Marriage Builders
Posted By: black_raven The Book of Eli - 01/26/10 02:06 PM
Loved this movie. After seeing it, no wonder Hollywood hates it. cool
Posted By: penaltykill Re: The Book of Eli - 01/27/10 03:24 PM
We are going to see this one - either in the movies or on PPV. We see all Denzel Washington films.

But why does Hollywood hate it?

There have been a lot of end-of-the-world movies out lately. I'll chalk it up to Hollywood reading the Mayan calendar.

pk
Posted By: black_raven Re: The Book of Eli - 01/27/10 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by penaltykill

Because it's about God, hope, and faith.
Posted By: Suffering Re: The Book of Eli - 01/27/10 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by black_raven
Originally Posted by penaltykill

Because it's about God, hope, and faith.

yeah nobody seems to like those anymore frown
Posted By: drgnfly Re: The Book of Eli - 01/27/10 07:17 PM
I liked the movie too. Besides Denzel being the amazing actor that he is, it had a great message. I believe it could have done without some of the violence and swearing and still gotten the awesome message across, but I also understand that they want to sell tickets.

Gary Oldman was excellent too. He is proving to be a very good actor in my opinion.
Posted By: black_raven Re: The Book of Eli - 01/27/10 07:34 PM
I don't remember too much swearing. As for the violence, the world is in survival mode, hopeless and barbaric. I actually liked the use of the violence in the sense that Eli had to find the strength to do what he had to do to complete his journey and was fighting evil people who tried to get in his way or harm others. The fighting was all the more impressive give the twist at the end (not going to say what it is even using the spoiler feature). I liken Eli to being a warrior like St. Michael.
Posted By: drgnfly Re: The Book of Eli - 01/28/10 01:23 AM
Hrm...I said that wrong earlier. Yes - the fighting was an intricate part of the story, but the way they created the blood splatter and such were almost comic-bookish to us. A little over-the-top.

There wasn't much swearing in the beginning, but of course he was by himself mostly, but the second half had quite a bit. I'm not against swearing as it can really get the point across, but it takes away from the point if it's over-done. A little bit goes a long way.

I do love the house scene though. Cute couple. crazy
Posted By: Dealan-de Re: The Book of Eli - 01/28/10 02:39 PM
TJ

>comic-bookish

Don't be pickin' on the comic books.

End of TJ
Posted By: drgnfly Re: The Book of Eli - 01/28/10 03:31 PM
Not pickin on comic books. wink My brother would kick my butt if I ever did that. laugh Just didn't seem right in the movie.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums