posted By: swan's song Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 08:28 PM
She mention compromising her values in regards to him smoking any thinking sheeze get a clue woman.

Cheating on your spouse not a problem

Telling your ex married man/now husband to stop smoking, she compromising her values because she is an ex smoker and wants him to stop.
Posted By: markos Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by swan's song
She mention compromising her values in regards to him smoking any thinking sheeze get a clue woman.

Telling your ex married man/now husband to stop smoking, she compromising her values because she is an ex smoker and wants him to stop.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't even notice how hypocritical that was until you pointed it out!

(I've now listened to this clip about 4-5 times, too.)
Posted By: reading Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 10:33 PM
Well, I just hope that she didn't start smoking again herself think
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by swan's song

rotflmao I laughed when she said that!!
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Neak
You can barely hear it, but that gentle thumping sound was Dr. H banging his head against the studio wall. grin

I have no idea how Dr Harley and Joyce remain so calm with the crazies! I would bust a gasket for sure!!!
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 11:19 PM
That could be why neither of us has a radio show.

But I bet people would pay good money to listen if we did. rotflmao
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/30/12 11:20 PM
That could be why neither of us has a radio show.

But I bet people would pay good money to listen if we did. rotflmao

I would definitely listen. I love comedy shows.
Posted By: markos Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I have no idea how Dr Harley and Joyce remain so calm with the crazies! I would bust a gasket for sure!!!

In hundreds of hours of programming, I think we've heard one or two where Joyce or Dr. Harley actually does starting laughing.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:34 AM
What a whiner !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim, I'm talking to YOU. crybaby
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:35 AM
Kim could not stop arguing with Dr Harley when he told her that the first step is to stop arguing !!!!! rotflmao
Posted By: Viper Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Kim could not stop arguing with Dr Harley when he told her that the first step is to stop arguing !!!!! rotflmao
Those clips made me want to vomit. puke puke puke

And also LOL at the same time. I can't believe that some people can consider themselves victims of circumstances they created by their illicit and immoral actions.

Welcome to your wonderful creation! I hope you're enjoying your life as the perpetual OW!!!!!!

**EDIT**
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:56 AM
The Dervish and I had a conversation like that.

Me: Dervish, you are not to wash the dog tonight.
Dervish: But I would only be washing him, not actually...
Me: Dervish, you are not to wash the dog. Stop arguing.
Dervish: I'm not.
Me: You just argued. When I say not to argue and you disagree with me, that's arguing.
Dervish: No it's not.
rotflmao

It was a surprise to no one when the tired little teddy bear fell asleep a few minutes later. The way he was twitching, I suspect he was still arguing in his sleep.
Posted By: Neak Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:56 AM
That was tonight, BTW. But it happens often enough that it's not the great coincidence you might have thought.
Posted By: Viper Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 03:58 AM
Oh, and Pep, so glad you are feeling better and doing well. I don't dive off this board often (and am really not here as often as I would like to be) so had no idea with what you were dealing.

So very glad you are better. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: RidicSit Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 07:01 PM
That Kim chick is hilarious. unintentionally. LOL
Posted By: indiegirl Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 08:30 PM
That is just how I imagine my WH and OW would get along, should they ever be foollish enough to shack up.

Is it just me, or was his family a lot harder on him than hers and probably the only reason they made it to the altar was because she felt validated enough to pull thing on her own shoulders!? Even if he did smoke!?
Posted By: RidicSit Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 09:14 PM
She mentioned she was a lot younger- which made me think of OW in our sitch .

I found it interesting that she described her ex as wonderful and caring, but intellectually inferior to her big bad self.

She puts the lu in deluded.
Posted By: indiegirl Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by RidicSit
I found it interesting that she described her ex as wonderful and caring, but intellectually inferior to her big bad self.

I found the huge pause when Dr H asked what she didn't like about her ex rather telling. It was like she hadn't even considered - she had just followed the rainbow in search of greener grass! I thought her eventual answer sounded a bit made up. What a shame her family didn't lean on her more!

How clever was Dr H in just asking that one question and then dropping it! I bet that q tortured her all night.....
Posted By: RidicSit Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 10:04 PM
I hope it did. I think she realized she got the booby prize.

I am really proud of her current husband's
kids.
Posted By: CaliSun Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/31/12 11:08 PM
Bwahahaha....poor, poor Kim.
Posted By: reading Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 12:46 AM
His not seeing his kids is "causing a lot of pain"

for who?

Really, the AFFAIR and betrayel and destruction of the family is what caused a lot of pain (the the betrayed spouses and all the kids, even the ones who had therapy and spend time with wayward and betrayed folks.

I love that the Harleys do not show disrespectful judgements of people. They are great role models.
Posted By: savemymarr Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 04:10 AM
typical wayward mentality. karma sure is biyatch, isnt it? pretty interesting that Dr. H pointed out that in the case of wayward spouses the kids usually have a tendency to blame the man even w/ WW's and things are mitigated somewhat for the WW whereas WH's who get the full load of blame for themselves. would love to know whatever happened to this wonderful couple.

and then just listening to Dr. H ask about her xBH was priceless, especially when he inquired whether her xBH had remarried. and as indie mentioned above, Kim just couldnt find one thing she didnt really like about her xBH. it's typical. the kind of person the wayward is apparently looking for is not really what they wanted in the end. was it worth it? was it really?
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 06:15 PM
In those clips, Kim blames the fighting on her OM-H's problems with his children and "holding his feelings inside", blah blah blah, but what Dr Harley tries to tell her is that this is typical for affairages (renters).

He explains to her in the clip: "95% of all affairs die a natural death. Only 5% make it to marriage. Of those that become married, 70% get divorced and those 30% that remain married, generally are like your marriage. In other words, you are likely to keep fighting for the rest of your lives together unless we do something really radical."

This topic is very relevant to my situation as my children are being subjected to STBX and OW4 awful fighting (yelling, swearing, crying) A LOT. The kids' counselor has recommended that OW4 not be involved in any visitations for a period of time and STBX has agreed to anger management. I doubt it will help.

As my MB friend told me when I expressed my shock at STBX's abusive sounding relationship with OW4 (he's supposedly madly in love with her after all), this is typical for a renter's relationship. Dr Harley explains more about this in the cohabitation article.

As a result, instead of trying to blend their lives together by making win-win decisions that are mutually beneficial, they tend to make win-lose decisions that violate the Policy of Joint Agreement.

When they marry, each spouse tries to be on the winning end of each decision as often as possible. They fight for control which creates a very abusive relationship. Eventually they stop showing any consideration at all for each other, making completely independent decisions. A couple that may have appeared to be compatible when they first lived together, eventually become incompatible as their independent decisions and lifestyles destroy their love for each other.

When a problem arises, they don't usually consider win-win solutions that work for both of them. Instead, they regularly rely on win-lose solutions that involve sacrifice on the part of at least one partner. "I'll give in this time if it will make you happy."

This strategy can work if problems are few and relatively simple to solve. But as soon as life becomes complicated, the way it eventually gets when children arrive, win-lose strategies create frustration and resentment when sacrifice is required of a spouse. It invariably leads to fights -- who will be the one to sacrifice next? So, with the introduction of complex problems such as raising children, marriages based on a Renter's agreement become very abusive.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8110_cohabitation.html

Sorry to ramble. It still surprises me how bang on Dr Harley is with this stuff.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQ
He explains to her in the clip: "95% of all affairs die a natural death. Only 5% make it to marriage. Of those that become married, 70% get divorced and those 30% that remain married, generally are like your marriage. In other words, you are likely to keep fighting for the rest of your lives together unless we do something really radical."

And that something radical is to learn how to follow POJA. You just have to laugh because Kim clearly DOES NOT like the concept of POJA when Dr H tries to explain it to her.

Not surprising because that's exactly what Dr Harley says about people who have affairs...
I have a theory about why marriage after an affair is so unsuccessful, but the fact that they're unsuccessful is well documented. My main contention is that for whatever reasons, those who have affairs tend not to follow one of my cardinal principles for marriage: The Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse). They tend to do what they please without considering each other's feelings. While that may not apply to both members of the relationship, it almost always applies to at least one of them.
Affairages

Posted By: karmasrose Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 06:35 PM
Gee, I wonder why she doesn't like it...

Maybe because she's a selfish b@$*@...
Posted By: Pepperband Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 07:01 PM
You just have to laugh because Kim clearly DOES NOT like the concept of POJA when Dr H tries to explain it to her.

But
But
But

They are SCHMOOPIES !!!! crazy

If her affair-H would just do what she says (because her opinion is the right one), theirs would be a happy affairage. If Dr H only understood how right Kim's opinion is, he would not ask her to POJA. dramaqueen
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 07:02 PM
As my MB friend told me when I expressed my shock at STBX's abusive sounding relationship with OW4 (he's supposedly madly in love with her after all), this is typical for a renter's relationship. Dr Harley explains more about this in the cohabitation article.

I wanted to emphasize this part so others really GET IT. In Susie's marriage to her WS, they NEVER fought like that. But horrible fights with big scenes are the NORM in his affair.

Great post, Susie!
Posted By: indiegirl Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Gee, I wonder why she doesn't like it...

Maybe because she's a selfish b@$*@...

rotflmao

Originally Posted by Pepperband
They are SCHMOOPIES !!!! crazy

rotflmao

Hhahahaha. Kinda hard to whisper sweet nothings into your "soulmate's" ear, when nothing they do or say is to your liking and they are screaming like a banshee about how you aren't so hot either! How odd that someone you picked up while doped off your azz isn't suitable. Funny that.

I wanted to emphasize this part so others really GET IT. In Susie's marriage to her WS, they NEVER fought like that. But horrible fights with big scenes are the NORM in his affair.

Easy to see why isnt it. You've got the affair goggles on, you pick a smart, sexy, hard-done-by, honest-really, loves-you-so-much person who just UNDERSTANDS you so well, without words even! No pesky converations needed! An instant microwave meal of a relationship!

Then you wake up one cold morning and there's just a hungover cheater next to you, who is nothing like the person you wanted to be with at all. If that isnt bad enough they are giving you the same dead-eyed stare back.

They scream because they feel CHEATED out of the image they bought into. But they cheated themselves. It would be funny if it didnt hurt so many.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 07:57 PM

Yes, that is correct, that type of fighting/swearing etc did not occur in our M.

What was most baffling to me...STBX knows MB concepts!! We have read the books and did the online program together for heaven's sakes!

I guess Dr Harley explains this as well in the clip (paraphrasing):

"The illusion is the two of you are perfect for each other and that you love each other unconditionally, that you are so right for each other that this relationship won't require much effort."

My prediction: Now that reality is setting in that this relationship IS going to require work, he will blame all the relationship troubles on OW4 (like Kim, no way this has anything to do with him) and move on to OW5.
Posted By: My4Loves Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 09:08 PM
It is a renter's mentality with a vengance.

When you steal and get away with it ... you get accustomed to getting what you want and it doesn't matter whose expense it is at because as an adulterer they are entitled.

Their relationship is built on lies, deceit, but mostly the backs of the families they so gracefully threw away.

Kim's ego is the size of Texas ... "I did things better that my OM/H ... I take control ... I do what is necessary."

What she fails to realize is she does it at the expense of others. Now she is demanding her OM/H do things for her and she doesn't care about the cost ... it is "I want I want I want"

I love how Dr. Harley says to her "Just quick arguing ... you are going to let him do what he wants to do. You cannot control him."

But Kim cannot relinquish control because in "Reality" her life is out of control.

Did you notice how long it took her to tell Joyce what she didn't like about her "Ex-husband"? She couldn't name one thing for several seconds.

She has to control everything around her because her life is out of control. Until she stops and realizes she is the problem ... her life will continue to spiral down the path to Hell.

Happy Marriage Kim ... Wonder if she is divorced today.
Posted By: RidicSit Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 04/01/12 10:17 PM
Susie is so dead on correct. In recovery, and dealing with the issues- and learning about the soulmate schmoopie relationship my spouse was in with OW? It was volatile, and dramatic- big rescues needed, standing together against the cold cruel world, and awful horrible fights.

It was so weird- watching him dissect his "perfect " relationship as he defogged and became sane again. He is thoroughly embarrassed by his behavior and by things he said and did regarding the affair.

Our relationship ? Is nothing like theirs was. We have always been calm. I am calm. No big dramatic soap opera here.

My SIL? Has been married for 15 years to her affair partner. They are a typical pairing and exactly what Harley describes. They are all about being soulmates. And they fight like crazy people, my SIL has become a thing alcoholic , and my BIL? Has benefited for sexual harassment at work and continues to cheat.

They are awesome. And by awesome, I mean they totally suck.
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 05/12/12 01:58 AM
Here is a newer clip on affairages.
Radio clip on trust in an affairage
Posted By: czarne Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 03/03/13 10:48 PM
Loved the bit where Dr H explains the nature of the affair and what it really is: an illusion!!!
Reminds me of my husband telling me how OW is his soulmate, how they never seem to run out of subjects to talk about, how great she looks and how all other men are in love with her ( and how lucky he is).
My poor, pathetic, delusional and desorientated man.

Thank you for those clips.
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Affairage radio clips.... - 07/27/17 01:42 AM
A previous caller had emailed in a follow up. What do you call a marriage that comes out of an affair, according to people on the Marriage Builders forum the term "Affairage" has been suggested as a term to differentiate the difference between between a marriage where the couple meets the proper way versus the couple the marries the lover.

Radio Clip
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums